Hey guys,

Recently the phone began vibrating with incoming emails while in Bedside Mode. I checked all of the regular spots to make sure vibrate was off in Phone Call Only mode and the settings are correct. Has anyone found this issue while running BerryBuzz latest update while in Bedside Mode/Silent Profile? Any suggestions on resolving the same?
    10-23-10 01:03 PM
    Yes, I use bbuzz and yes, on updates it has changed some profile settings. After updates, I go in to editing profiles and make sure all notifications are what I want. I only use 3 profiles so this takes less than 5 minutes. I really like bbuzz and there are so few updates, I am willing to put up with this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-10 01:20 PM
    Thanks for your reply,

so after this update i checked my Silence Profile, and made sure the vibration is off.
    I just got an email, while the Silence Profile was active, and the phone still vibrate.
    As i know, the settings in the BBuzz app are for all profiles, so if i decide to change the vibration to "off" in the app, this change will be active in all my profiles on the phone. I just don�t know what to do.
    10-23-10 01:32 PM
    Hmmmmm. Never had that problem. Sounds like you've set the alert properly. When editing the profile, check under 'other' and make sure vibrate is turned off.

10-23-10 01:43 PM
    It didn�t work.
    I have one question :
    If you go to " Edit Profiles ", and pick one of them, then if you go to " Others ", do you have for example one bar for -Facebook- and then the next one is "Facebook Reminder (BerryBuzz) ?
    10-23-10 01:59 PM
    Yes, I do.

10-23-10 02:11 PM
    Just had a thought. Try creating a new profile and use it to see if the vibrating stops.

10-23-10 02:23 PM
    Great idea, imma try it now .
    10-23-10 02:24 PM
    I got it,

the problem is, that if you change the vibration on the BBuzz app to for example 0.5 sec, but turn off the vibration off on you profile, it will still vibrate.
    So i gotta turn of the vibrates which come from the app, and i have to set them on the Profile Editing screen.
    So now the problem is, how can i turn off the LED during the Silence Profile ? If i turn the LED off on the Editing screen, the LED will still be active because of the BBuzz app, where the colour is selected and is active.

Do you have the same prob. too ?
    10-23-10 02:33 PM
    No, but the only time I have the led turned off is in bedside mode and I've done that through clock>options>bedside mode. Clock is on when charging (charge every night) use bedside profile.

10-23-10 02:51 PM
    The problem is, that there are settings for the vibration trough Settings>Berrybuzz and then for example for your e mail account.

2. There are vibration settings under the Profile Editing Screen (under messages - email )

3. + in the Profile Editing Screen there are second choosable settings for your emails too. ( in the editing screen>Other>Email reminder (BerryBuzz)

So for me it wasnt clear that i gotta go to all 3 setting menus for a profile and turn the vibration off on all of them. It finally worked ! Thanks for your help, i appreciate that .
    10-23-10 02:59 PM
    Vibration, when I'm busy with something, really REALLY gets on my nerves and distracts me.

I usually put the blackberry on silent and check stuff once I'm done and finished with whatever I'm doing. I have screwed DIY projects up big time before.

10-23-10 05:58 PM
    I've had nothing but problems with this app on my 9700. It just seems full of quirks and inconsistencies. No matter how I set my profiles, I cannot have it not use an LED, even when the app is "disabled" (it just uses the old red LED, which I used to use only with calendar reminders.) Also no matter how I set my profiles, the flash will rarely "slow down" when desired. And so on. And all despite battery pulls and tedious reinstallations and of course the current OS. I loved this app at first glance but I wish I'd never installed it because now all my profiles are screwed up badly. Is it just buggy? I'm reasonably competent at these things and hubby is a major geek and we're both just "wtf" that the thing won't do what we set it to. I feel like I need an expert to look through how everything is set up because there must be something amiss.

Why is the "Other" profiles section full of this weird "custom" BerryBuzz stuff that doesn't resemble my selections?

I would delete it again and am only holding out for CS to get back to me because I would hate to reset my profiles back and forth all over again if there is a solution.

And I know this is all so nebulous that it probably won't be easy to respond to, but that's what comes from spending ten hours trying to fix an app with disco lights.

Any reasonable deas will be welcome and appreciated!
    10-31-10 09:16 PM
    Man, I just love this app and don't have any problems with it. I'll do my best to explain. I apologize in advance if I'm telling you things you already know. This post probably should be over in the 3rd Party App forum. Also, in that forum is step-by-step instructions for bbuzz.

When you open bbuzz, menu>edit settings: these are the global settings for ALL notifications, ALL profiles. For the example I'm explaining, under 'other' set Clear LED For Messages On: Opening Messaging App.
    Press the esc key: this is where you set the LED colors and the type of flashing, for ALL profiles. Let's use SMS as the example. Click on SMS and set how you want the LED to notify you. Also there, you'll see an option for reminders, Off or different intervals. (If after you receive a SMS and you don't open the message folder after the time you select, you'll be notified again.) Click on it and set the time interval you want. This is what's showing in your profiles under Other, SMS Reminder (BerryBuzz). Also, be sure to set the vibrate to off, you can turn it on when editing profiles. Esc, save.
    Now edit a profile. Let's use the 'Normal' profile. Select Messages, SMS Text and set the tone, LED: On (this is the bbuzz LED you set above), and set the vibrate to your liking.
    Press Esc, Save and go down to 'Other'. Select SMS Reminder (BerryBuzz) and now you can set how you want to be notified if you don't acknowledge the SMS at the time set above in bbuzz. Different or same tone, LED on or off, vibrate on, off or custom. Esc, Save.

Yes, you'll need to do this for all types of notifications. I found it easier to first do your settings in bbuzz, LED on and vibrate off and then go in to profiles and edit those settings.

I really hope this helps. Once it's set up, bbuzz is a really neat app. I'm always being asked by people, "what does that color mean?" Or "why is your phone flashing?" But what I really like is not having to constantly pick up and check my phone to see if I missed something. The LED tells it all.

11-01-10 12:08 AM
    Man, I just love this app and don't have any problems with it. I'll do my best to explain. I apologize in advance if I'm telling you things you already know. This post probably should be over in the 3rd Party App forum. Also, in that forum is step-by-step instructions for bbuzz...
    Wow, I really appreciate your effort. Whether or not it resolves my issues, it means a lot that you went to such length to try. I know when I really like something, I try hard to make it work for others, too, but one doesn't see that often, so, thank you, very much.

Everything you wrote makes sense, but at least one thing I'm seeing on my screen still doesn't. Maybe not related to my problems but I will ask. I had, for example, a calendar reminder already set before I got bbuzz. And as this is critical to me, I'm glad that bbuzz didn't mess with it -- I was just able to add a disco light to make extra sure I don't miss it, even if I'm going silent. Now, when I edit my normal profile I see the name of my ringtone still there, in fact everything looks the same except I had turned LED off as instructed when I started so that the old red LED wouldn't interfere with the new disco one. But when I go to Other, Calendar Reminder (BBuzz) it's completely different, with an old default Ring Tone, Volume Silent (I had it at 10), Vibrate in holster (I chose always) and Notify during calls set to No (I chose always). My email reminders are similarly inaccurate. But again, these aren't the things that cause me much trouble -- they just don't make sense the way the bbuzz settings do, or the way my normal profile still does (other than LED being turned off as instructed.) It does make me wonder, however, if my installation is buggy.

What is a problem, in the other profile I use a lot, "All Alerts Off", there's no way I've found to stop the LED. Even if I disable bbuzz, I get the old red LED, which I never used to get. And I have no way to edit that profile -- when I try, my only choices are QuickLaunch, QL Screen Capture, Help, New, Switch App, and Close. And when I create a new profile and ask it to be silent, no LED and no Vibrate, it still gives me an LED (the bbuzz ones if enabled, and the old red one if disabled.) So, I can't find a way of having "All Alerts Off" -- only "All Alerts Off except LED".

And then, maybe 20% of the time, the LED just won't come on when I get an email. And another 50% of the time it won't slow down when it should (I set it to every 10 seconds for the first minute, every 30 seconds after.)

Again, I've tried battery pulls, and even a delete and reinstall.

I hope this makes sense. But I don't expect you to untangle it if it doesn't. Still, if you have any more ideas, I'd certainly be grateful! I love the idea of what this app can do, and I love when it works, but the parts that don't work right at all, as well as the inconsistency of those that do, make it borderline at best.

Thank you again.
    11-01-10 01:59 AM
    I've had bbuzz for so many years i honestly can't remember what the default profiles settings looked like. So, I'm not following what you are saying about your calendar. I do know that in my 'normal' profile, I have vibration=custom, vibrate=in holster, i.e., no vibrate out of holster.

True, you cannot edit or delete the 'All Alerts Off' profile. Seems like it should do as it says. Bbuzz does override the LED notifications for that profile. The only way I've been able to turn off ALL notifications is with the 'Bedside' profile; tones=silent, LED & vibrate=off. Then in Clock>options>bedside mode, disable LED=yes, sound profile=bedside. Then, when I want ALL notifications off I go to Clock>Menu>Enter Bedside Mode. (You should be able to set a QL shortcut to enter bedside mode.)

As far as you not always being notified of incoming e-mail, I've never had that problem. The only bbuzz setting I can think of that might interfere with it, is under LED Timeouts, Stop LED Flashing, set this to 'never'. If this doesn't work I hope their CS can help you.

Just FYI... I've used bbuzz in several 9700 OSs starting with .538 up to the current .979 and have not had any issues. Remember to save your bbuzz settings as they can disappear between OS updates, I learned the hard way. Enjoy!!!
    11-01-10 12:13 PM
    ...The only way I've been able to turn off ALL notifications is with the 'Bedside' profile; tones=silent, LED & vibrate=off. Then in Clock>options>bedside mode, disable LED=yes, sound profile=bedside. Then, when I want ALL notifications off I go to Clock>Menu>Enter Bedside Mode. (You should be able to set a QL shortcut to enter bedside mode.)...
    This sounds like a very reasonable solution, but (and I hope this doesn't sound dumb) am I supposed to have a bedside profile? I don't have one listed.

I have set bedside mode to disable LED, and I think your idea has promise, but as far as I can tell I can only get QL to take me to clock, not also menu and enter bedside mode? I didn't intend to ask about my two new apps at once (lol) as QL has been totally easy and flawless, but that shortcut would make a reasonable solution to the "all alerts off" problem, I think. I suppose I could also turn off the device, but toggling is better.

I don't want to ask this but it is a natural progression, and probably where I should have stated, as it is an even more common need. Is there a way to get only vibrate, but no sound and no LED? So to be discreet in a meeting, theater, etc. but still have a signal for important stuff?

Thank you again for your kind assistance, whether or not you choose to continue it. I still haven't heard back from the developer and I really appreciate you going above and beyond as you have. Are there awards here for most helpful members?
    11-01-10 04:54 PM
    Oh, sorry. You'll have to create a Bedside profile if you want one. I created mine to have only phone notification when sleeping (want family to be able to get a hold of me anytime).

I believe QL has the option/setting of launching a task with a sub-routine to emulate the menu key being pressed and selecting down x number of lines. I don't use QL (use Shortcutme) but have read this in these forums. You and your husbank are tech savy, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

As far as getting only vibrate on, I just tried it on my phone and it worked. I edited the 'bedside' profile to turn on vibrate for calls. Then I put my phone in bedside mode and called it. No LED, no tone, only vibrate. But, if that's what you want, there's a default profile 'vibrate' you could use in bedside mode. I just tried it as well, and it works; no led, no tone. The key here is... when bbuzz is installed, the only way to completely turn off the LED is by turning off the LED in clock>bedside mode and putting your phone in bedside mode.

By the way, you're very welcome. I'm glad I can help.
    11-01-10 06:56 PM
    Oh, sorry. You'll have to create a Bedside profile if you want one. I created mine to have only phone notification when sleeping (want family to be able to get a hold of me anytime).
    This is an important thing I need. And I know how to create a new profile (at least until bbuzz told me I have to leave LED on, which is what I'm trying to avoid sometimes) but, at risk of asking a really dumb question, is there a specific option called a "Bedside profile" or is that just what you're calling yours? I've been (what feels like) all over the net, re: bedside mode and re: creating profiles and I don't see how the two connect. Do they? I hope that question makes sense.

As far as getting only vibrate on, I just tried it on my phone and it worked. I edited the 'bedside' profile to turn on vibrate for calls. Then I put my phone in bedside mode and called it. No LED, no tone, only vibrate. But, if that's what you want, there's a default profile 'vibrate' you could use in bedside mode. I just tried it as well, and it works; no led, no tone. The key here is... when bbuzz is installed, the only way to completely turn off the LED is by turning off the LED in clock>bedside mode and putting your phone in bedside mode.
    PROGRESS! Well, at first I was quite dismayed because I tried and it still rang. Then I realized that the call was from a number with a custom ringtone and LED. As soon as I had someone else call me it was vibe only.

Which, I guess partly solves my problem. I really need to have every number be on vibe only, without ringtone or LED, sometimes! And I can't help thinking that's a reasonable option to ask of a "smart" phone with an app designed to be so flexible!

Or maybe my installation really is buggy somehow. Just now, I got an email, opened it (and even deleted it) and the LED should have stopped but it didn't. It went right on until I opened and closed all my empty email accounts. This only happens occasionally, about as often as the LED won't start at all when it should. I have no other problems with my device, btw.

I wish I could just have a few pretty lights for events and contacts and throw the rest away. It has taken over way too much of my phone and my time. But before I rant even more...

By the way, you're very welcome. I'm glad I can help.
    You're really nice. Thank you again!!!

Want a free 9700? Just stand outside my window in a minute. Beware of shattering glass.
    11-01-10 09:33 PM
    on a related note...

i have my bedside mode set to all alerts off. when my 9700 is in bedside mode it will do a really short vibrate when it gets emails...is there anyway to get rid of this?

Its only been since the last update or two of berrybuzz...
    11-01-10 09:33 PM
    Mskitty... Your custom contact ringtones is not part of bbuzz; it's the OS. Select your contact>edit, scoll down to edit the custom tone. Make sure all the settings are set to "current profile". Now if you are using the vibrate profile, it won't tone when that contact calls. If you have LED off in bedside mode, and you are in bedside mode, you won't have to worry about any custom contact LEDs set in bbuzz overriding it.
    The "bedside profile" is a profile I created because none of the pre-loaded profiles did what I wanted while the phone was "beside my bed"; I wanted all alerts off except for phone. I called it 'bedside' just because that was the term used in the clock app.

Thank you for the comments, you are kind ** blushing **

UN4GTBL... In bbuzz, select your e-mail account and turn vibrate to Off. If in a specific profile you want the e-mail vibrate On, edit the profile to set it to On.

11-01-10 10:56 PM
    Mskitty... Was thinking about your e-mail notification not turning off and thought of something. I have all e-mail accounts, SMS & MMS to show in the main Message Folder. When I open the main messages folder, the notifications turn off. Do you have yours set to show only in their respective folders? That could be the problem and if that's something you have to have, then you can set bbuzz to turn off notificatins to 'First Trackball/Keyboard Activity'.

Gotta go and put this phone in Bedside Mode, if you get my drift. Will check back in 6-7 hours.

11-01-10 11:16 PM
    Thank you for the idea, Starchit. Doesn't seem to make much difference.

And my profiles got so screwed up, I actually went and deleted the app again, cleaned everything out as best I could and set it all back to normal, except for LED off (knowing how the app likes it), reinstalled it, and there's still so many inconsistencies...if support doesn't get in touch by tomorrow (my ticket "disappeared" from their site so I added a new one) I'm gonna give up.

Perhaps the weirdest thing yet is a post on their site about how with 5.0 it is best to not use vibrate because it can effect other features.

So to get the pretty lights, I have to give up vibrate?

Am I the only person who wanted this app to give them more information, and also wants to have their phone in a movie theater or meeting on nothing but vibrate so I can screen calls and messages discreetly? I was able to do that before I got a smart phone. Heck, I could do that with a pager.
    11-02-10 02:30 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I can understand your frustration. Be sure you get your $ back.

You said "to get the pretty lights I have to give up vibrate?" NO. What they were talking about (or what I got out of it), you need to turn off vibrate in bbuzz and turn it on in your profiles. If you have vibrate on in bbuzz, turning it off in profiles doesn't always work. Now getting the LED to turn off with bbuzz is an issue. Perhaps in a later release? Besides, people who purchase bbuzz, do so to customize the LED, not to turn it off.

Not that I don't believe you, but I would love to get my hands on your phone to try to fix it. That's what I do... Help people with their problems, not all tech problems.

This app works perfectly for me and has for the past 4+ years. The only time I want the LED off is when I'm sleeping (bedside mode). When in a theatre, opera, symphony, etc. I turn off my phone; no one is going to interrupt my good time. In a meeting, (depending on which 'chair' I'm at) it's either turned off or face down on the table in front of me on vibrate. In a restaurant, on vibrate, I'm not the only one with a flashing light.

Looking forward to meeting you again in these forums. If you want, PM me to let me know what happens between you and bbuzz CS.

11-02-10 08:56 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I can understand your frustration. Be sure you get your $ back.
    Thanks, again you are really nice, as are the people at MobiHand who are trying to get someone at Bellshare to help me.

You said "to get the pretty lights I have to give up vibrate?" NO. What they were talking about (or what I got out of it), you need to turn off vibrate in bbuzz and turn it on in your profiles. If you have vibrate on in bbuzz, turning it off in profiles doesn't always work.
    If I may ask what may be another dumb question, but maybe this will lead to an epiphany (in which case it will be worth looking even more dumb) when you say "turn off vibrate in bbuzz" do you mean:

1. In Options, BerryBuzz, the list of Messages/IMs/Reminders/Phone/System/Contact LEDs? Because there they give a length of Vibrate that I would think should be useful and not turned off, if one wants Vibrate. or,
    2. In Select a Sound Profile, Set Ring Tones/Alerts, the list of Phone/Messages/IMs/Reminders/Other, where all but the last are my regular profiles, and "Other" is a list of BerryBuzz profiles(?) This "Other" list has confused me from day one because the settings seem fairly erroneous, i.e. they don't resemble my original profile (though my device's behavior, such as Ring Tone, does basically follow what is in my original profile.) The one thing that does make sense in the bbuzz profiles is that vibration is getting its length information from the Options (1, above) that I set, and is working right. Should I turn off something thing that is working right, that seems to getting its length information from the Options? or
    3. Is there someplace else to turn it off "in bbuzz?"

So if option 2 (and yes, now I am feeling completely dumb) am I supposed to overall, to use this app: first set my profiles to turn LED off, then set what I want from Options -> BerryBuzz, and THEN change ALL the BBuzz profiles (except "All Alerts Off" which is untouchable)? The instructions sure aren't clear about this, on their site or anywhere I could find.

Not that I don't believe you, but I would love to get my hands on your phone to try to fix it. That's what I do... Help people with their problems, not all tech problems.
    OH, I can't help feeling like I need someone who really knows this app to do this. My husband is a Senior Network Administrator for a large government contract and his words for the instructions and behavior we've been seeing are almost as unpostable as those for the developer's (lack of) response.

We're huge fans of you, however, and that goes for whether or not you want to continue with this mess.

I'm gonna PM you as you offered, briefly. Thank you.
    11-02-10 03:56 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD