I have a question regarding available app memory. I've searched and read through a lot of threads and it seems like most people have a lot more app memory than I do, and I've only installed 3 apps so far. My available app memory is 105.4 mb and the only apps I have so far are the Blackberry App World, Facebook, and Quickpull.

Is this amount of available app space normal, with only these apps installed? I haven't done anything with the OS, it's the standard one that came on the phone, so I don't know if that would have anything to do with it.
    09-13-09 10:18 AM
    You're fine. Most apps are below a meg in size for the Tour. Lots of people have removed native apps from their phones they don't use which is how they got all of that extra memory. I removed a couple things I don't use and am sitting at around 104 megs with quite a bit installed. It all depends on what you want on your Berry. Just make sure you don't use ALL of your memory up with apps. I'd try to keep at least 50 mb free although that number is debatable.

I personally don't see a need for BB maps AND google maps and I have VZ Navigator so I deleted both of them and kept Navigator as it is a turn by turn GPS with a few other features. It's expensive, but hey, work pays for it not me and they told me I was getting it period. I didn't argue.
    Last edited by gmkahuna; 09-13-09 at 10:53 AM.
    09-13-09 10:49 AM
    That's plenty of free memory. You only need to worry about it if your file free drops below 10 MB. You're 10x that now.
    09-13-09 10:53 AM
    In my opinion you dont need quickpull, well the light version anyway. just press alt+rightshift+delete and your BB will reboot.
    09-13-09 11:06 AM
    I kinda like quickpull lite but, it's simply a matter of preference. Shaki's way works just as well from what I've seen too.
    09-13-09 11:22 AM
    Thanks for all the help. I'm still getting used to everything about this phone, but I do plan on eventually going through and trying to get rid of some of the stuff I don't need.

I have one more question. I've installed and un-installed a couple apps today, and I've rebooted each time when the phone prompts me to. Is there such a thing as rebooting the phone too much?
    09-13-09 11:30 AM
    No, rebooting is harmless and required in the situation you describe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 11:32 AM
    You're fine. Most apps are below a meg in size for the Tour. Lots of people have removed native apps from their phones they don't use which is how they got all of that extra memory. I removed a couple things I don't use and am sitting at around 104 megs with quite a bit installed. It all depends on what you want on your Berry. Just make sure you don't use ALL of your memory up with apps. I'd try to keep at least 50 mb free although that number is debatable.

I personally don't see a need for BB maps AND google maps and I have VZ Navigator so I deleted both of them and kept Navigator as it is a turn by turn GPS with a few other features. It's expensive, but hey, work pays for it not me and they told me I was getting it period. I didn't argue.
    Does BB maps and google maps use anything in common. In other words can I delete BB maps and still have google maps functioning?
    09-13-09 02:35 PM
    They both use GPS but deleting one won't impact another.

09-13-09 02:59 PM
    Does BB maps and google maps use anything in common. In other words can I delete BB maps and still have google maps functioning?
    Google Maps will function in cell tower mode only. It can't use the internal GPS in your Verizon 8330. BBMaps and VZNav are the only apps that can use the internal GPS on Verizon 8x30 devices.
    09-13-09 03:37 PM
    I have roughly 12 apps, 4 themes and am currently at about 122 mb. The phone will just run smoother with more memory. Highly recommend to use application loader and get rid of the pre-loaded apps that you'll never use. You can also get an app called MaxMem that will help you out.

09-13-09 04:45 PM
    ...I have roughly 12 apps, 4 themes and am currently at about 122 mb. The phone will just run smoother with more memory...
    There's no reason to waste memory on apps you don't use, but as long as you don't run out of memory, your phone won't run any differently with 120 MB free than it will with 20 MB free. Unused memory is just that. It isn't doing anything beneficial for you.
    09-13-09 04:52 PM
    There's no reason to waste memory on apps you don't use, but as long as you don't run out of memory, your phone won't run any differently with 120 MB free than it will with 20 MB free. Unused memory is just that. It isn't doing anything beneficial for you.
    Hate to disagree Jeff but just like a PC having more RAM will help multi-tasking run that much smoother. That's just plain facts, the same goes for a BB.

09-13-09 05:06 PM
    The key to my comment is "as long as you don't run out of memory." As long as you have enough memory for the apps that are running, they'll run exactly the same. More free memory that they are not using won't make any difference.

I'm willing to be corrected, but I don't think your analogy is valid. Multi-tasking works better with more memory on a PC because when the OS runs out of memory, it has to swap out applications. BlackBerry apps are always in memory, whether they are executing or not.

09-13-09 05:30 PM
    Hate to disagree Jeff but just like a PC having more RAM will help multi-tasking run that much smoother. That's just plain facts, the same goes for a BB.

The tour has 256mb of dedicated system memory, that functions like the ram in your PC, the memory that is listed in your options>memory is your app memory and your sd card. In turn Jeff was right, as long as you have between 10 and 20 mb of app mem free you won't notice a slow down because of the 256 dedicated ram.

09-13-09 06:08 PM
    The tour has 256mb of dedicated system memory..
    THANK GOD FOR THIS. One of the main reasons I love my Tour so much.
    09-13-09 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD