I am traveling a fair distance and want to use my GPS for the first time tomorrow.

I have read and seen quite a few possible apps, but trust the opinions of the CB members much more than reviews and bios on host sites.

Can you please recommend the best, most efficient app for me to use? I would use VZ Navigator but apparently you have to pay for that still? I want something that is pretty cool, with graphics and such like VZN, that can give me turn by turn voice directions, local establishment searches, etc etc. Oh, and of course a FREE app.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions.Thanks
    03-17-09 08:47 PM
    I am traveling a fair distance and want to use my GPS for the first time tomorrow.

I have read and seen quite a few possible apps, but trust the opinions of the CB members much more than reviews and bios on host sites.

Can you please recommend the best, most efficient app for me to use? I would use VZ Navigator but apparently you have to pay for that still? I want something that is pretty cool, with graphics and such like VZN, that can give me turn by turn voice directions, local establishment searches, etc etc. Oh, and of course a FREE app.

VZ Navigator and Garmin may be your only turn-by-turn apps avaialble.

Other than that, BB Maps and Google Maps.

Remember that the turn-by-turns programs use Navteq maps services, they gotta get paid somehow. But VZ Nav is truly the best out there in my opinion. Took a trip last week from Tampa, FL to various spots in Tennessee and worked perfectly. You also get traffic/construction warnings and weather warnings too. It maybe $10 a month but if you've never used it before, you will get your 1st month free with VZW.
    03-17-09 08:57 PM
    I think Garmin is the best. If you are going to use VZNav for 8 months, you should just go ahead and pay the one time fee for Garmin.
    03-17-09 09:03 PM
    amAze is a nice GPS app with turn by turn directions, and its free.

I still like VZNav the best, but its $9.99 a month.
    03-17-09 09:44 PM

If you travel a lot, I recommend you to get one of the pay applications and not the free one. It is because so far the free apps do not have the mature features as the pay apps.

I am using VZ Navigator and I love it. But there are many people on this forum love Garmin Mobile. Since both of them have trial period, so my suggestion to you is to test both of them out and make an educated decision yourself. Don't just take my word or anybody's word for it.

In my humble opinion, the total cost of ownership between these two pay apps should NOT be your deciding factor. And who can tell what is going to happen 10 months later. I don't like to nickel-and-dime thing and I don't think you should. Especially when you have just paid $200 for the phone and have signed up $30 for unlimited data plan plus your calling plan. $10 a month is really nothing as compared to what you are paying every month to use this phone. Set aside the cost, do a comparison yourself, and then pick the GPS app that works best for you and FOR YOU ONLY.

Last but not least, you can write it off if it is for business use.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by substring; 03-17-09 at 09:54 PM.
    03-17-09 09:49 PM
    If you travel a lot, I recommend you to get one of the pay applications and not the free one. It is because so far the free apps do not have the mature features as the pay apps.

I am using VZ Navigator and I love it. But there are many people on this forum love Garmin Mobile. Since both of them have trial period, so my suggestion to you is to test both of them out and make an educated decision yourself. Don't just take my word or anybody's word for it.

In my humble opinion, the total cost of ownership between these two pay apps should NOT be your deciding factor. And who can tell what is going to happen 10 months later. I don't like to nickel-and-dime thing and I don't think you should. Especially when you have just paid $200 for the phone and have signed up $30 for unlimited data plan plus your calling plan. $10 a month is really nothing as compared to what you are paying every month to use this phone. Set aside the cost, do a comparison yourself, and then pick the GPS app that works best for you and FOR YOU ONLY.

Hope this helps.
    Um...I "nickel-and-dime," because I am on disability for my legal blindness and have very limited funds....and just because I spent 200 on a phone has NOTHING to do with me paying for GPS. I stated, I want something free, I wanted opinions on different apps, not what my money should be spent on. And your assumptions are all very wrong.

My mom works for verizon, and if it weren't for that i WOULD NOT have gotten a smartphone. With her discounts I get 50% off all VZW plans. Which means I do NOT pay 30 for my data, I pay 15. And my calling plan is only 5 a month.

I said I want something free, I didnt ask to be basically called cheap for not wanting to pay an extra 5 - 10 a month.

Thanks, but no thanks

Anyone else who has opinions on GPS apps, not my spending, would be appreciated

Don,
    03-17-09 09:57 PM
    Um...I "nickel-and-dime," because I am on disability for my legal blindness and have very limited funds....and just because I spent 200 on a phone has NOTHING to do with me paying for GPS. I stated, I want something free, I wanted opinions on different apps, not what my money should be spent on. And your assumptions are all very wrong.

My mom works for verizon, and if it weren't for that i WOULD NOT have gotten a smartphone. With her discounts I get 50% off all VZW plans. Which means I do NOT pay 30 for my data, I pay 15. And my calling plan is only 5 a month.

I said I want something free, I didnt ask to be basically called cheap for not wanting to pay an extra 5 - 10 a month.

Thanks, but no thanks

Anyone else who has opinions on GPS apps, not my spending, would be appreciated

Don,
    Geez, be defensive much?
    You asked for recommendations and you were given some very fair ones. I don't think that response was condescending in the least.
    How's this for being defensive:

This topic has been beaten to DEATH already. Use the forum search to find other threads with people asking the same exact question before you start a new (unnecessary) thread.
    03-17-09 10:01 PM
    Geez, be defensive much?
    You asked for recommendations and you were given some very fair ones. I don't think that response was condescending in the least.

This topic has been beaten to DEATH already. Use the forum search to find other threads with people asking the same exact question before you start a new (unnecessary) thread.
    Please...do me a favor and tell me where in my post did I say anything about being interested in a paying app? If I wanted one, I wouldn't have posted because I am already aware of the two.

And where did I ask in my original post to have it pointed out that I spent money on my phone so what is 10$ more a month?

I feel I have the right to be defensive when such assumptions are made without first making an attempt to understand WHY I don't want to pay, am I not right?

You may go ahead and be defensive, but when you obviously look down on the fact I have done so, why would you go ahead and do the same? Lol...you're just stooping to my "level," and making youself look no better than I.

Thank you, I am well aware of the "search," which many CB users have made a point to bring up. If you were observant in the least bit, you would had made note to my stating my "legal" blindness.

These forums, let alone searching and posting threads is difficult enough for myself. Which is why I made my OWN thread, which I can subscribe to and have easy access to.

Thanks, again
    03-17-09 10:15 PM
    uh huh.
    Well, I wish you a lot of luck getting helpful responses after the way you treated a perfectly reasonable response from substring.

Of course you have the right to be defensive about anything you want. And we have the right to ignore you.

You're welcome.
    03-17-09 10:21 PM
    From the sound of your first post is seems like you are just using your GPS for a single trip? If so then either use the 7 day free trial of Garmin, or the single day usage of VZ Navigator. I think it's only $2.99 for a single day use.

Or if you're looking for a permanent free GPS try Nav4all. I used it for a bit and it works well. The UI is what you would expect from something free but it works.
    Last edited by Mayze; 03-17-09 at 11:10 PM.
    03-17-09 10:50 PM
    VZ Nav is by far and away the best.
    03-17-09 11:09 PM
    uh huh.
    Well, I wish you a lot of luck getting helpful responses after the way you treated a perfectly reasonable response from substring.

Of course you have the right to be defensive about anything you want. And we have the right to ignore you.

You're welcome.

lol @ font size
    03-17-09 11:17 PM
    I don't think that response was condescending in the least.

I agree. People were trying to help, and you just snap at them.

Did you even read the whole post from substring. He said “do a comparison yourself, and then pick the GPS app that works best for you and FOR YOU ONLY”
    You’re not going to get the best for free. The best costs money for a reason, it’s the best. If you’re not willing or able to shell out the $5.00 a month (after your mommys 50% discount), then you are not going to get all the features that VZNav and Garmin have to offer.
    Last edited by rip14; 03-17-09 at 11:44 PM.
    03-17-09 11:34 PM
    Garmin Mobile is the best by far!
    03-18-09 08:59 PM
    seriously I dont wanna be anal but the original poster is a real ***. He's asking for advice and people are being honest by saying that good turn by turn apps use navteq which isnt free. just because youre on disability and your mom works for VZ doesnt give you a right to talk to people the way you did. Use AMAZE if you dont wanna pay but I dont see why anyone should help u.
    03-18-09 09:41 PM
    I'm going to be getting a Storm sometime soon and I've looked into free GPS too. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I found WHERE from where.com. It has some interesting widgets including one to find the cheapest gas around you. Again, I don't have my storm yet so I don't know how well it works, but you might want to check it out.

just my .02 cents
    03-19-09 12:59 PM
    If you're legally blind why do you need navigation? are you seriously driving? watch out for biological speedbumps....people
    03-19-09 01:30 PM
    If you're legally blind why do you need navigation? are you seriously driving? watch out for biological speedbumps....people
    I was just about to post that!
    03-19-09 01:56 PM
    blind people have feet...
    03-19-09 05:58 PM
    blind people have feet...
    LMAO. Most of them.

And not to be offensive...

But if you can't see your computer screen well enough to use the search function, how are you able to see the Storm screen?
    03-21-09 08:51 PM
    Geez, be defensive much?

Completely agree.
    03-21-09 09:29 PM
    uh huh.

You're welcome.

Ok...this made me laugh. Thank you.
    03-21-09 09:30 PM
    I am considering making this purchase (Garmin). How often are the maps updated? Has anyone run into a problem where a map was out of date?
    03-21-09 09:56 PM
    I'm going to be getting a Storm sometime soon and I've looked into free GPS too. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but I found WHERE from where.com. It has some interesting widgets including one to find the cheapest gas around you. Again, I don't have my storm yet so I don't know how well it works, but you might want to check it out.

just my .02 cents
    Where is garbage.
    03-22-09 07:42 AM
    I know it's an old thread, but LOL why didn't anybody wonder this BEFORE they all got to flaming?
    10-08-10 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD