Ok so I'm looking for an app that basically takes away this extremely annoying and pointless feature with blackberry's. The only one I have been able to find is ForceRadioOn which isn't even compatible apparently with the 9700.

Does one exist?
    02-08-11 02:52 PM
    Try extended or extra batteries. Or charging more often. Routinely depleting your Blackberry's battery will ruin it faster than keeping it charged.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-11 04:43 PM
    Try extended or extra batteries. Or charging more often. Routinely depleting your Blackberry's battery will ruin it faster than keeping it charged.

Well yea I try to charge it when I can.....but **** happens lol and sometimes it just runs down all the way. Having the radio turn off has to be one of the most pointless things ever with blackberry....
    02-08-11 05:18 PM
    There is one, but it's not compatible with OS 5 and above. ForceRadioOn - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Checking for a Wireless Update is suppose to turn it back on, I think dialing 911 will too. I've never needed to try either since I got an extra battery though.

Also, it's not a pointless thing... Most phones will completely turn off when the battery gets that low. RIM added this feature so you can still access the phone when the battery is that low, like when you need a number or something else.

So be thankful, not mad...
    02-08-11 05:40 PM
    There is one, but it's not compatible with OS 5 and above. ForceRadioOn - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

Checking for a Wireless Update is suppose to turn it back on, I think dialing 911 will too. I've never needed to try either since I got an extra battery though.

Also, it's not a pointless thing... Most phones will completely turn off when the battery gets that low. RIM added this feature so you can still access the phone when the battery is that low, like when you need a number or something else.

Yea man, I should be thankful my network turns off when I have battery left lol.....They should at least give people an option to change this...
    02-08-11 05:51 PM
    I have always regarded the Radio Off at 15% battery level function as a piece of very intelligent design.

By turning the radio off at 15%, you virtually guarantee that there is battery left for animportant call should you need it.

The logic is clear.

- The battery runs down in a purse or pocket unnoticed.
    - At 15% the radio is switched off thus preserving the remaining battery.
    - If you need to make a call, you can. True you need ti rurn the radio on manually BUT there will almost certainly be enought battery remaining to at least make a quick call.

I cannot think of a better way to preserve service capability.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-11 06:02 PM
    Yeah, Chris, you're crazy. This feature isn't at all pointless, it might be misleading to someone who has the attention span of a gnat and can't figure out that maybe they should charge their phone a little more frequently, but it's a very convenient things as any other phone would simply shut off at the very same point in which your 9700 will shut down a single feature of it, allowing you to still access others in order to use your "smart phone" as it was intended... a PDA.
    02-08-11 10:11 PM
    Well yea I try to charge it when I can.....but **** happens lol and sometimes it just runs down all the way. Having the radio turn off has to be one of the most pointless things ever with blackberry....
    If this happens frequently enough that you are requesting an app, you would be better off purchasing an extended battery. Depleting the battery routinely means you will probably have the battery fail prematurely anyway.
    02-08-11 10:16 PM

I have always regarded the Radio Off at 15% battery level function as a piece of very intelligent design.

By turning the radio off at 15%, you virtually guarantee that there is battery left for animportant call should you need it.

The logic is clear.

- If you need to make a call, you can. True you need ti rurn the radio on manually BUT there will almost certainly be enought battery remaining to at least make a quick call.

+1

In addition to that, it protects your battery from being damaged. How? Lithium-Ion battery shouldn't be drained to 0%.
    02-08-11 10:37 PM
    Lol, damn you people love your batteries.
    02-09-11 12:12 AM
    If this happens frequently enough that you are requesting an app, you would be better off purchasing an extended battery. Depleting the battery routinely means you will probably have the battery fail prematurely anyway.
    Yea...I probably will get one in the future.
    02-09-11 12:19 AM
    +1

In addition to that, it protects your battery from being damaged. How? Lithium-Ion battery shouldn't be drained to 0%.
    Like I said....**** happens lol..
    02-09-11 12:21 AM
    02-09-11 12:35 AM
    Yea man, I should be thankful my network turns off when I have battery left lol.....They should at least give people an option to change this...
    Probably won't happen; unlike your laptop or netbook your BlackBerry is useless without a battery, that's its only power source. It's literally saying it's shutting off the radio because it can't power it anymore.

Interesting. I've never had a device turn off that early, hence my comment to the OP about draining his battery to almost or completely dead. My old 8130's radio shut off at 4%, and would die shortly after. My S2 used to shut off radio at 2% with previous OS versions, but somewhere along the line (.713 I think) it was changed to 3%. Should be noted that once radio is off only Bluetooth is functional and the device will not turn on by any means until the battery is back up to 10%.

Naturally. With no batteries these would just be paperweights.

02-09-11 12:43 AM
    I have a Toshiba laptop that is almost 6 years old and still has the original battery.
    02-09-11 12:46 AM
    O, I got my device to turn on with 1% left.....well according to the "status" in options xD
    02-09-11 12:53 AM
    I would just have an extra battery handy or keep a charger with you.

02-09-11 02:32 AM
    I would just have an extra battery handy or keep a charger with you.

Yea, since im at university and I always carry around my backpack with my laptop, I think im going to get another USB charger just to keep in my bag.
    02-09-11 10:23 AM
    Buy a 1700mAh battery. It doest need battery cover replacement. Galili 1700mAh battery for 9700. Search at eBay. For turning back radio when low batt. PowerBOSS app is working great, turn on radio with just 1 click.

02-17-11 08:43 PM

The logic is clear.

Does it always work that way? I remember my battery got very low and I had to make a call, and the phone would not make a call even when plugged in, until the stupid battery charged above whatever % it cut off at. I was thinking, what if there were a medical emergency?
    02-17-11 11:43 PM
    The new versions of OS6 don't turn it off till like 4%.
    02-18-11 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD