Hmm, need to implement an iq check:

if (c == myDelCommand) {
    if (iq < 90) {
    <insert fancy alert about how not enough iq to perform action here>
    } else {
    delFile();
    }
    }
    Last edited by papped; 03-09-09 at 01:06 PM.
    03-09-09 12:50 PM
    Hmm, need to implement an iq check:

if (c == myDelCommand) {
    if (iq < 90) {
    delFile();
    } else {
    <insert fancy alert about how not enough iq to perform action here>
    }
    }
    good one but shouldn't it be
    if (iq >90) {
    delFile();
    03-09-09 12:59 PM
    err actually i meant to swap the <alert> and delFile();, lol.

Typing without reading ftw
    03-09-09 01:05 PM
    This still remains - I "though" that I would not be required that I keep constantly repeating myself - I am very sorry, that this inconsistent behaviour caused confusion on your side. It's still the case, that I do not take any responsibility if you are deleting files that may break the BB OS itself... Actually I just can assume/hope that the BB-Filesystem API does not allow self destroying actions... but on a windows PC you are still able to type "format C: /u" and destroy with that your Installation (assuming your OS is installed on drive C)... So what I want to say basically is, that you are responsible yourself... For sure I can say, that BBFileScout only delete files you have requested to delete - but I am not able to decide, if this was a wise (or a stupid) decision from the user.

Matthias
    I just wanted to make sure that the latest build didn't change that.

If I understand what you are saying...... I will have no problem editing, deleting or changing the file names of docs. The warning kind of made me think that deleting or renaming anything at all would put my BB at risk. Basically you are warning us not to be idiots and delete or rename something important, correct?
    03-09-09 01:41 PM
    Works great on my wife's Curve. Does *mostly* pretty well on my Bold, but can't launch files with it. File types that are already known give the error: 'No ContentHandlers with matching siffix'

When I add an association, the error message goes away, but it doesn't open the program I associated with the extension. It just sits there. Clicking the menu button and choosing to open the file doesn't work either. I've checked the programs permissions and tried a clean install.

I'm going to contact the dev tonight. If there's a workaround, I will be kicking some loot his way. I like this program a ton more than Aerize's $10 Explorer, and while I don't have too many issues with File Manager Pro, $12 is a bit steep for yet another program that lacks launching options. BBFileScout will probably see a $5 donation for every phone I put it on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 02:46 PM
    And having just gone back and read the thread: HAHAHAHAHA!

Perhaps a message like "The files you are about to delete will be removed permanently... The developer is not responsible for damage caused by deleting important system files. Are you sure you want to permanently delete the selected files?" would lead to less confusion, but I still find it humorous. But then I do IT tech-support for a living. It's absolutely impossible to *****-proof a system, therefor, the scarier the message the better!

03-09-09 02:53 PM
    nice app very useful to delete all those wack ringtones the phone came with
    03-09-09 03:26 PM
    anyone tried this on a Verizon 9530 yet?
    03-09-09 03:42 PM
    If I understand what you are saying...... I will have no problem editing, deleting or changing the file names of docs.
    Yes - 100% correct there should be no problem, when you are modify 'your files'...

Basically you are warning us not to be idiots and delete or rename something important, correct?
    I would not say that this drastically - but in general you are correct...

have in mind, that the English language is not my mother tongue - and in school I was very bad - "Hello Mr. Klug - do you read?" - so if a native speaker would/could help me with a polite & correct phrase, then I would be happy to intregrate it into BBFileScout - since for sure I know (most of the time) how to code - but writing correct documentation is not one of my best skills...

Works great on my wife's Curve. Does *mostly* pretty well on my Bold, but can't launch files with it. File types that are already known give the error: 'No ContentHandlers with matching siffix'
    that's Interesting & strange - can you let me know, what types of files you are talking about? [I mean which extensions does these files have].

Normally this message appears, when a "predefined" doctype (e.g. png, mp3, etc.) will be tried to open with the build in media file handler - but the BB handler itself refuse to fire up the app...

Just as example on my Phone simulators I am using, there is no Doc2Go installed - and when I click on a ANYNAMEHERE.doc file, then exactly this message (No ContentHandlers with matching suffix) pops up... So it really would help me a lot, if you could tell me: 1) which file types cause this message on your device and 2) what apps are (pre)installed.

I hope this is not asking for too much...

When I add an association, the error message goes away, but it doesn't open the program I associated with the extension. It just sits there. Clicking the menu button and choosing to open the file doesn't work either. I've checked the programs permissions and tried a clean install.
    I hope when I know the extensions you are trying to fire up, I can tell you more - also it might can give me an idea, when you let me know which Icon Image will be displayed for this files (when they are too small in your list, press the 'I' button to get the FileInfo popup)[/QUOTE]

Matthias
    03-09-09 05:36 PM
    I am still facing to 2 problems:

1) Can not open any file except for .doc and .txt. "No content handlers with matching suffix" popup.

2) Can not see any files in system folders, e.g the grey folders like appdata,applications, dev, system, etc...

I am using latest version 4.12 on my 8700g.
    Last edited by dongxanh; 03-09-09 at 07:32 PM.
    03-09-09 07:29 PM
    that's Interesting & strange - can you let me know, what types of files you are talking about? [I mean which extensions does these files have].
    The ones I noticed immefiately that I couldn't launch were mp3, mp4 and 3gp... I will test other file types tonight if there are others you are curious about, but the biggest draw of your program is that it is a MUCH better browser for a media card than the crappy navigation of the media player, so the most important extensions to me are all media related.

Thanks for the response, and thanks for the great software. If we can get it working with my media files I'll definitely be donating. I'm happy to try whatever you suggest. Thanks!
    03-09-09 09:57 PM
    i am unable to delete the files that came on the os, such as wallpapers and ringtones. i keep getting the error saying

"NO WRITE-access to file"

is there a setting somewhere im missing?
    03-09-09 10:58 PM
    Works GREAT for the storm so far. Deleted my sample pics and browsed through some other files as well. Will mess with it more later, gotta get packing!
    03-10-09 12:36 AM
    The ones I noticed immefiately that I couldn't launch were mp3, mp4 and 3gp... I will test other file types tonight if there are others you are curious about, but the biggest draw of your program is that it is a MUCH better browser for a media card than the crappy navigation of the media player, so the most important extensions to me are all media related.
    I hope you believe me, when I am saying, that playing the mentioned Media files is normally not an issue at all with bbfilescout - so the trouble you are having is quite a mystery for me right now.

can you tell me, if beside the file type icon you see an additional yellow lock (small thing) - or better when you press (I) what does it say at the bottom? there should be three true/false statements - might be that's the difference... I am sorry for asking so may questions - but I would like to solve this issue...

i am unable to delete the files that came on the os, such as wallpapers and ringtones. i keep getting the error saying
    "NO WRITE-access to file" is there a setting somewhere im missing?
    No you don't miss something - but the application is not able to gain write access to these files - without write access there is no way to delete these files... there are so many different BB OS out there, that's very had to tell, on which preinstalled content could be deleted and on which it is impossible to get write access - I am sorry but it looks like, that your OS does not allow any application to modify/delete this files.

Matthias
    03-10-09 02:08 AM
    ack, more updates... the program just keeps getting better. I swear RIM needs to hire you, emac... they could learn a thing or two about file system layouts
    03-10-09 03:53 AM
    hi .
    i can't delete the sample video in my curve 8900
    it says the file "xxxx" is built in your blackberry and might not be deleteble

i tought you could delete it with bb file scout

BTW its a really neat and nice program thx
    03-10-09 10:04 AM
    Very nice app. Works great on my Storm. Thanks.

03-10-09 10:18 AM
    hi .

please be so kind and at least spend the time to read the provided information at the bbfilescout homepage - there you will find also the answer to your question...

TIA
    03-10-09 12:28 PM
    hi .

BTW its a really neat and nice program thx
    In the future, use CrackMem before you install a new OS. Then you can remove the sample videos/pics/whatever.
    03-10-09 12:30 PM
    Great app! Very useful. Thanks for developing it!

03-10-09 01:52 PM
    I am still facing to 2 problems:

1) Can not open any file except for .doc and .txt. "No content handlers with matching suffix" popup.

2) Can not see any files in system folders, e.g the grey folders like appdata,applications, dev, system, etc...

I am using latest version 4.12 on my 8700g.
    I can open jpg and txt easily, but had no luck with .mp4 vids or mp3 music. same "no content handlers" error.

UPDATE: After upgrading OS to .247, i can now click on a music file and it plays through the media player without having to add a file association.
    Last edited by buster3535; 03-13-09 at 04:17 PM. Reason: update
    03-10-09 03:18 PM
    I hope you believe me, when I am saying, that playing the mentioned Media files is normally not an issue at all with bbfilescout - so the trouble you are having is quite a mystery for me right now.
    I absolutely believe you. Working just fine on my wife's Curve.

can you tell me, if beside the file type icon you see an additional yellow lock (small thing) - or better when you press (I) what does it say at the bottom? there should be three true/false statements - might be that's the difference...
    No lock icon, file doesn't behave as though it's locked in Windows explorer eitherm. All three statements are False when I press I.

I am sorry for asking so may questions - but I would like to solve this issue...
    Please don't appologize. I appreciate your fast responses and you willingness to help. I'm impressed with the level of service you are able to provide for a free app. Thanks!

03-10-09 11:58 PM
    Great app!!! Thanks!!! I don't need to move files too often, but this does come in handy!! Took me a little while to figure out how to move a selection of files into a different directory, but otherwise, AWESOME!!!

One question though, I noticed when I moved some music into a different folder in the Music folder on my SD card that duplicates showed up in media until I did a device restart. Is this normal? It didn't happen with pictures, just music. I double checked the files too after I moved them and saw the duplicate listings, prior to the restart, and there wasn't any actual duplicates and the files were in the correct directory. What gives? Is this just a little hiccup that you need to restart the device when you move music around?

03-11-09 01:31 AM
    One question though, I noticed when I moved some music into a different folder in the Music folder on my SD card that duplicates showed up in media until I did a device restart. Is this normal? It didn't happen with pictures, just music. I double checked the files too after I moved them and saw the duplicate listings, prior to the restart, and there wasn't any actual duplicates and the files were in the correct directory. What gives? Is this just a little hiccup that you need to restart the device when you move music around?
    I am not sure, if I have understood you correctly... after moving some audio files:

are they present at the source and the destination directory Or only at the destination (I am talking about what BBFileScout is displaying to you)...

If this is the case, (files only present at the destination), then the MediaPlayer seams not to "know" that the files have been moved - I just can assume that the developers never thought that there would be a use case like that in a BB scenario :-) But of course that's just wild guessing...
    03-11-09 12:37 PM
    Maybe it is just on the curve but it will not allow me to delete the sample pictures or anything else for that matter than came on the device. It says that the file is undeleteable.
    03-11-09 12:52 PM
521 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD