Been doing alot of reading on backing up Apps using BB Desktop Manager (DM) and BBSAK............but.........nothing found on this

When you backup Apps using DM or BBSAK.........if you do an OS upgrade.......properly......are all the Apps supposed to appear the way you left them?????? Or, do all the Apps have to be re-activated and re-set???

I recently did an OS upgrade. I backed up my data with DM, etc. etc. and restored the data.

Once my install was complete and the phone booted up.........all of my Apps were there........but............most all of my Apps were as if I had just installed them (BerryWeather, QuickLaunch, BeBuzz, etc. etc. etc.). I had to start some Apps by re-entering the Activation Code to get them going. All of my locations sets for BerryWeather were gone.........all QuickLanch links were gone.........all BeBuzz settings were gone.....etc.

Is this normal???? I have not found this being discussed anywhere. It was not to bad. I survived and everything is working great.........it was just a huge PITA.

Thanks for any info!!
    03-20-10 09:57 PM
    Yes, the apps seem to be like they were just installed because they were just installed. Luckily apps like QuickLaunch, and now BerryBuzz, let you backup all the settings.
    03-20-10 10:32 PM
    Yes, the apps seem to be like they were just installed because they were just installed. Luckily apps like QuickLaunch, and now BerryBuzz, let you backup all the settings.
    Yes, this is correct. I used BBSAK to back up my 3rd-party apps the last time I upgraded my OS (used BBSAK to load the new OS too). I did not need to reinstall my QuickLaunch settings, since I had those backed up to the microSD card.
    03-20-10 11:00 PM
    Ok..........I'm remaining calm . Thanks!! At least I understand now and can mentally prepare before my next OS upgrade.

I did update to the latest QL 2.xxxx? and did notice the Backup/Restore 'button'. Just haven't clicked it yet but I will now.

I just checked through BeBuzz and didn't notice any 'Backup' feature there but I will look some more.

Thanks again!!!
    03-21-10 08:22 AM
    Berry(be)weather also has a backup feature - really a time-saving and needed feature. I THINK it also winds up registered when you restore.

The last two hybrid upgrades I did automatically backed up and restored my 3rd party apps but many did need their registration restored manually. But I also do NOT depend on this automation and backup manually using bbsak.
    03-21-10 08:58 AM
    There is a better way. BBSAK is broken with later loads. Look through the "how to" forums. Basically you are doing a switch device then copying the temp/PIN directiry that procedure creates. After that cancel the switch device. You can do a restore anytime for your 3rd party applications now but is basically done with the DM via install app then browse...you will still have to re-register some programs but that is expected and gets even easier since many allow you to restore their settings via a backup off a uSD card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-10 10:34 AM
    The free version of berryweather does not let you back-up & restore - only the paid version.

03-21-10 10:40 AM
    shansmi: Thanks for the comments/info!! That is the kindof info I'm looking for. Except I do not understand " BBSAK is broken with later loads"????

I have read a little about the DM 'Switch Device' procedure but have not tried it yet.......but I sure will.

Thanks again!!
    03-21-10 11:04 AM
    Backup 3rd Party Apps Using Desktop Manager
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

i've used that method to backup 3rd party apps. However, when i needed to reload them it wouldn't work. i used BBSAK to reload the apps that were backed up using the DM method. i much prefer BBSAK. i have 9630/4.7.1.61. Not sure what the "it's broken" post mean. Does BBSAK not work with some OSs?

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/bbs...5-09-a-346247/

03-21-10 11:09 AM
    Yes...... I have found my Backup/Restore button on BeWeather........guess I'm goin to have to start payin more attention to that button

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    03-21-10 02:28 PM
    The problem is, the user has to manually keep all those proprietary 3rd-party app data backups up to date. Not a trivial task if you have a lot of apps.

The worst part is most 3rd-party apps don't have that feature. For example, during a recent OS upgrade, despite the fact that DM does re-install the 3rd-party apps themselves, I lost all the configurations and all data from BeeJive (all account information, all chat logs) and FreeRange (my entire list of feeds, along with my entire list of read/unread articles. I had 90 articles set to "read later" - everything lost)

I think this is one of my least favorite aspects of the BB, compared to other platforms.
    07-23-10 03:02 AM
    QuickLaunch, BeWeather Free, and BerryBuzz all allow you to backup your data to the SDcard. I wish all apps could do this.

07-23-10 03:20 AM
    The problem is, the user has to manually keep all those proprietary 3rd-party app data backups up to date. Not a trivial task if you have a lot of apps.

The worst part is most 3rd-party apps don't have that feature. For example, during a recent OS upgrade, despite the fact that DM does re-install the 3rd-party apps themselves, I lost all the configurations and all data from BeeJive (all account information, all chat logs) and FreeRange (my entire list of feeds, along with my entire list of read/unread articles. I had 90 articles set to "read later" - everything lost)

I think this is one of my least favorite aspects of the BB, compared to other platforms.
    It is frustrating. The problem is that each app has to specifically code its own support for allowing backups /restores to desktop; and if they don't the platform doesn't give it automatically. This is frustrating as a developer - since it's just data that could be transferred blindly; but I assume that RIM doesn't allow that because they want o be able to show meaningful details (eg "5/10 address records updated" vs "backing up Some Proprietary Address App")

I've added backup support to the dev builds of bbssh, and I can safely say it's a pain in the rear to both figure out (poor documentation) and implement (poor documentation). I'm hoping to publish a library that makes it easier, but I don't expect it will see broad adoption...
    07-23-10 01:28 PM
    There is no easy way to backup 3rd apps

07-24-10 04:09 AM
    And there should be! When I had Treos for years, there was a great FREE program called NV Backup - and it backed EVERYTHING on your Treo to an SD card! You could restore your Treo to the EXACT condition it was when you either wiped it, or replaced it with a newer one. Why can't we have this functionality with a BB?
    07-24-10 08:32 AM
    And there should be! When I had Treos for years, there was a great FREE program called NV Backup - and it backed EVERYTHING on your Treo to an SD card! You could restore your Treo to the EXACT condition it was when you either wiped it, or replaced it with a newer one. Why can't we have this functionality with a BB?
    Wish we had something like that for BlackBerry.

07-24-10 08:40 AM

I've written the same thing repeatedly. In my case it was some version of BackupBuddy on the Treo, usually. Those utilities have saved my skin countless times.

As it is now, every time I do a BB OS upgrade, I'm never sure what extent of data I'm going to lose in my 3rd-party apps as a consequence. There's a lot more to returning to one's working state with 3rd-party apps than just re-installing the .COD files.

There must be some sort of file/data security issue. For example, the file browsing utilities I have used for the BB don't even begin to display a fraction of the files that I know are on the device.
    07-26-10 02:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD