Why is it that bb can't keep up with the apps of apple and android?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 09:29 PM
    Yeah, I've been a BB Tour user for about a year now and don't even check the lame BB apps anymore. It's just not going to happen for BB in my opinion. I got tired of seeing the same apps month after month (ebay, facebook, twitter, bloomberg, pandora, call tracker, etc). I bet those are still in the featured section even today. About the only change has been to mix in equally lame, overpriced themes. One year ago, there was a lot of optimism about the coming apps - but that just fizzled out.

The best apps I found in 1 year time were on this board: (1) berrybuzz, (2) quicklaunch. The best theme was the freebee BBpro by Natemz. Kudos to those developers. But they are really extensions of the operating system making the system work better for shortcuts and notifications.

BB will remain an email, calendering, communication powerhouse - but I find myself ready to jump ship.
    07-07-10 10:45 PM
    I disagree. I've found some great apps on Blackberry App World and use them all the time. BerryWeather, Dragon for Email, LearnSpanish, MP3 Ringtone Creator, Poynt, Viigo to name a few. But yes, Apple & Android are the leaders in apps, if that's the main reason you buy a cell phone, you should make the leap. Apps are not the main reason I bought my BB.
    07-07-10 11:00 PM
    The language the apps are required to be built in and the development tools RIM provides are the two answers I have received. Too, there are millions of iPhones with the same screen size and all running very few variations of iOS; BB, on the other hand, has a slew of different screen resolutions on their devices, different hardware/specs, many varying builds of the BBOS. Developing on the BB, it seems, is simply more difficult and what can be done is limited...
    07-08-10 01:45 AM
    These threads always give me a real chuckle. What possible app could one wish to find that is not here? Are we talking real function or just fun stuff?

I stay with BB because all the functions necessary to my life are available. The 9000 is the best keyboard on the market today. All those fun touch screen devices are fine for people who wish to stream video or music and play games. But for me BB is, was, and always will be first of all a workhorse. Fun I can find without a phone.

For people with other desires or different needs there are many platforms and devices on the market. Catering to differences is what drives the development and sale of smartphones these days.
    07-08-10 06:53 AM
    These threads always give me a real chuckle. What possible app could one wish to find that is not here? Are we talking real function or just fun stuff?

I stay with BB because all the functions necessary to my life are available. The 9000 is the best keyboard on the market today. All those fun touch screen devices are fine for people who wish to stream video or music and play games. But for me BB is, was, and always will be first of all a workhorse. Fun I can find without a phone.

For people with other desires or different needs there are many platforms and devices on the market. Catering to differences is what drives the development and sale of smartphones these days.

I agree with Sedalia ... I need a functional work phone, not apps for Metal Dectectors, Amazon, and Craigslist. Besides I can watch a Video or listen to Music if time allows. That said, I do think the google phones are fun and have their place as well if you don't need a phone for Business
    07-08-10 07:57 AM
    I disagree. I've found some great apps on Blackberry App World and use them all the time. BerryWeather, Dragon for Email, LearnSpanish, MP3 Ringtone Creator, Poynt, Viigo to name a few. But yes, Apple & Android are the leaders in apps, if that's the main reason you buy a cell phone, you should make the leap. Apps are not the main reason I bought my BB.
    I definitely agree those are solid apps - and I have most of them. But, they are long in the tooth. Most have been around for the better part of a year - still rotating often in the "featured" section in BB App World. Take a look at the apps store here as well. The popular list hasn't changed in about a year. Both places remind me of a dentist office waiting room filled with 2009 magazines.

Regarding the "fun and games" comments. Yeah, that's part of it. But Android/iPhone also appears to constantly streaming out new business, education, photography, navigation, finance apps. Those apps that are already out there get refreshed and updated much more frequently. It appears that few companies want to actually develop for BB and that's definitely not good for innovation.

So, sure BB is a great workhorse - and if I get a new android/iphone I'll probably keep the BB just for business.

People may "get a kick" out of posts like this and say they didn't buy the BB for apps or think that apps are overrated. But for many, like me a year or so ago, there was a lot of hope that the new devices (Tour, Storm2, etc.) would kick-start the app store. It seems like a lot of the BB diehards are now simply being defensive and saying, "Yeah, we didn't want apps anyway. Go buy an iPhone."

-Ira
    07-08-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD