Can someone tell me what Opera does and it's benefits?

none of this technical mumbo jumbo either, I just wanna know practically what it's used for and how it could benefit my Storm.

Thanks All!
    12-01-09 03:50 PM
    Well, it certainly looks nice. Certainly feels like a desktop browser that's been shrunk down on a phone.

Beyond that, the beta on my 9700 is pretty buggy and I end up not using it very often.
    12-01-09 04:17 PM

none of this technical mumbo jumbo either, I just wanna know practically what it's used for and how it could benefit my Storm.

Thanks All!
    It's a fast Web bowser for phones.
    12-01-09 04:57 PM
    I personally noticed that there are some websites that the BlackBerry browser won't access that the Opera browser will. Since I am a college student one major one for me was Black Board. On the Blackberry browser I could not log in. On Opera it allows me to, and that is great. Also the Opera browser is quicker when viewing large websites I think.
    12-01-09 05:10 PM
    You know when you have a .zip file on your hard drive? The content is compressed so that it takes up less disk space.

Browsers like Opera Mini compress the page you are viewing before it is sent to your phone. So it becomes much smaller (up to 90% smaller), which means that you save time (and money if you pay per MB).

When you open a page it doesn't get the page directly, but sends off a request to the Opera Mini servers. The servers then get the page, compress it, and pass it on to your phone.
    12-02-09 01:28 AM
    What's a .zip file? and what in the heck is disk space?!

JOKING JOKING.

Thanks for your explanations everyone. So is Opera still in Beta stages in the sense that it's buggy as balls? Because I dont think I'll bother if that's the case.
    12-02-09 09:47 AM
    So if Opera is downloaded can both it and the BB browser be used together or is it one or the other?
    12-02-09 12:18 PM
    Plain and simple it makes browsing the internet faster(alot faster) on your phone. Theres some touch sensitivity issues to get used to at first but overall its a bigtime improvement over the stock bb browser.
    12-02-09 12:21 PM
    So if Opera is downloaded can both it and the BB browser be used together or is it one or the other?
    You can use both,or i should say both will run together on the phone. When trying to download some stuff from opera it will switch to the bb browser to complete download to your phone.
    12-02-09 12:23 PM
    Opera is my browser of choice on both my desktop and laptop computers. So naturally, I wanted it on my Storm (1 at the time). I did not like it, however. Though it was a bit faster, navigating was too difficult and the lack of the keyboard popping up, made it even less desirable. I just tried the newest beta on my S2 and took it off right away. I'll have to hold on to the BB browser method for a while longer, I guess. For your home computers though, I cannot recommend Opera highly enough...in my opinion, better than either IE or FireFox.
    12-02-09 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD