I have noticed that maximum speed that is calculated / displayed by BB Traffic is not accurate at speeds over 100+ mph. The maximum speed displayed is less than the actual velocity of the vehicle speed and is significant by 10 mph or more. Actually, it appears to begin at 90 - 95 mph and degrades as velocity increases. Has anyone else noticed this? I have a feeling that this is attributed to GPS sampling rate somehow. Does anyone know if the sampling rate of the GPS can somehow be adjusted / modified for shorter intervals? Currently I am using a 9850 Torch with 7.1.0.163 on Verizon.
    05-19-12 10:14 AM
    Just out of complete curiosity why would you be using turn by turn nav at 100+ mph
    and where in the states are you guys allowed to drive that fast. not that it couldnt be done.

aside from instruments like the vbox im not sure mobile devices are able to track at that rate of speed.
    05-19-12 10:50 AM
    Hats off to the OP, for driving 100+ mph while looking at a phone app, and living to tell about it!

BB_Bmore and jabbs1 like this.
    05-19-12 10:57 AM
    Are you sure the speedometer that is telling you you are at 100 MPH is accurate? As an example most Japanese made sportbikes typically have speedo that is 10% off on the fast side, so when it says 100 you are really going 90. My BMW is off some on the fast side too.
    05-19-12 11:03 AM
    Lmao, before I passed judgment, the first thing I looked at was where the OP's location was. I was expecting Germany and the autobahn. I just hope for your sake, you had a navigator to advise you of this, on a track... and if you were on a public roadway, for everyone else's sake. Not trying to bash the OP, just saying, I hope you took safety precautions when you decided to test this theory.
    05-19-12 11:05 AM
    Just out of complete curiosity why would you be using turn by turn nav at 100+ mph
    and where in the states are you guys allowed to drive that fast. not that it couldnt be done.

aside from instruments like the vbox im not sure mobile devices are able to track at that rate of speed.
    The OP was on a race track looking for the pit lane entrance on the bb sat nav eh OP

05-19-12 11:09 AM
    At least he wasn't texting while driving because that would be dangerous.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 11:13 AM

LMAO! This is true.
    05-19-12 11:19 AM
    Texting while walking is also dangerous if you live in New Jersey..it is now againts the law to do so there
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-19-12 12:42 PM
    Texting while walking is also dangerous if you live in New Jersey..it is now againts the law to do so there
    They are trying to make that illegal here too atm.

We should send em the details of that app that shows on the screen where you are walking via the bb's camera whilst the you can see what you're typing on top of the pic. Hehe.
    05-19-12 12:45 PM
    Back on topic...I am pretty sure its ajust a GPS refresh rate thing. I have noticed similar things using different GPS options in the past. I doubt you will be able to change this setting withing the traffic app
    05-19-12 02:56 PM
    A few weeks ago I opened two different GPS-using apps on a Shanghai bullet train from my Torch - and they indicated 186mph. That is very close to the published speed for that rail line (300 km/h). I thought that one of them was Balckberry traffic - but cannot remember for sure.
    05-19-12 03:37 PM
    A few weeks ago I opened two different GPS-using apps on a Shanghai bullet train from my Torch - and they indicated 186mph. That is very close to the published speed for that rail line (300 km/h). I thought that one of them was Balckberry traffic - but cannot remember for sure.
    186 mph is 300 kph lol
    05-19-12 03:39 PM

To answer your question, even though BB Traffic is now a turn by turn navigation app, it still gives you the statistics of your trip.

Even with sustained speeds of like 110 or 120 mph, it shows something like 102 or 105 mph. I was thinking that it may be the speedo on the car, but I really dont think it is. I think it has something to do with the refresh rate on the GPS. I guess one way to prove of disprove it would be to sustain those speeds for a longer time frame and see what happens to the max speed.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 06:01 PM

LOL....No I wasn't texting, however I was streaming BBM Music through my car stereo and I sure hate it when the turn by turn chick talks over my music. I suppose I should add Sammy Hagar "I Can't Drive 55". Ah the beauty of multitasking on a BlackBerry.
    05-19-12 06:56 PM
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-20-12 07:50 PM
    Can't remember the app I had, but it had a slow gps refresh rate, up to 10 seconds, with that if your just speeding up to 120 and then slowing down with out maintaining it, then yes, the gps may miss that you were going that fast. Even gmaps uses a 5 second gps rate. Try gps logger 2, its free and you can set the gps refresh rate as low as 1 second. And yes the car's speedo can just be off, there are very few cars in the US that have an accurate speedo, and they are cop cars.

Sent from 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-21-12 05:11 AM
    ... there are very few cars in the US that have an accurate speedo, and they are cop cars.

Sent from 9810 using Tapatalk
    So, are the cars we drive all deliberately set to be inaccurate, or are you saying they are not necessarily calibrated to a great degree of precision?
    05-21-12 06:30 AM
    There's a lot of variable that can have an impact on the difference between your true speed and what your speedometer says. Low air pressure in your tires, different tires from what the manufacturer put on your car, the condition of the road, the age of your car...
    05-21-12 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD