A friend just bought an iphone & i still want to be able to IM with her. Any (free) recommendations? I have only used the BB IM app.

thanks in advance!!
    12-30-09 03:21 PM
    AIM (america online messenger
    Y! ( Yahoo messenger
    google talk (google's
    Windows Live
    ICQ ( dunno - never used it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 03:28 PM
    Icq means I seek you. I used it a long time ago.

12-30-09 03:34 PM
    Thank you!

Will the AIMs show up in my messages like the BBs do, or do i have to sign into AIM repeatedly to send or receive them? (Sorry, i'm fairly new to BB & IMing myself!)
    12-30-09 03:35 PM
    Thank you!

Will the AIMs show up in my messages like the BBs do, or do i have to sign into AIM repeatedly to send or receive them? (Sorry, i'm fairly new to BB & IMing myself!)
    Once you sign in it will keep you signed in untill you pull the battery, turn off the phone, sign out. Other than that you'll be good to go. and it will work just like the BBM service... when you get a new one the alert will go off, when you send it to them it'll only take a few seconds for them to get it.

12-30-09 03:51 PM
    Perfect- that's the info i was looking for!!

Thanks again!
    12-30-09 04:00 PM
    Another thing you might want to check out is BeeJive IM. Why I am mentioning this as apposed to the applications above is due to battery usage.

BeejiveIM will allow you to connect to all of the above and more as well as more than one account at a time in case you have more than one MSN IM account.

Why I mentioned battery usage is for this reason. When I ran the native MSN client it stayed connected to MSN. And I could see my battery draining significantly.

However with BeeJiveIM (from what I understand) will actually disconnect from the BeeJive server and yet leave you connected. Then when somebody msg's you it will send you an email to your bb device which Beejive will process and reconnect to the server so you can continue the convo. All of this is invisible to the user however while it is in idle mode it uses very little battery.

I recently bought it for 15$ in a sale and am pretty happy with it.

Another option is an app called WhatsApp. It is like a BBM application for iPhones. However they are coming out with a BB version. I guess I was able to grab a beta of the BB version earlier and they pulled it so I am still lucky.

But on the iphone it has push notifications and is pretty slick. I use this to talk to my iphone buddies in other country's.

I can't wait for the official BB version to be released.
    12-31-09 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD