Good Morning All :-)

I have an issue with BBSAK ... I recently put the new software leak on my 8520 and to do this I backed up my 3rd party Apps with BBSAK. When they were restored after my 8520 software upgrade, I went into Option > Applications and it shows only BBSAK Restore, it doesnt show the individual apps (I guess this is due to Bkacking up the apps in BBSAK, and then it restores them as one line, rather than individuals!) No massive issue with this, although I cant view the app versions no's etc ...

The problem come sthis morning, I click on SocialScope which tells me;
    "SocialScope Lite 0.9.5.166 is now available - you are running 0.9.5.159". So, naturally I clicked 'Install Upgrade' which tells me it will over-write the 'BBSAK Restore' (which is showing in my Applications List. I continued and of course, this then wiped all my 3rd partys Apps on the device and left me only with the new SocialScope.

How do I get around this issue? I want to upgrade to the new SS but also want to keep my current apps!

Help please dudes :-D
    11-25-10 02:50 AM
    BBSAK sucks for backing up apps and restoring them later on, because it cant backup each individual app to each individual alx or jad file, instead it lumps them all together under one entry, which sucks. Its only good for having a backup of the cods and creating jads/alx out of them, but not for restoring them. BBSAK has had this issue since this function became available to the program. I pointed it out to the developer around version 1.7 or earlier 1.8, but he said he was going to "look into it".

Are you sure it wiped all the other apps or just removed the entry in the applications list? You just cant find the icon for the others app anywhere right?

If it wiped out all the others, one way you could solve this is by making a jad or alx file for each individual application you have in the backup folder. Get all the cods for one application and make an alx file, and so on for each app. Then install them using the alx you created with desktop manager or move them to the memory card and use the jad files.
    This is only worth it for applications that are sold as is and there is no way to download them again, like some games where you purchase them directly from the developer. If they can be downloaded through mobihand or appworld, i would suggest you do that, since its faster. From mobihand you can just login to your account from your computer and send each application download link to your phone via email.

There is a thread somewhere in this forum which tells you how to backup third party apps with the bb desktop manager. Using desktop manager will back them up correctly, each app into their respective alx file. Just for when you want to do it again.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-25-10 at 03:37 AM.
    11-25-10 03:24 AM
    The first time I tried to restore 3rd party apps with BBSAK was my last! That is one MAJOR flaw with the application that needs to be addressed - pronto!

As the previous poster said, using DM to back up these apps is much safer (imho). As a matter of fact, every couple of months I'll make a backup to keep, "just in case".

Search for "backing up 3rd party applications", and when I get to my pc, I'll also add a link here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-25-10 10:43 AM
    I found the thread that explains how to back up 3rd party apps using DM.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/
    11-25-10 10:59 AM
    its just half a device switch...
    11-25-10 11:27 PM
    Use BBsak to backup the apps, then use Dm to load the alx from the bbsak backup file. Every app will be loaded separately. I think you'll find most directions also state this method.
    Leapin_Toufu likes this.
    11-26-10 05:32 AM
    This is a very interesting thread as for the last year I had been backing up and reinstalling with BBSAK without issues. I just used to click on back up to back up and then restored with the modify COD option and installed the backed up apps in a couple of batches. I did this because in 1.7 the restore apps option did not work or wasn't even there, I can't remember. Anyway because of the new version I tried the restore apps option instead. While it was way more convenient and flawless in instalation, it leaves me now with the same dilema mentioned above.

I guess next time is back to the old school COD method

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD