FileScout
    Browsing the file system of your BB - copy, move, rename, (un)zip or delete files & directories and much more!

I would like to use the opportunity to present an application that I have written for the all BB with OS 4.3 or higher (sorry no support for 4.2.1 devices) [successfully tested (by other users and myself) with 8110, 8310, 8330, 8700, 8800, 8820, 8830, 9000, 9500, 9530 & 9630] (probably more - check 100% free|pay-what-you-want Software for BlackBerry� Devices with OS 4.2.1 or higher for an up2date list of supported devices).

Core Features
    • FileScout allows you to browse the file system of your BB (including hidden files)
    • Create directories, copy, move, rename or delete files
    • Zipping files or complete directory structures
    • Extracting Zip archives (incl. structures)
    • Furthermore FileScout supports copying and deleting of complete directory structures
    • You can open all (by your Blackberry supported) media files
    • Register additional file types with other (3'rd party) applications (like pdf's)
    • FileScout allows you to open files (like ini, xml, etc.) as plain text, so you are able to edit, mark, copy & paste text fragments of these files that normally can't be opened with your Blackberry. This can become very valuable when you receive eMail attachments that are not native supported by your Blackberry
    • With FileScout you can delete pre installed wallpapers, videos and ringtones in order to free memory on your device***, **** - but please note, that once they are deleted the only way to get them back is to hard reset your device! [not supported with OS5.x]
    • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts
    • Create easy playlists across multiple folders
    • Define a favorite directory list (as shortcuts)
    • More to come...

Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. FileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - FileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.

FileScout is pay-what-you-want: if you find the application useful day by day and you want that I am able to invest more of my time into the development of this application, then please be so kind and send me a little donation - details at the FileScout Homepage - TIA.

Features
    What you can do with FileScout
    • Browse over the file system of your Blackberry® device
    • Show hidden files and directories (indicated by grey name)
    • Show 'encrypted content' (indicated by a lock icon)
    • Creating new directories
    • Copy a single file (or a group of files) from one folder to another - to do so:
      1. select a single file (or mark multiple files by pressing the SPACE-key) in any directory
      2. choose Store '[SourceFile]' on Stack from the menu
      3. browse to the target folder
      4. select Copy '[SourceFile]' to '[CurrentDir]' from the menu.
    • Move files (incl. multi select)* (in the same way as copy a file)
    • Auto rename/overwrite if a file already exist at the destination [of copy & move], this behavior is configurable via options
    • Renaming existing files*
    • Delete existing files [even ones that are preinstalled (like wallpapers or ringtones)]*, ***, ****
    • Copy complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be copied
    • Move complete directory structures (including all it's content) in the same way as single files can be moved
    • Delete directories with all its content (recursive)*
    • Unpack ZIP-Archives (including directory structures)
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a marked single file
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a group of files (mark multiple files by pressing the SPACE-key)
    • Create a ZIP-Archive from a selected directory (including all it's content/recursive)
    • Create Playlists across multiple folders [select in any folder your audio files (via Space-Key) and once you have marked all files select 'Create Playlist from <selection>' from the menu]
      (this menu item is only available, if you have specified a 'Playlist Directory' in the options)
    • FileScout register itself as default content handler for '.INI', '.LOG' and '.XML' files [This allows you to open this files e.g. from eMail attachments directly in the FileScout SimpleTextViewer/Editor] (experimental)
    • Opening Media-Files**:
      • Audio: W4A|AAC|MP3|WAV|AU3|MID|WMA
      • Video: MPEG|AVI|MP4|3GP
      • Image: JPG|PNG|GIF|TIFF|SVG|BMP
      • Office (requires installed "Office to go"): DOC|XLS|PPT
      • PDF (requires installed "PDF to go" or 'Repligo Reader')
      • Other: TXT|HTML
      • Playlists: M3U
    • Opening custom registered files:
      • FileScout allows you to associate own file extensions with custom applications (like you might know it from other OS)
      • Simply enter the extension [without '.' (dot)] in the FileScout-Options
      • Once such an associations is configured (via FileScout options) you could open any file type with any application that you have registered****
    • Opening Files in a SimpleTextViewer:
      • You can open small files (smaller then 250KiB) in plain text mode - This enables you to open XML's, INI's or any kind of script files (or any other files) in your Blackberry&reg;
      • Once the file is opened, you can mark/select text and copy it into the clipboard (to use it where ever you like or need it)
    • Opening Files in a SimpleTextEditor:
      • Once it's enabled in the options you can edit the text files that you have opened in the SimpleTextEditor. But FileScout is still far away from becoming a fully functional text editor (that might change in further releases).
      • by default all files will be open with UTF-8 character encoding
      • Re-read file with different encodings:
        • Re-read file with 'UTF-8' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'ISO-8859-1' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'UTF-16BE' encoding
        • Re-read file with 'US-ASCII' encoding

• Save File
      • Save File as...
      • both 'save' functions will use UTF-8 encoding
    • Creating new text files (if edit-mode is configured in options)
    • File details:
      • Filename (complete)
      • File size
      • MIME type
      • Last modification date
      • Is BuildIn [YES|NO]
      • Is DRMLocked [YES|NO] (if accessible)
      • Is Encrypted [YES|NO]
    • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts (experimental)
    • Options:
      • General Settings
        • Startup Directory (default EMPTY)
        • Confirm Exit of FileScout (default OFF)
        • Confirm Delete of files & directories (default ON)
        • Show hidden files & directories (default ON)
        • Sort directory content [will separate directories and files from each other and sort them by name (case insensitive)] (default OFF)
        • Use BB build in eMail composer (default ON)
        • Default action when destination exist ['do nothing'|'rename file'|'overwrite destination'|'ask each time'] (default 'do nothing')

• Media-Player Options
        • Playlist Directory (default EMPTY)
        • Clear selection after Playlist creation (default ON)

• Simple TextViewer/Editor
        • Allow editing in SimpleTextViewer (default OFF)

• File associations
        • Use the FileScout build-in text viewer/editor (default ON)
        • Use the FileScout build-in ZIP handler (default ON)
        • Force BB media content handler for images, audio &amp; video files (default OFF)
        • Custom file associations

• Key short cuts:
      • [C|V]: (C)opy to Clipboard [store the actual selected file/dir on the Stack]
      • [O|P]: (P)aste from Clipboard [copy the current file on the stack to the current directory]
      • [M]: (M)ove from Clipboard [move the current file on the stack to the current directory]
      • [U|I]: (I)nformation about selected file [file details]
      • [DEL|Backspace]: (Del)ete file/directory
      • [A|S]: (A)rchive file/directory
      • [E|R]: (R)rename file/directory
      • [D|F]: Create NEW (d)irectory
      • [L]: Create play(l)ist from selection
      • [T|Z] [T|Y]: (T)ext mode Edit [open the current file in the simple text viewer/editor]
      • [SPACE]: Select/Deselect the current highlighted file
      • [SHIFT]+NAV UP|DOWN: Select/Deselect multiple files
      • [G|H]: (G)oto favorites [open favorites Dialog (if defined)]
      • [SHIFT]+[G|H]: (G)oto any Directory [will open a tree structure of your BB filesystem]
    • More to come...

* Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk!

** Not all media types might be supported by your device

*** Some files on a Blackberry device are marked as "BuildIn" - unfortunately most of the time it's not possible for FileScout to delete this type of files.

**** The 3'rd party application itself have to support to be started with an file as additional command line parameter (this is quite usual in other OS's but I do not know much about 3'rd party Blackberry applications right now)

***** Deletion of preinstalled content is not possible with OS5.x (cause the corresponding folder have been made read-only by RIM)

License/Price
    Details at the CrackBerry Shop FileScout - the complete file, text, zip, and image manager - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Installation
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the FileScout Homepage

Additional Notes
    • Please Note: Some files on a BB devices have some sort of DRM (DigitalRightsManagement). Cause of this it could be, that the files can not be copied, moved. FileScout will give you a warning information once you try to copy a file that have 'encrypted content' - FileScout will mark these files with a "lock" symbol. Additionally it could be the case, that even deleting of this content is not possible.
    • Even if I own a Storm myself there is no extra TouchScreen support (yet) - this means it will work on a Strom like on any other BB-Device.
    • Some parts/files in the '/system' and '/store' folders might reappear after a battery pull - The device seams to auto restore some of the files.

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
    Matthias
    Last edited by emacf1; 04-15-10 at 05:29 AM. Reason: renamed APP
    03-05-09 12:26 PM
    Great app! Thank you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 12:53 PM
    Nice app, I like it.

One thing for me is that the "Del" key isn't deleting files.
    03-05-09 01:04 PM
    Great app! Thank you.
    +1

Nice app, I like it.

One thing for me is that the "Del" key isn't deleting files.
    "Del" Key prompted me if I wanted to delete the selected file or not (as per Options). Upon confirming it certainly deletes the file.
    03-05-09 05:32 PM
    On the Bold I don't even get the prompt.
    03-05-09 06:45 PM
    Awsome program thanks man! Will evaluate.

03-05-09 07:59 PM
    Either installing OTA or by BDM, it did not work on my 8700g,OS 4.5. Error code 907: invalid .cod.

It would be nice if you can fix this for 8700 users. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dongxanh; 03-06-09 at 03:27 AM.
    03-06-09 03:05 AM
    not seeing any system files with locks on them... but this app is neat otherwise.
    03-06-09 07:24 AM
    Either installing OTA or by BDM, it did not work on my 8700g,OS 4.5. Error code 907: invalid .cod.

It would be nice if you can fix this for 8700 users. Thanks in advance.

I'm getting the same error on my 8900.
    03-06-09 07:27 AM
    I am not sure what's going wrong on your 8700'er devices - I just DL the simulator and fired up the current build... and it's working as it should... mhhh - I might have an idea - let's see what is happening on your 8700'er with the next official release (I guess that will come this evening)...
    03-06-09 07:51 AM
    to the people with errors... have you tried installing via DM?
    03-06-09 07:57 AM
    I haven't yet, since I have no USB cable here (at work). Will try this when I'm at home.
    03-06-09 08:14 AM
    to the people with errors... have you tried installing via DM?
    Yes, I have. There was also an error, I did not remember exactly the error code (Install Failed or something etc...). When I went to Option - Advanced - Applications on my phone, FileScout was there on the app list, but I could not find its module, and there was no icon on the home screen either.

Hope it could work on the next version.

Last edited by dongxanh; 03-06-09 at 06:10 PM.
    03-06-09 06:03 PM
    I'm getting a download error, "907 invalid cod file, unable to import ZIP file" while downloading OTA. I'll try the desktop install, maybe that will work.
    Last edited by ninja please; 03-06-09 at 09:08 PM.
    03-06-09 07:55 PM
    I'm getting a download error, "907 invalid cod file, unable to import ZIP file" while downloading OTA. I'll try the desktop install, maybe that will work.

I have a 8310.
    I had the same error when trying to download it OTA. The desktop install worked fine.
    03-06-09 09:09 PM
    I was able to download it without a problem.
    03-06-09 09:28 PM
    I finally got it working when I installed it with DM... seems pretty nice.
    03-07-09 03:08 AM
    Works great! Thanks

03-07-09 03:16 AM
    BBFileScout update to 0.4.8

What's new?
    • File details dialogue:
      • Filename (complete)
      • File size
      • Last modification date
      • Is BuildIn [YES|NO]
      • Is DRMLocked [YES|NO]
      • Is Encrypted [YES|NO]
    • Send any file as eMail attachment to your BB contacts (experimental)
    • Key short cuts:
      • [U|I]: (I)nformation about selected file [file details]

What's fixed?
    • '... to GO' applications will now come to front, when a DOC, Excel or PowerPoint document will be open (I hope that will work for you all)
    • Zipping a single File will show now a real progress bar
    • Tested with BB 8700 Simulator
    • Changed some menu item names (from 'open' to 'edit'/'view')
    • Probably more what I can't remember right now ;-)

Installation & Update
    You will find the download link (incl. OTA) at the BBFileScout Homepage

Once again: Deleting or renaming files from your Blackberry can harm the core functionality of the device - use this function at your own risk! - Don't blame me, if you have bricked your BB.

Looking forward for your comments
    Matthias
    03-07-09 04:50 AM
    Still doesn't work OTA. This time it leads me to the downloading page, but fails to begin the download. Error message "Download fehlgeschlagen, 907 Invalid COD, Seitenabruf war nicht erfolgreich (CacheResult leer)," i.e. "download not successful, 907 invalid COD, page view not successful (CacheResult empty)" or so.

Still haven't tried it via DM, but that's currently not possible.

Cheers and regards!
    03-07-09 05:31 AM
    I'll try it sounds good.

03-07-09 06:03 AM
    Now I tried it and it's working fine via DM!
    03-07-09 08:10 AM
    Installation OTA failed. Has any 8700 user installed it successfully via BDM?
    I really like this app, unfortunate me!

03-07-09 08:50 AM
    Installation OTA failed. Has any 8700 user installed it successfully via BDM?
    all I can say is, that I have tested the '8700 Simulator' with the installation via RIM's DesktopManager and a USB connection... that worked with 0.4.7 (and with previous released of BBFileScout that step failed - so I hoped it will also work with a real device)...

I am very sorry for this problem - I think I will provide an alternative JAD file additional with the next (0.4.8) release
    03-07-09 10:06 AM
    My 8830 was able to download it but the link I used led me to your entire website page and I had to page-down lots of times to find a link which led to another link!!!!

I see you did not implement a "LETTER" search where you press, for example, "P" and it jumps to a file/folder that starts with the letter P.
    03-07-09 10:28 AM
521 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD