ive looked around and found 4 other threads regarding this from a few months back. ive tried what was contained in them, didnt come up with anything yet.

BerryWeather has always worked for me by using Cell Location with GPS backup. it always connected and showed the proper location weather. yet this morning, after upgrading to .586, the app failed to update Cell Location and fell back on GPS, which sometimes worked ok. things i tried...

1.) install the newest version over this version - nothing
    2.) delete the whole app and reinstall - nothing
    3.) restore settings from SD card - nothing
    4.) made sure all permissions (especially for all connections and radio) were on allow.

i cant figure out whats wrong and why BerryWeather wont read my current cell location info even though im connected to a cell tower. the confusing thig is it happened right after an OS upgrade. anyone else having problems with this app too? everything else updates as it should.
    03-31-10 12:02 AM
    If you get a straight answer that would be good. My current location hasn't worked in forever. You can try making sure your connecting using bis-b. Other then that I've tried all the same stuff you did. And today getting the repeat alerts again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 06:01 AM
    What are you settings? I'm running a 9700 with the same OS .586 with BerryWeather 2.2.01 registered.

Under Settings - General Settings:
    Forecast Update: Every 30 Minutes
    Advisory Update: Every 15 Minutes

GPS/Cell Location: Cell Location (GPS fallback)
    Networking: Transport Direct TCP/IP

thats my setting and my Cell Location works fine.
    03-31-10 06:52 AM
    What are you settings? I'm running a 9700 with the same OS .586 with BerryWeather 2.2.01 registered.

Under Settings - General Settings:
    Forecast Update: Every 30 Minutes
    Advisory Update: Every 15 Minutes

GPS/Cell Location: Cell Location (GPS fallback)
    Networking: Transport Direct TCP/IP

thats my setting and my Cell Location works fine.
    i assume you have a BB data plan, but i thought the standard data settings for BIS data was BIS-B. my settings update every 15 minutes and have always been set on BIS-B. i thought TCP/IP settings were for non BIS phones. either way, i tried it. it tries to update on either setting and then says "failed".
    Last edited by dictoresno; 03-31-10 at 09:09 AM.
    03-31-10 09:04 AM
    it dint for me either but i had a free version. i thought it was a paid version feature. so i deleted it and jumped to weatherbug.
    03-31-10 09:21 AM
    i assume you have a BB data plan, but i thought the standard data settings for BIS data was BIS-B. my settings update every 15 minutes and have always been set on BIS-B. i thought TCP/IP settings were for non BIS phones. either way, i tried it. it tries to update on either setting and then says "failed".
    yes i have an unlimited bb data plan. i switched to TCP/IP to speed things up, It'll select the first connect be it wifi or bis/bes... its kind of like selecting Auto if there was that option.

Also is your app saying its Registered when you go to the About screen from the menu?

Check you permission. options - applications
    Connections
    USB - allow
    Bluetooth - allow
    Phone - Prompt
    Location Data - Allow
    Internet - Allow
    Wi-fi - Allow

Interactions
    Cross App Comm - Allow
    Device Settings - Allow
    Media - Allow
    App Manage. - Allow
    Themes - Allow
    Input Sim - Deny
    Browser Filter. - Deny
    Recording - Prompt
    Sec. Time Reset - Deny
    Display Infor. While Locked - Deny

User Data all Allow
    03-31-10 10:36 AM
    Cell Location didn't work for me either. It never did.

Don't know if this feature works outside america.
    03-31-10 11:21 AM
    i have all my permissions on allow. and it worked great up until the OS upgrade.
    03-31-10 06:28 PM
    im still having this issue. i figured an OS upgrade to .593 would fix it, but no dice.
    04-02-10 04:07 PM
    I have mine set to GPS (cell location fallback) and BIS-B. Mine updates every hour (as I have it set) and uses my cell location when I am indoors.

I never tried using the cell location (GPS fallback) setting. I'll change to my settings and see what happens.

Do you have this app on your 8900 also? If so, is it updating on that device?
    04-02-10 04:52 PM
    what version of BerryWeather are you using?
    04-02-10 05:26 PM
    what version of BerryWeather are you using?
    newest one, 2.2.01
    04-02-10 07:42 PM
    I changed my settings to the same ones you are using, and my BerryWeather is updating on my 9000.
    04-02-10 07:44 PM
    My Berryweather cell location is also not updating. I'm using OS 545 on 9700.
    04-02-10 09:08 PM
    I'm not sure if this will shed any light on the situation, but I am experiencing the same exact problem. This began happening when I upgraded my phone from the 8900 to the 9700. Could it have anything to do with the fact that its a 3g signal? I'm on OS .330.

Update: To check my theory I manually changed my connection from 3g to edge and within seconds it found my cell location. It definitely has something to do with the 3g signal. I'd be curious if it is carrier specific or not. For the record I have t-mobile.

Last edited by ephesios; 04-02-10 at 11:11 PM.
    04-02-10 11:05 PM
    yea i just switched to EDGE only and sure enough - found my cell location. but the funny thing is, its always worked fine on 3G before. i went back to 3G and tried to update it, again failed. wonder what the issue is. can anyone else verify on .586/.593 OS's it does work? im thinking something is wrong with the towers in my area.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-02-10 at 11:39 PM.
    04-02-10 11:31 PM
    i just realized, Google Maps also doesnt show my current location anymore. it says its unavailable, yet it used to show my location based on cellphone tower i think. is this related?

ok well when i switched to EDGE, Google maps shows my location as it should. is there some local issue thats tower related?
    Last edited by dictoresno; 04-03-10 at 01:59 AM.
    04-03-10 01:52 AM
    I've had this happen twice this week in BW and the location unavailable in GoogleMaps. I haven't changed anything on my phone this week. I wonder if AT&T is doing some network upgrades that are causing slight hiccups.
    04-03-10 08:13 AM
    Hey guys I wanted to report back some info. I travelled outside of my usual area and tried updating via cell location. It does update properly on 3G. It must be an issue all of a sudden with the cell towers near where I live. Every update I've done while I'm traveling works just fine. Hmmmmm.

04-06-10 09:22 AM
    Have you guys seen this thread www.bellshare.com • View topic - BerryWeather 2.2.01 and GPS (Cell Location Fallback) Issue on the BellShare website? Or did one of you start it?

My phone and BerryWeather (paid) 2.2.01 seems to be working fine --- so far.
    04-06-10 09:29 AM
    I've seen that thread and been in contact will bellshare regarding it. For me GPS isn't the issue though, cell location only was. Some of the towers by me stopped transmitting location data. But now that I drove out of my usual area, the towers I'm connecting to are indeed working. Oh well, at least I know its a localized cell site issue and not the OS or app causing the problem.

04-06-10 11:08 AM
    I use the free version of BerryWeather and works fine for me updates correctly. I'm around the greater Philly area maybe as you said ATT is updating something because this morning at around 7:30am I tried to make a call and I got the response "We dont recognize your number" something along those lines but it worked fine right after I hung up and called again so just throwing that out there as well.
    04-06-10 12:46 PM
    I've seen that thread and been in contact will bellshare regarding it. For me GPS isn't the issue though, cell location only was. Some of the towers by me stopped transmitting location data. But now that I drove out of my usual area, the towers I'm connecting to are indeed working. Oh well, at least I know its a localized cell site issue and not the OS or app causing the problem.

Bellshare are blaming Google for this since they say that the location database belongs to Google and that they (BellShare) cannot access it.

This would seem to me to indicate one of two things.
    - The Google dtabase is either not updating or doing so incorrectly.
    - The network (At&T, whoever) is not providing transport for the updates
    04-07-10 07:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD