I went ahead and downloaded BBmem today even though I have meterberry since it was just a buck I thought why not see how close they are to each outher. Well after a few battery pulls the two apps have consistently been displaying about 4 MB off from each other.

So which would you trust?
    08-29-09 06:40 PM
    I own both and I think nothing beats Meterberry. Cashew is pretty awesome and a good member of the community.
    08-29-09 06:44 PM
    I went ahead and downloaded BBmem today even though I have meterberry since it was just a buck I thought why not see how close they are to each outher. Well after a few battery pulls the two apps have consistently been displaying about 4 MB off from each other.

So which would you trust?
    MeterBerry displays free application memory, which matches what is shown in the OS's Options (wrench) -> Memory screen.

Thanks Mr. Spock.
    08-29-09 06:45 PM
    MeterBerry displays free application memory, which matches what is shown in the OS's Options (wrench) -> Memory screen.

Thanks Mr. Spock.
    Is that not the same as the free flash that BBMem displays? I really don't understand it very well lol

Oh and I do agree I love my MeterBerry
    08-29-09 06:50 PM
    Is that not the same as the free flash that BBMem displays? I really don't understand it very well lol

Oh and I do agree I love my MeterBerry
    I obviously don't know how BBMem is coded, but I would assume so.

Does MeterBerry match what is shown under Options (wrench) -> Memory?
    08-29-09 07:11 PM
    yes it's exactly the same as whats in my options >memory

Is it just reading and displaying it from that reading in the options? or is taking a reading of it's own?
    08-29-09 07:14 PM
    yes it's exactly the same as whats in my options >memory

Is it just reading and displaying it from that reading in the options? or is taking a reading of it's own?
    All applications interface with the OS through a set of APIs - a predefined set of functions that do certain things. MeterBerry makes a call to the OS requesting it return the amount of free application memory, and then displays it. Essentially taking a reading of its own. MeterBerry doesn't access the Options screen directly, that's not possible.
    08-29-09 07:17 PM
    All applications interface with the OS through a set of APIs - a predefined set of functions that do certain things. MeterBerry makes a call to the OS requesting it return the amount of free application memory, and then displays it. Essentially taking a reading of its own. MeterBerry doesn't access the Options screen directly, that's not possible.
    That makes sense, Thanks for the explanation. I'm wishing the maker of BBmem would get on and help like you are. I'm starting to regret my 99 cent investment lol.

Here are my readings:

meterberry 26.3MB free
    BBmem flash 29.0MB free
    BBmem Ram 21.8MB free

I don't understand it.
    08-29-09 07:26 PM
    That makes sense, Thanks for the explanation. I'm wishing the maker of BBmem would get on and help like you are. I'm starting to regret my 99 cent investment lol.

Here are my readings:

meterberry 26.3MB free
    BBmem flash 29.0MB free
    BBmem Ram 21.8MB free

I don't understand it.
    MeterBerry's main screen where the application memory reading is displayed updates once per minute. Likewise for the home screen icon. Perhaps BBMem's reading doesn't update automatically?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-09 07:55 PM

Here are my readings:

meterberry 26.3MB free
    BBmem flash 29.0MB free
    BBmem Ram 21.8MB free

I don't understand it.
    Witmen,
    I'm the author of BBmem software. Let me try and explain the difference to you. The Flash memory is the same memory that is displayed in the options screen. The reason that this number may be slightly different is because I use powers of 2 when converting from bytes to Mb, so it would be 1024 * 1024 (Multiplier of 1,048,576) instead of 1,000,000. This seemed more logical for me as a CS guy, but with some recent feedback, I'm working on adding an option to change the multiplier in the newest version. The Ram is a different portion of your Blackberry's memory. This is like the ram in your computer, and fluctuates a lot. I hope that answers your question,
    Ryan
    08-30-09 08:11 AM
    MeterBerry's main screen where the application memory reading is displayed updates once per minute. Likewise for the home screen icon. Perhaps BBMem's reading doesn't update automatically?

BBMem has a variable update rate (you can change it in the options) and the default is once per minute. The homescreen icon is updated at the same time as the application update.
    Ryan
    08-30-09 08:12 AM
    Hey Ryan,

I knew you were on crackberry somewhere, Thanks for getting a hold of me. and explaining the situation. And what your saying does make sense.
    08-30-09 08:29 AM
    MeteBerry uses the same power of 2 divider (1024 * 1024), and it always matches the Options -> Memory screen exactly.

I'm not sure how that explains the discrepency?
    08-30-09 08:53 AM
    Ok now I'm confussed again.

Meterberry 28.9
    bbmem flash 31.0
    bbmem ram 24.1

Oh well lol
    08-30-09 08:56 AM
    I just purchased meterberry on CB app store and the homescreen icon isn't displaying any stays. Just stows the regular icon even so I set to change every 10 seconds. Help?

08-31-09 09:12 AM
    Is meterberry going to be updated to work with Higher 5.0 builds like .190 & .222
    08-31-09 09:23 AM
    Nevermind, battery pull solved the issue. LOVE the homescreen icon showing available memory and battery stats. Great job on meterberry!

08-31-09 09:41 AM
    One question. Lol
    Does the reset feature in meterberry do what quickpull does? I.e. Simulate battery pull? If so I can dump quickpull, no?

08-31-09 09:44 AM
    One question. Lol
    Does the reset feature in meterberry do what quickpull does? I.e. Simulate battery pull? If so I can dump quickpull, no?

Yes if you hit reset device under meterberry options
    08-31-09 10:22 AM
    I have to agree. If your program uses the same power of 2 divider and it mates the memory screen exactly, then why doesn't his program do the same? Did I miss something?

Does bbmem work on the .191 os? Anyone know? And how much memory does it use once it runs?

MeteBerry uses the same power of 2 divider (1024 * 1024), and it always matches the Options -> Memory screen exactly.

I'm not sure how that explains the discrepency?
    Last edited by tmp3150; 08-31-09 at 06:48 PM.
    08-31-09 06:44 PM
    I have to agree. If your program uses the same power of 2 divider and it mates the memory screen exactly, then why doesn't his program do the same? Did I miss something?

Does bbmem work on the .191 os? Anyone know? And how much memory does it use once it runs?
    I am looking into why the os seems to be returning a slightly different value. To answer your question, bbmem should work for all os versions 4.6 and higher. The application was coded to use as little memory as possible. You shouldn't notice any difference in your usable memory as bbmem only takes up a few kilobytes.

09-01-09 06:22 PM
    Has this been fixed? Just curious.

I am looking into why the os seems to be returning a slightly different value. To answer your question, bbmem should work for all os versions 4.6 and higher. The application was coded to use as little memory as possible. You shouldn't notice any difference in your usable memory as bbmem only takes up a few kilobytes.

09-19-09 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD