In case you didnt already know, BB GPS Golf is great! If you are a golfer and always wanted to get yourself a GPS range finder such as Sky Caddie, but didn't want to pay so darn much, this is a perfect solution.

Using the Storms GPS (which you have to be sure is enabled, and your location in on) the program will give you VERY accurate yardage as long as you have mapped your course correctly.

There are already a bunch of course on the BB GPS websites database, but if your course isn't on there, it only takes 10-15 minutes to accurately map it yourself in Google Maps. It will then store the data on the database for you to use, and for others.

Being a free app, this is great. Even though you may have to map the course yourself, it is well worth it. I have compared it to a few different GPS range finders and it is just as accurate.
    04-06-09 02:16 AM
    I was so happy to find this for free. I have already created two of my favorite courses and downloaded a third. But I have to wait until the weekend to use.

Question - what is the battery drain like? Also, how is the refresh rate and auto switch pre hole?
    04-06-09 01:09 PM
    +1 to this being an awesome app. I am amazed every time I use it that it is free! :-)
    I love the fact that it includes an option to go to Google Maps - if you turn the satellite view on and zoom in you get a great arial shot of the hole you are on, with your current location as a blue dot (which will move with you, of course) and the center of the green marked with a red balloon marker thingy.

Battery drain is considerable since you are actively constantly using GPS. That is not the program's fault - it is the fact that we are using the Storm as a GPS caddie! I use the google maps function quite frequently on a new course, so I leave that running in the background as well which I am sure doesn't help things. Over 2-2.5 hours for 9 holes I would estimate I use up about 1/3 of the battery charge. I walk the course, so I tend to look at it and fiddle with it frequently as I am walking to my ball, etc.

I have been using the score tracking, so I disabled the auto-advance because when I input the score it goes to the next hole anyway. I may consider trying the auto-advance and not using the score tracker on my next round - there is a small occassional bug that will cause an uncaught exception and force the program to shut down when using the score tracking.. The creator mentioned it may be an issue with the data transmission at that particular instant, so I don't know if this will go away in future releases.

Not sure what you are asking about the refresh rate - you can change it if you like, but at the default of 1 sec you are not waiting long at all for the distances to stabilize once you get to your ball, if that is what you are asking. (Although I am walking so it is keeping up with me as I appraoch better than if I were to zip up to the ball in a cart). Regardless, it is no worse than SkyCaddie, etc - those can take a few seconds as well...

I had used GolfTraxx before discovering BB GPS Golf and BB GPS Golf is MUCH better, IMHO.
    04-06-09 01:53 PM
    That is exactly what I was talking about in terms of refresh. I have it set to 1 - but I was not sure if that was seconds or minutes. I imagine I could change that to a higher number to save on battery and still be acceptable (by the time I look at the ball and pull out the phone a few seconds have passed).

I have played around with it most of the day and I am pretty excited. I wish there was a way to load a snapshot of the google hole into cache on the SD card to pull up instead of pinging the net - but other than that - very utilitarian.
    04-06-09 01:58 PM
    Love this app as well. I have mapped 3 courses in my area and it has been dead on as compared with my buddys expensive GPS tracker thingy.
    04-06-09 02:08 PM
    ...I wish there was a way to load a snapshot of the google hole into cache on the SD card to pull up instead of pinging the net - but other than that - very utilitarian.
    Graet idea! You could do something similar either of two ways I think - one would be to take a screen shot of the google map on your computer for each hole as you are mapping the course. You could then create a folder on your SD card and save each pic there. The other way would be to do a screen capture while on the course for future reference the next time you play.
    I may have to try out the computer screen shot method ahead of time next time I play on a new course!
    04-06-09 02:11 PM
    In case you didnt already know, BB GPS Golf is great! If you are a golfer and always wanted to get yourself a GPS range finder such as Sky Caddie, but didn't want to pay so darn much, this is a perfect solution.

Using the Storms GPS (which you have to be sure is enabled, and your location in on) the program will give you VERY accurate yardage as long as you have mapped your course correctly.

There are already a bunch of course on the BB GPS websites database, but if your course isn't on there, it only takes 10-15 minutes to accurately map it yourself in Google Maps. It will then store the data on the database for you to use, and for others.

Being a free app, this is great. Even though you may have to map the course yourself, it is well worth it. I have compared it to a few different GPS range finders and it is just as accurate.
    Link? Or OTA?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 02:13 PM
    There was an OTA somewhere I believe....Ill look for it later if you havent already found it.

The refresh rate for me is great. I also have it set to "1" and it seems that it refreshes quite often. As far as battery drain, because it runs the GPS constantly updating your position, and the fact that you will have it on for a while, the battery does drain faster than with normal use, but again, its a day of golf! Who cares!

To save battery while using it for 18-holes though, make sure your backlight goes off fast and you arent constantly hitting the screen.
    04-06-09 02:40 PM
    Link? Or OTA?

I highly recommend visiting their websight:

BBGPSGolf - A Free Golf GPS application for the BlackBerry smartphone

You can find more info there, plus you can setup a profile with your clubs and distances which will then get downloaded into your program to give you club suggestions based on the distance to the green if you would like.
    The creator also has a forum setup for questions, suggestion, etc.
    You can also see which courses have already been mapped in your state on the websight. That is also where you map a course if you are going to play somewhere that has not been previously mapped.

However, FYI: OTA download:
    http://bbgpsgolf.com/app/1.0.15/BBGPSGolf.jad
    04-06-09 02:42 PM
    I haven't had a chance to play a round with it yet (damn snow), but it does look great. Going to their website and entering in a new course is easy. I really like the fact you can keep score, keep track of which clubs you used.

Now if the snow would melt I could actually use the program instead of just staring at the icon and wishing.
    04-06-09 03:17 PM
    I am currently 21397 yards from the fron tof the green on my home course . . . hehehe

Graet idea! You could do something similar either of two ways I think - one would be to take a screen shot of the google map on your computer for each hole as you are mapping the course. You could then create a folder on your SD card and save each pic there. The other way would be to do a screen capture while on the course for future reference the next time you play.
    I may have to try out the computer screen shot method ahead of time next time I play on a new course!

Exactly what I thought. The only enhancement that would make it easier is if you could name them as a standard name - and toggle from the ap between yard view and saved pictures. It might be cumbersome to have to browse to the folder each time on the tee then back to the application.
    04-06-09 03:49 PM
    When you go to the website and click download it lists 1.0.15 as the newest version but if you click "what's new" it looks like there is storm specific versions. Just wondering if 1.0.15 is compatible with the storm or whether you guys are using a storm specific one?
    04-06-09 04:49 PM
    I am currently running the 1.0.15 version, and it is Storm compatible. That is the latest version they have available.

The main interface seems to be made to be able to use on other BB's though, but because it is not a highly graphic interface it works perfectly on the storm.

Too bad for you folks that have to deal with seasons and all that. As long as its not raining here, you can golf year round!
    04-06-09 05:07 PM
    .15 is the newest and I have tried everything from .12 up and they all work wonderfully on the Storm. There are no Storm specific versions but there aren't any issues you'll run into by using your Storm.

I cannot stress enough how great the guy is who developed this program. Albert can attest to his willingness to involve the whole "community" in the development. It sounds corny but you really feel like you're part of something when you participate with bbgpsgolf.
    Last edited by brianr0131; 04-06-09 at 06:52 PM.
    04-06-09 06:45 PM
    Just downloaded the app, but can't figure out how to add a course that isn't on the list.

Do you do it on the website or do you have to do in on your phone? I created a username and such but I don't see anywhere to add a course

EDIT: Nevermind, I logged out and logged back in and everything works like it's supposed to. Weird though...
    Last edited by cartisdm; 04-06-09 at 08:06 PM.
    04-06-09 08:01 PM
    whew . . updated notes on all my courses for others to use. Up to 8 courses mapped in Houston!
    04-06-09 11:05 PM
    Ok, Lets compile all the golf apps for Blackberry we know of on a thread here, maybe Sticky it if we have enough. Add on to the list

1.) BBGPSgolf
    2.) Golftraxx
    3.) Greenfinder
    04-06-09 11:34 PM
    1.) BBGPSgolf
    2.) Golftraxx
    3.) Greenfinder
    4.) IntelliGolf
    04-06-09 11:38 PM
    This is a great program! I used greenfinder at first but then tried this and love it! It is just as accurate as my buddy's skycaddie.. AND... it's FREE!!!
    04-06-09 11:43 PM
    For those using the Application - update your courses with notes per hole, and place the city in the title . . . we have to help each other building the DB of courses. ALSO, go map a course or two this week while you sit around drinking a beer. I just did 5 while watching the game.
    04-06-09 11:50 PM
    So I haven't had a chance to really use the program much, but I've already mapped out a local course and saved it to the database.

I loaded that course on my Storm and the yardage seems to load up correctly. Now, is there a way to upload screenshots of the hole? Satellite view from google would be ok, but those are not generally very helpful unless you can really zoom in. It would be cool to load your own screenshots off the digital scorecard or something.

Can this or anything similar be done?

04-07-09 08:02 AM
    Great app but I keep getting an error code when searching for the course I created.
    04-07-09 09:55 AM
    So I haven't had a chance to really use the program much, but I've already mapped out a local course and saved it to the database.

I loaded that course on my Storm and the yardage seems to load up correctly. Now, is there a way to upload screenshots of the hole? Satellite view from google would be ok, but those are not generally very helpful unless you can really zoom in. It would be cool to load your own screenshots off the digital scorecard or something.

There's an option for view in google maps. You can also choose any hole waypoint (ex. front, middle, back, bunker etc) and then zoom in.
    04-07-09 10:02 AM
    Great app but I keep getting an error code when searching for the course I created.
    Not sure about this. The list is alphabetical, I don't "search" per se. Can you tell me the name of the course you mapped?
    04-07-09 10:03 AM

Not Yet. As someone stated you can toggle between Google Maps and BBGPS and you can see one GPS point on Google maps when you do it.

I made the suggestion on the forum over at bbgpsgolf with that SAME suggestion. I suggest you head over there and post support - If he thinks it will be helpful and people want it - may happen!
    04-07-09 10:47 AM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD