I just released the beta version of Barcode Assistant for BB6 devices. Details and screen shots are in the above link.

Barcode Assistant is an integrated QR code scanner and creator. It integrates into the Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks apps, as well as adds menu options in the native browser (create a barcode from the viewed web page).

I had gotten most of the OS5 code done before the BB6 SDK came out, but decided to shelve it until the BB6 version was complete. I'll be working on the OS5 version next.

If you're using a BlackBerry running BB6, PM me and I'll send you the link. It's been tested on a Torch and a Style. I'd be interested to see how it runs on the Bold BB6 leak.

The other thing I want to do is localization. My four years of French have long been forgotten, so I'm sure my attempts would send most French (and French Canadians) in laughing fits. I have the tables in English if anyone would be interested in helping with other languages.

There are some other neat features built in as well. PM me if your interested!
    11-02-10 09:31 PM
    PM sent

Cheers
    11-04-10 04:46 PM
    Replies sent to those who PM'd me. Thanks for testing!!

I actually have the 5.0 build almost ready to go as well (different scanning and creating routines). The big difference is that BB6 controls the scan, so it searches for the barcode and responds once it finds one. OS5 doesn't have that, so you have to press a button to take a photo of the barcode. The rest of the app works exactly the same. I'll have a beta version for OS5 out next week.
    11-04-10 10:41 PM
    Could I try it out?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 11:19 AM
    Does this work with standard barcodes? If not I will have to pass on testing as I
    hardly ever see QR codes.
    11-07-10 11:34 AM
    Does this work with standard barcodes? If not I will have to pass on testing as I
    hardly ever see QR codes.
    Ditto, if it works with regular ones I'm interested in testing
    11-07-10 12:15 PM
    The app is made for PIM data (calendar/appointments, contacts, tasks) as well as websites, geo locations, and such. It's not for UPC product codes codes (there seem to be plenty of apps out there that do that). I haven't seen PIM info shown in other barcode formats all that often, although I could add other formats in - I want to make sure it supports standard formats for sharing information.

The nice things about this app is adding menu options to apps. So, you can scan a website barcode from within the web browser (instead of opening up BBM, clicking on Invite Contact, then selecting Scan Barcode). You can also take the web page you are looking at and turn the URL into a barcode right from the browser menu.
    11-07-10 02:18 PM
    The Beta is now open! There are versions for both BB6 and 5.0.

I don't have the device detection script written yet, but you can choose your device from this link:

Apodidae - Barcode Assistant

I hope to have the detection script up in the next day or two.
    11-07-10 02:22 PM
    All seems good - I keep thinking the @ is for twitter, not email though.
    It'd be pretty easy to include twitter/facebook support - it's basically a web address, Page Not Found | Facebook) for Facebook and www.twitter.com/(username) for twitter.

11-07-10 03:17 PM
    Hmmm... that's not a bad idea.

What I can do is look to see if the entry starts with an @ sign and add the twitter link automatically.

It would be nice to have Twitter APIs for selecting a twitter name from within the native twitter app, or even pass it a twitter name to follow someone. I know there are BBM APIs on the way, so hopefully that will give more options on that front.
    11-07-10 03:48 PM
    Downloading now
    11-07-10 04:24 PM
    BBM APIs are coming? Awesome!

11-07-10 06:49 PM
    BBM APIs are listed to be "coming soon" in RIM's developer portal. They aren't available yet, though.
    11-08-10 05:17 PM
    That's awesome tho - hopefully we'll be able to get some sweet updates to apps that do message related stuff... that doesn't sound near as cool as it did in my head lol.

11-08-10 05:24 PM
    Build .58 has been uploaded and ready for both BB6 and OS 5.0.

This build has mostly a few tweaks based on responses from people testing, plus a little bit of twitter integration (thanks SCrid2000). Pretty much, on the @ tab, if the entry starts with an @-sign, it expects it to be a twitter name, otherwise, it expects the entry to be an e-mail address. For now, it turns the twitter name into a twitter url.

On the result screen, it will display the twitter barcode listed as a twitter name. Clicking on "Browse" will open their twitter page in the browser. Unfortunately, there aren't any APIs to link it into the native Twitter app. I may try to find a work-around, though.

Barcode Assistant Beta Links
    11-08-10 05:24 PM
    Glad I could help
    Btw, not to be nitpicky, but 85xx devices won't get OS6

11-08-10 05:32 PM
    Ack... You're right. I shouldn't have the 85xx listed with the BB6 build (85xx... gone).

The 85xx series should work with the 5.0 build, though.
    Last edited by Xopher; 11-08-10 at 05:58 PM.
    11-08-10 05:54 PM
    Oh, and the Email/Twitter tab works with the standard shortcuts. So, pressing the space bar while typing in an e-mail address auto-fills the @ and . characters.

If you press the space bar first, it will fill in the @ sign for twitter names, too.
    11-08-10 05:59 PM
    I'm on a 9700 5.0.0.979 and I can create barcodes with your app but I cannot get it to scan. I tried a battery pull but to no avail. Same results.
    11-08-10 06:07 PM
    Just put up build .59. It cleans up the scan process and a few graphics items.

With the 5.0 build, you have to click the trackpad to take a photo of the image (or press the space bar, OS 5.0 doesn't do anything automatic with scanning). It is known to sometimes have problems with scanning the image (I tried top optimize it to read better).

Things that help with 5.0:
    • Be at least 6 or more inches away from the barcode - the camera has to focus on the image.
    • Try to make sure the barcode looks square on the screen. If it looks like /_\, the reader won't read it.

The nice thing with BB6 is that it will keep scanning the image, so as you move the BB around in front of the barcode, it will finally recognize it. I know with my Tour, I'm able to scan using the 5.0 version, but I do have to watch the angles and let the BB autofocus on the image.
    11-08-10 10:30 PM
    A new build for OS 5.0 devices just went up (build .60). This one adds camera resolution to the settings screen.

The standard is 640x480. There is now an option to use 1024x768, which might give better resolution to some who are having issues with scans being found - it may slow the decoding down a bit with the larger image, though.

If 640x480 is working, it is probably best to leave it at that. If 640x480 isn't working, possibly the higher resolution will help.
    11-09-10 09:39 AM
    After frustrating Xopher to no end in PMs, I have to say I am very pleased with the product beta so far, even running on my buggy LEAKED OS.

Dev response is also superb.

Cheers
    Last edited by hexwulf; 11-09-10 at 03:00 PM. Reason: lrn2type noob
    11-09-10 03:00 PM
    Thanks everyone for helping out so much! I put up the final build this evening. If everything goes well, it is off to App World and MobiHand.

There were a few more tweaks in this latest build, along with cleaning up code and graphics. Some information got moved around for better viewing, and barcodes on the result screen are larger. You can also click on the barcode on the result screen and it will display the full-screen image. I tried to make the UI simple and easy to use, plus having menu options outside the app (why go outside the web browser to scan a web barcode?).

I think the only request I didn't put into this version was colored barcodes. That is something that might end up in the next release.
    11-09-10 09:09 PM
    Thanks for all the input! The official version is in the Crackberry app store now:
    Barcode Assistant - Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store

It's also been sent to RIM for App World approval, so hopefully it will show up there soon as well!
    11-11-10 04:57 PM
    Glad I could help bro - awesome little app, I'm surprised it's not part of the OS since RIM included a qr reader.
    11-11-10 05:07 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD