Hi all,

I have used meterberry, and it's fantastic; with the Original RIM battery. I recently purchased a 3200mah extended battery, and both the Phone's battery meter and meterberry are running erratically, requiring a battery pull or a period of sleep(non-use standby) to show the correct battery level. i.e before battery pull i will be down to 50% and after battery pull or period of standby it will be back to 88%.

I've tried calibrating the battery meter by running it down 3 times to 0% and then fully charging it, but it does not seem to help. there appears to be nothing wrong with the battery, it does not run hot or cut off, and i get 13-14 hours of video straight off a single charge. what bothers me is that the last 1% will last me 6 hours or so. it appears that the meter is reflecting how the battery will react if i was using the standard 1550mah ms-1.

Is there a meter app that would be able to make it's own estimates, or better yet, allow me to calibrate it so it reflects my usage with the extended battery?

thanks so much in advance!

btw, i'm using a 9780 on os6(.448) but having tried .359 and .285, the battery behavior is still the same.
    02-24-11 02:41 AM
    you might have better luck and use less resources on the phone if you kindly requested a feature added to meterberry / bbmeter / etc to change the mah rating of the battery as opposed to it being based on off the shelf usage.
    02-24-11 05:50 AM
    you might have better luck and use less resources on the phone if you kindly requested a feature added to meterberry / bbmeter / etc to change the mah rating of the battery as opposed to it being based on off the shelf usage.
    Doing this sounds like a logical solution. Also, you could try uninstalling then reinstalling MeterBerry. Not sure if that would help, but it could.
    02-24-11 06:00 AM
    I use Meter Berry FTW

Contact the developer and await their input on this.
    02-24-11 07:00 AM
    Do you read before you post ML?
    At OP, what OS are you running? On early OS6 builds I had the same issue. It's a lot better now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 12:42 PM
    At OP, what OS are you running? On early OS6 builds I had the same issue. It's a lot better now.
    His profile says 8900, but he says he has a 9780 with 6.0.0.44, and that it was the same on 2 earlier builds as well.

New question for the OP: Have you contacted any of app developers yet and asked them if they were (a) aware, and (b) working on a fix?
    02-24-11 12:59 PM

I think he is only after post counts. Not figured out why that's so important to some here.

Posted from my CrackBerry
    Last edited by wellwater; 02-24-11 at 03:20 PM.
    02-24-11 03:17 PM
    Thanks to all who replied.

I'm running .448 on the 9780. earlier OS also pose the same issue.

His profile says 8900, but he says he has a 9780 with 6.0.0.44, and that it was the same on 2 earlier builds as well.

New question for the OP: Have you contacted any of app developers yet and asked them if they were (a) aware, and (b) working on a fix?
    Have not contacted any app developers yet. It doesnt seem like it's an issue with the app itself, more a problem with the phone's internal fuel gauge. it does not differentiate between the extended and original battery.

Doing this sounds like a logical solution. Also, you could try uninstalling then reinstalling MeterBerry. Not sure if that would help, but it could.
    tried the uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as wiping/reloading of OS. Have informed the battery producer of the issue, now all that's left is to wait and see if he can provide a fix for this issue, or switch me to the smaller capacity 2700 mah seidio battery. A pity because this battery was really long lasting.
    02-27-11 06:39 AM
    Have not contacted any app developers yet. It doesnt seem like it's an issue with the app itself, more a problem with the phone's internal fuel gauge. it does not differentiate between the extended and original battery.

Have informed the battery producer of the issue, now all that's left is to wait and see if he can provide a fix for this issue, or switch me to the smaller capacity 2700 mah seidio battery. A pity because this battery was really long lasting.
    I really think you should contact a few developers. Someone might be able to explain why it's happening, or maybe even come up with a workaround.

I have no idea on the respomsiveness of Giant Cashew, MB's dev. A couple other developers on here that have a deep understanding of battery issues and have apps with battery meters would be Shao128 and LSPhone.
    PM or email them and see what light they can shed on the subject.
    (Nothing to lose, right?)
    02-28-11 04:57 AM
    The OS reports two items an app can use for battery level: the voltage, and the % as determined by the OS. I don't know whether the type of batteries BB uses internally compute their own level and report it through a data line, as for example some laptop batteries seem to do. Since it's a different type of battery, if the OS is estimating % time left by the voltage, it's not surprising that it's gone haywire.

If you could obtain the correct %-versus-voltage curve from the manufacturer, or figure it out yourself, then it would be easy to write an alternative level meter just for that type of battery, such as a banner indicator. That app could also determine the voltage-to-% mapping itself if you charge the battery fully, and then the app does something that drains the battery while watching the voltage. I'd have it drain in surges, average the voltage during high-current drain with the voltage at low-drain, and create a smoothed curve.

Someone else will probably pick the idea up, it's easy, but I'm not publishing anything that intentionally drains a battery quickly. Some out-of-spec imitation battery might fail and then the user might blame the app.
    davtse likes this.
    03-09-11 06:41 PM
    Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

@elite1
    thanks for your suggestion, I actually tried contacting meterberry about this issue but had no reply.

@Lsphone
    That actually sounds exactly like what I need. A pity you won't publish the program. I've used your I-charge-cool app and really like it. Would you have an developer to reccommend who would be able to develop the app for a fee?

03-09-11 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD