There is a serious and irreversible flaw in Camera++ app.

I've had my Passport almost five months now and have taken hundreds of pictures with it. I have the same slow focusing issues well documented by many in other threads. However, as long as a given shot allowed for patience with focus... I could always get a decent shot.

That was... until I downloaded Camera++ app and tried it for the first time.

On the very first shot I could hear an almost grinding sound while watching the camera try to focus. The sound, almost like that of tiny gears in a watch did not stop... just kept going without ever stopping in a focused state. The sound stopped only when I force closed the Camera++ app.

At that point I noticed a loose rattling component within the camera lens whenever I moved the phone around. The rattling was never there before, but now there is definitely a loose part inside the camera lens.

And now... the camera will not focus at all... no matter how much patience is given to a shot.

The Camera++ app definitely caused this now fatal flaw to my camera. It's almost as if the app was trying to force the lens beyond some internal stop... and then finally succeeded until something came loose.

Now I have a $600 phone with an absolutely worthless camera due to a $2.99 app that I was hoping would just enhance the poor OEM focus ability of Passport.

Passport owners - I would strongly suggest stearing well clear of this app.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 09:37 PM
    I find this VERY unlikely.

It's far more reasonable that you have a defective device from the start and the zoom kicked up the bucket.
    kbz1960, BerryRipe and bb10_fan like this.
    02-18-15 10:02 PM
    I find this VERY unlikely.

It's far more reasonable that you have a defective device from the start and the zoom kicked up the bucket.
    Hundreds of pictures (read-> close to a thousand) and it breaks the very first time using the new app.

Sorry, but there is just too much coincidence there to ignore... especially when combined with the noise that was heard for the first time with use of said app.

Now... maybe it was a combination of poor camera design/manufacturing that resulted in a condition close to the end or even just outside of a tolerance band... that was then exacerbated by an app that maybe forced the focusing mechanism with just a bit too much.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:11 PM
    Hundreds of pictures (read-> close to a thousand) and it breaks the very first time using the new app.

Sorry, but there is just too much coincidence there to ignore.

Now... maybe it was a combination of poor camera design/manufacturing that resulted in a condition close to the end or even just outside of a tolerance band... that was then exacerbated by an app that maybe forced the focusing mechanism with just a bit too much.

Posted via CB10
    Warranty should cover that. Send it out!
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    02-18-15 10:15 PM
    I highly doubt an app can exceed any parameter ranges made available by the OS, which are often a subset of the parameter ranges supported by the component manufacturer.

Sounds like really bad luck.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and diegonei like this.
    02-18-15 10:26 PM
    Has anyone elses phone broke by using this app? I have this app and have no problems with it

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.2267
    02-18-15 10:29 PM
    If you still have the app installed, do you mind checking to see what settings you changed, if any?

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2267
    02-18-15 10:33 PM
    The Passport has a gear driven zoom? Dubious.
    02-18-15 10:51 PM
    The Passport has a gear driven zoom? Dubious.
    Focus is driven mechanically I'd assume
    02-18-15 11:20 PM
    I just shook my Q5 and Z10 and heard nothing :|

Both the devices have Camera++ installed and have been using it instead of the stock app. Just providing more insight to the issue.
    02-19-15 03:16 AM

Sorry, but there is just too much coincidence there to ignore... especially when combined with the noise that was heard for the first time with use of said app.

Posted via CB10
    Using Camera++ for months now, and not just use it, I'm testing early builds of it (Passport, Z10, Q10). No issues, focusing works as always. Before making accusations you better send your phone to repair service which will tell you the cause of the problem.

And just for your information, there were numerous times when I and others asked developer about increasing certain ranges for a setting. His reply was always the same, there is no way he can do it if API or hardware doesn't support it. Also read the thread where he explained that focusing mechanism in Camera++ is the one also used in stock camera.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    02-19-15 06:31 AM
    And just for your information, there were numerous times when I and others asked developer about increasing certain ranges for a setting. His reply was always the same, there is no way he can do it if API or hardware doesn't support it. Also read the thread where he explained that focusing mechanism in Camera++ is the one also used in stock camera.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my point. An app is restricted to whatever the OS allows.

Posted via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    02-19-15 07:16 AM
    I guess you see now how unlikely your theory is OP.

Still, you covered by warranty. Make use of that.

You don't have to believe us, your prerrogative.
    02-19-15 08:05 AM
    This also happens on iPhone threads too.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 08:11 AM
    I have Camera++ on my Z30 and it works perfectly. No issues with my camera in Camera++ or any other app.
    02-19-15 08:28 AM