Hi Everybody,

I've just put the finishing touches on a v1.2.1 beta version of BBSmart Alarms Pro that I'd like to get your feedback on. This upgrade was mainly aimed at fixing the issues some people were having with OS 4.3 and 4.5 devices (in particular, alarms going off after dismissed and irregular snooze time behavior). Additionally, it removes the "auto snooze" behavior which would snooze an unattended alarm automatically after one minute.

Please note that I was unable to reproduce these issues myself, and they appear to have been caused due to bugs RIM introduced in the specific OSs that are affected. So, I'm counting on your feedback to let me know if the issues are now fixed

Also note this is just a beta version and is not the official v1.2.1 release.

How to install
    You can install the update from the following OTA site:
    Beta testing has now closed

You can install over the top of v1.1 and all your existing alarms and settings should be preserved.

Feedback
    v1.2.1 is now in feature freeze, which means that of course while I do encourage you to submit additional feature requests they will not be included in this release. The main aim with this release is just to track down any bugs, reliability testing, etc.

Since this is just a minor release, we won't be doing the usual giveaway of free copies to beta testers, etc. We'll do that for the releases of major versions (2.0, 3.0, etc.)

Please do feel free just to post your feedback here. Thanks!

Update 25th August:
    I've now just released v1.2.1 for beta testing. Please note that the installation link has changed so make sure you install this new version for testing.

I'm hoping this release will well and truly quash the snooze & dismiss bugs experienced with OS 4.3.0.127 and early 4.5 OS releases. Additionally, it includes some algorithm enhancements to minimize battery impact and a few graphical tweaks.
    Last edited by eZainny; 09-02-08 at 08:19 PM.
    08-17-08 07:23 AM
    8830 with official verizon 4.xxxx.19x OS.

I may be missing the point of the beta.

I am one of those who does not want the BB to keep ALARMING if I'm not around to DISMISS it.

If that was one of the issues addressed - mine still snoozes for a bit and then ALARMS again, over and over if I do not manually DISMISS IT.

Using the beta 1.2....

Edited to add: Can't a ZERO value be added to the Snooze-time drop-down list?
    Last edited by F2; 08-17-08 at 11:09 AM.
    08-17-08 10:17 AM
    Paid Owner.
    8830 OS 4.5.0.51

Downloaded and will check it.

I have experienced "alarms going off after dismissed and irregular snooze time behavior" in 1.1
    08-17-08 10:26 PM
    8330 OS 4.3.0.127

Installed 1.2 yesterday.

Snooze and dismiss still broken for me.
    08-18-08 10:39 AM
    paid owner
    OS 4.5.0.66
    Downloading it now...I havent noticed any of these issues in the past but I will pay attention more closely. Will leave feedback
    08-18-08 10:53 AM
    paid owner
    OS 4.5.0.66

I am going to give her a try and see how she goes!!! I havent had any problems with 1.1 as of yet.. keeping fingers crossed for 1.2
    08-18-08 12:39 PM
    8330 OS 4.3.0.127

Installed 1.2 yesterday.

Snooze and dismiss still broken for me.
    Hi noroll,

Would you be able to start from a fresh install (perform an uninstall of what you've got and install the v1.2 beta from the link in my original post) and run me through the exact steps you are doing to cause both problems.

Be as specific is as possible as to what is on the screen at any time and exactly what you did.

I've got an 8330 simulator with OS 4.3.0.124 and no matter what I do I can't reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
    Neil.
    08-18-08 06:18 PM
    Hey Neil, I did uninstall 1.1 and did a fresh install of 1.2

I did a test alarm Sunday and it worked fine. 10 min snooze and I dismissed from the alarm screen then opened the program and my test alarm was gone.
    I thought all was well.

I then set up my alarms. #1 is Monday to Thursday 7AM #2 is Friday 5:40AM both with a 10 min snooze

This morning it went off at 7AM I hit the snooze and I’ll say 2 min later it went off again…I got up at 7:20 and I think I had to hit the snooze about 7 times in that 20 mins.

I then dismissed the alarm from the alarm screen but as I always do I open the program (from the icon) to check if the alarm is still active and it was. I then dismissed it again from there, which always works.

I’ll pay more attention tomorrow morning if I missed something…And yes I’m not good at describing this stuff

Oh I should add...When I hit the snooze it does show 10min and starts counting down.

For the heck of it I just uninstalled and reinstalled the program again. Did a test regular alarm (non recurring), worked great. I set up my alarms but instead of using one of my file songs I left it Electric piano, who knows…will see in the morning.

Also I just remembered…Sometimes after hitting the snooze a few times then dismissing when I open the alarm list there are two active alarms (purple bars) in the snoozed alarm list. I have to then dismiss both.
    Last edited by noroll; 08-19-08 at 12:49 AM.
    08-18-08 11:44 PM
    Neil,

I just installed the beta. I've done several test alarms over the course of the morning, and it's looking like everything is working fine now. Sweet!

I'm running a Curve on version 4.3.0.127.

I was formerly using an 8830 on 4.2.2.196, and the alarms worked properly on that one. When I upgraded my phone I started experiencing the erratic behavior others have noticed.

Thanks for your work on this.
    Josh
    08-19-08 08:43 AM
    I installed the Alarms Pro update this morning on my 8830 (OS v4.2.2.196). No problems so far (nothing broken on a device that didn't previously have issues!), but I will continue to monitor.

FYI, I for one liked the "auto snooze" feature, but I'll get over it. IMO, if someone doesn't notice an alarm after a full minute, continuing to play the alarm uninterrupted is not going to help -- they obviously had a few too many the night before! Might you consider adding an option to enable/disable the feature? Not a big deal either way...
    08-19-08 08:54 AM
    After I uninstalled last night I let the BB restart then for good measure after it had finished I did a battery pull…Then reinstalled 1.2 and left it on the default alarm sound.

Worked flawlessly this morning. Thanks!
    08-19-08 11:11 AM
    Neil,

Well, things decided to go haywire again this morning. Apparently the alarms only go nuts when my defenses are down--namely, first thing in the morning.

I have two morning alarms--one for wake up time and one to let me know that I'm going to be late. Both did the one minute snooze thing (instead of the five minutes I had it set for). Usually things get worse from this point, so I just switched the alarms off.

If it matters, one was using an MP3 ringtone as the alert, and the other was referencing an MP3 in my music folder.

Josh
    08-20-08 07:00 AM
    I don't use snooze, but I'm wondering if this release will initiate the alarm with the power turned off. I have an 8300 with os 4.5.0.52 and am a paid owner.

Update: I just answered my own question after downloading the beta; the alarm still required the power to be on, it will not power up the device. I'd surely like to see that feature in a future release.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sbs8331; 08-20-08 at 10:51 AM.
    08-20-08 08:26 AM
    Installed and same issues.

Dismissed alarm, it re-alarmed two more times. 1st within one minute, second within maybe 2 minutes. Didn't use snooze.

I am using an MP3 on the media card as the source.

I don't remember any issues until I upgraded from 4.2 to 4.5.0.51 OS.
    08-20-08 09:11 AM
    Thanks for all your feedback guys. Still looking in to this issue and hope I can get a release to you soon which will correct some of these OS 4.3 and 4.5 issues.

Cheers,
    Neil.
    08-20-08 07:30 PM
    Neil,

I upgraded my Curve to OS 4.5.0.56 yesterday, and this morning the alarms worked flawlessly. I woke up to an alarm set to one of the included tones, and later an alarm from a media card tune told me I was going to be late for work.

For what it's worth, I was always trying to use ringtones or tunes from my media card when I had the issue. I never thought to try one of the included tones until someone else mentioned it.

Josh
    08-21-08 06:59 AM
    Worked flawlessly for two days after 1.2 This morning it's broke again.

When I open the program it shows 2 snoozed alarms active.
    08-21-08 10:20 AM
    Three days of use and no issues to report with my Curve and OS 4.5.0.55. I think I'm in the clear.

Thanks, Neil.

Josh
    08-23-08 10:43 PM
    Hi All,

I've just released v1.2.1 for testing. I'm hoping this well and truly nails the problems that you are still experiencing noroll.

Please see the first post in this thread for more details.

Thanks,
    Neil.
    08-25-08 05:05 AM
    Just downloaded and will try it out.

Last version seemed better. Worked perfect the first day, then malfunctioned sometimes (was re-alarming after dismissal) but then strangely then started working correctly for the the last week...

Thank you as always
    08-25-08 10:14 AM
    Neil,

I am going to download the new update and give it a shot. The first update broke on me this morning after about a week of flawless performance. I think I accidentally bumped one of the side keys instead of clicking Snooze, and the alarm disappeared. Then it started going off every minute instead of every five minutes.

Thanks for working on this...
    Josh
    08-28-08 01:31 PM
    Not sure what to say. Have the new update, one day it's fine and works perfect, one day it re-alarms several times after one minute...

Conflict with another program that's running? I don't know.
    08-28-08 01:42 PM
    Downloaded 1.2.1 Monday. First time I hit snooze Tuesday morning (10 min) It went off again after 1 min. I hit again and it went 10min and has worked flawlessly ever since�Beats me

I haven't given up as I love this program.
    08-28-08 02:21 PM
    I installed the update yesterday, and this morning the alarm was broken again. It was going off every minute after I hit snooze. I'm going to do a clean install today; yesterday I just installed the new version over the previous update. Again, I'm running 4.5.0.56.

Thanks again for your work on this, Neil.

Josh
    08-29-08 08:41 AM
    I Have an issue. I have my berry on password lock but when my alarm rings and i put in my password to unlock phone and try to snooze or dismiss the alarm, i get the hour glass and nothing happenes. It always freezes, Why is this?
    08-29-08 11:10 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD