Is there a difference between rebooting via the alt/shift/del shortcut as opposed to physically pulling the batt or using a 'batt pull app'? I figure why take the time to pull the batt or take up mem with an app when I can do it via the 3-key shortcut? Is there a difference between the three?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 09:28 AM
    I usually just do the 3-key shortcut but every once and a while for the heck of it I'll do a battery pull. I mean it only takes maybe 20 seconds longer then doing the 3-key shortcut.
    04-14-11 10:02 AM
    There is a difference. The 3 key shortcut is a soft reset, while pulling the battery is a hard reset. While the r key combo restarts the device, and usually remidies any issues / apps installing/uninstalling, sometimes a good ol battery pull is what the issue really needs...

I usually do the 3 key combo, as I have the AGF GRT case, and don't want to take it apart to get to the battery, but in some instances, it was nessicary...

04-14-11 11:52 AM
    I've tried the alt-shift-delete and it doesn't work. I get a 123 in the corner and that's it. Am I missing something.
    04-14-11 12:04 PM
    I've tried the alt-shift-delete and it doesn't work. I get a 123 in the corner and that's it. Am I missing something.
    Use the right shift button. Press and hold all three at the same time for 3-5 seconds

04-14-11 12:05 PM
    There is a difference. The 3 key shortcut is a soft reset, while pulling the battery is a hard reset. While the r key combo restarts the device, and usually remidies any issues / apps installing/uninstalling, sometimes a good ol battery pull is what the issue really needs...

I usually do the 3 key combo, as I have the AGF GRT case, and don't want to take it apart to get to the battery, but in some instances, it was nessicary...

Wrong. The alt+shift+del method is for a hard reset as well. It clears the device and reboots it hard. Holding your end key is a soft reset.

Just like posted though, it takes 20 seconds to take off the back at most and pop the battery out. If not the same time due to juggling the phone trying to hold all three keys down haha.

I like to take the battery out to let it cool if I've been using it heavily as well.

04-14-11 12:21 PM
    Wrong. The alt+shift+del method is for a hard reset as well. It clears the device and reboots it hard. Holding your end key is a soft reset.

Just like posted though, it takes 20 seconds to take off the back at most and pop the battery out. If not the same time due to juggling the phone trying to hold all three keys down haha.

I like to take the battery out to let it cool if I've been using it heavily as well.

Wrong! Tbrenn is correct...

Head over to the 101 and do some learning.

http://m.crackberry.com/blackberry-101-battery-pulls-when-why-and-how

04-14-11 01:03 PM

Alt-R Shift-Del is not a hard/cold boot, it's a soft/warm boot. Only a battery pull to remove power to the circuitry can be considered a cold boot.

Holding the end key is a stand-by mode. When you bring it out of stand-by your personalized screen setup will be the same as it was before you went into stand-by.
    If you perform a soft or hard reboot the system will reset your screen menu to one row of icons.

To the OP - you don't really need a BP App, it simulates the soft/warm boot (Alt R Shift Del). It is however, convenient if you want to set auto resets.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 04-14-11 at 02:10 PM.
    04-14-11 02:08 PM
    Battery pull is a HARD reboot
    Alt/sft/del is a SOFT reboot
    LoL

04-14-11 05:23 PM
    I always just do battery pulls if i need to.
    04-14-11 05:50 PM
    And for the 1000th time, all three reset the allocated flash memory, for which, all three do the same thing, except, for one, you take the battery out, the other you press three keys, and the other, you install an app to do it while at the same time wasting space.

Pick the one you most like, because they all do the same thing.
    04-14-11 09:33 PM
    in my case i always do the alt/sft/del key, because i cannot remove the battery its very hard
    04-14-11 09:35 PM
    Thanks for the tips and clearing that up. I did not know about the 3-key trick.
    04-14-11 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD