So I was thinking.
    The GPS on any device is known for being incredibly battery inefficient the device heats up and that's just no good.

I have an idea and it may not be for all but I guess it would actually aid in keeping batteries alive.

I assume that the current GPS Updates every 2 seconds. That is 30 pulls per minute and that's really pointless if we are moving down the highway at 60 miles per hour while our next turn is 120 miles away.

In this case, I think the Device should lower the pulls from 30 times a minute to somewhere like 5, allowing the device time to cool between GPS locks.
    In between those seconds, the Device could estimate the distance traveled with the speed to display the how far you are.

The result would be an ugly display but a MUCH better battery. Although with GPS apps like BBTraffic it wouldn't really matter.

Then, when you are on local it could resume pulling 30 updates per minute to make sure each turn is accurate.

I'm not sure how GPS apps work So this is just an idea for something. (BlackBerry Traffic)

Possible a Battery saving mode.
    04-04-12 02:16 PM
    just get a garmin
    04-04-12 04:02 PM
    Yeah but having to use 2 devices is always less efficient than Using 1.
    04-09-12 11:55 AM
    I dont understand this at all..

I use 9930 for nav frequently.. If you are using the 9930 for car navigation and it heats up, its because the screen is on, not because the GPS is on..the gps itself takes marginal current drain. try using voice directions and allowing the screen to go off.?
    04-13-12 07:25 AM
    I'm not sure that "any device" is inefficient while running GPS. I use it quite a lot with some of the golf GPS apps, some access and display google maps, and some are just a text based interface. I don't notice any real 'jump' in battery usage. If I start with a full charge, after 4-5 hours using the app and checking scores, messages, etc... I just try and remember to do a screen lock when I'm not checking the yardages- and I don't always remember to do that, either. There is no real difference in charge levels than a normal 5 hour period without using the app. The battery will still last it's usual 1-1/2 days or more if I really take care to not constantly pull it out to check FB every 10 minutes. On a Torch 9810 running 7.0.0.583

My guess is that people that complain about the GPS battery drain must have a LOT going on besides just having gps on- I have GPS on all the time, but not always tuned with an app other than the usual suspects like foursquare and FB, WHEN THOSE APPS ARE RUNNING. Sure, if you keep them in the background without fully exiting then maybe you'll pull more juice that you think you are.
    04-13-12 09:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD