Okay, I tried the trial version of empower a while back and I just downloaded the trial for bbsmart. I was wanting to see what most people preferred and why. I used empower so long ago, that I don't really remember a whole lot to make a good comparison, so I was hoping my fellow crackerberry users could lend a hand!!

Any info is much appreciated.

Oh yeah, and I'm talking about the pro-version of empower just to clarify.
    08-13-08 05:50 PM
    I don't have any experience with BBSmart, but I can tell you that I have been using EMpower PRO and love it!

I just recently upgraded to 4.5 OS and found that I even prefer EMpower PRO over RIM's HTML solution. I personally don't think you can go wrong with EMpower, but again... I can't speak to BBSmart.

-Grand
    08-13-08 06:27 PM
    Does your Empower PRO work on OS 4.5? Did it work automatically or did you have to re-install it.
    08-13-08 07:14 PM
    Empower pro is a great app. I have 4.5 now so i ditched it. It was one of my favorite applications. No icon, takes over automatically and gives you options when you hit your menu button. You will definitley like it...
    08-13-08 07:17 PM
    so no one has experience with both to do a comparison?
    08-14-08 10:14 AM
    so no one has experience with both to do a comparison?

IMO, 4.5 HTML is by far better then both of them. You may want to consider holding off untill you try it.
    08-14-08 10:28 AM
    IMO, 4.5 HTML is by far better then both of them. You may want to consider holding off untill you try it.
    I wasn't really aware that 4.5 did the whole HTML thing. I know it's out there for the 8330, but I'm nervous about upgrading. Kinda want to wait for my provider to release it, but God only knows when that will be.
    08-14-08 10:30 AM
    Does your Empower PRO work on OS 4.5? Did it work automatically or did you have to re-install it.
    It is weird because I've read posts from people having success with EMPower on 4.5 and others who haven't had any luck with it. I uninstalled EMPower Pro 'BEFORE' I upgraded to 4.5, then went to getempower.com from my blackberry, it auto-detected my device and OS, and I just installed the recommended version it gave me (3.0.72.7). Another thing I've noticed, is that if I go to "switch application", EMPower is no longer listed. On 4.3, it was always listed.

Anyways, so far so good... no issues. OH, and I'm using the official MTS release on my Sprint Curve.

-Grand
    08-14-08 12:37 PM
    I have both Empower and BBSmart. Both are good programs. My view is that they are still useful post upgrade to OS4.5 since they include features not included in the standard BB viewer.

As to compatibility with OS4.5. Technically they are not compatible; tech support for each has confirmed this for me, and each claims an upgrade will be forthcoming.

As of now though, I've had better luck with BBSmart because it'll open all messages, even non-compatible ones (it does this by either opening the message in the BBSmart view or it defaults to the BBview); whereas Empower will lock up when there's a msg that's not compatible.

For what it's worth.
    08-14-08 01:14 PM
    I have both Empower and BBSmart. Both are good programs. My view is that they are still useful post upgrade to OS4.5 since they include features not included in the standard BB viewer.

As to compatibility with OS4.5. Technically they are not compatible; tech support for each has confirmed this for me, and each claims an upgrade will be forthcoming.

As of now though, I've had better luck with BBSmart because it'll open all messages, even non-compatible ones (it does this by either opening the message in the BBSmart view or it defaults to the BBview); whereas Empower will lock up when there's a msg that's not compatible.

For what it's worth.
    awsome information, much appreciated!! Just one more quick question for ya though, if you don't mind. For someone who is yet to go to 4.5, which one would you suggest. I think I'm leaning towards BBsmart, but then again, I forget what empower was like.
    08-14-08 01:17 PM
    awsome information, much appreciated!! Just one more quick question for ya though, if you don't mind. For someone who is yet to go to 4.5, which one would you suggest. I think I'm leaning towards BBsmart, but then again, I forget what empower was like.
    Honestly, I don't know now. I had been using Empower and liked it a lot. But since I've been using BBSmart, post OS4.5, I've grown accustomed to it. I know this is not much help, but for now that's the best I can say (at least until each program's been updated and I've tried both at that point).

Again though, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Of course, now, while you're trying to decide, even the slightest difference between them seems important, but in the long run, they're both good.
    08-14-08 01:53 PM
    Honestly, I don't know now. I had been using Empower and liked it a lot. But since I've been using BBSmart, post OS4.5, I've grown accustomed to it. I know this is not much help, but for now that's the best I can say (at least until each program's been updated and I've tried both at that point).

Again though, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Of course, now, while you're trying to decide, even the slightest difference between them seems important, but in the long run, they're both good.
    thanks...that actually does help some.
    08-14-08 01:57 PM
    i personally have empower pro, i have 4.5.0.66 and i prefer RIM's HTML over empowers, so i just use empower as my default PIN message program now
    08-14-08 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD