CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Exclamation BBM device trasnfer security issue

We have a bunch of Blackberrys on a BES Express at my work which I am responsible for. Sometimes it has been necessary to have users switch devices. I seem to have found a glaring security issue with BBM contact list during transfers. Hopefully I can explain it below, bear with me.

Using Desktop manager I transfer User A from one device to another, wipe User A's old device and transfer it to User B. This is all done with Desktop Manager which as I understand it is suppose to update your PIN to all your contacts. The issue occurs if User A and User B have a shared contact and that contact has a chat still open with User A. If the contact messages User A using the open chat after the transfer, User B will receive it.

This issue occured most recently when I replaced our CEO's blackberry and I took over use of his old one, I then started receiving messages from a manager that were intended for the CEO. Hence the security issue. Upon investigation I found that the manager had not ended his chat and this seems to be the cause.

Anyone else notice this behavior?
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    6,308 Global Posts
    PIN
    G

I haven't heard of this yet but it sounds like a good reason to add another item to your "pre-switch" checklist.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.