I've successfully tested my PIM sync service being discussed here to also sync to the Playbook by merely adding a CalDAV entry. No sending out to google and then pulling back. All done in one step automatically!

First sync service to offer Playbook? I think so!

Stay tuned for availability to the public in the next few days!

Trialsman
    03-13-12 12:58 PM
    Sounds very cool man sorry I missed the beta lol.
    Now if you just submitted it to App World, I hope you know that (at least for me) apps usually take 3 weeks or so to get approved.
    03-13-12 11:06 PM
    Very good news. Looking forward to it. Thanks for taking the initiative!
    03-14-12 04:40 AM
    Sounds very cool man sorry I missed the beta lol.
    Now if you just submitted it to App World, I hope you know that (at least for me) apps usually take 3 weeks or so to get approved.
    Actually, this is not an app. This is a service. The BB needs an app to interface with my service, but that app is already in AppWorld and is free. The PB does not need an app. It can interface directly with my service. And if you have a computer you want to throw into the loop, MS Outlook also interfaces directly with my service.

However, I would love to have an app in AppWorld, which would merely need to direct a person to a mobile version of the sign-up form. I have a developer account but haven't done anything with it yet except preview OS2 beta some months ago.

I have a lot of work ahead of me...

Trialsman
    03-14-12 09:10 AM
    Really? That's pretty sweet
    03-14-12 09:12 AM
    Very good news. Looking forward to it. Thanks for taking the initiative!
    I'm two weeks behind the curve. When I first upgraded my OS2 beta to the official release, I did not get the new PIM apps so I didn't even know they existed. After I wiped and reloaded and I had the apps on my PB, I was able to see what best manner to interface with them. 24 hours later I had tested it and presto!

Trialsman
    03-14-12 09:15 AM
    Trials, I hate to be a dope, but what is the free app that allows the BB to interface?

Actually, this is not an app. This is a service. The BB needs an app to interface with my service, but that app is already in AppWorld and is free. The PB does not need an app. It can interface directly with my service. And if you have a computer you want to throw into the loop, MS Outlook also interfaces directly with my service.

However, I would love to have an app in AppWorld, which would merely need to direct a person to a mobile version of the sign-up form. I have a developer account but haven't done anything with it yet except preview OS2 beta some months ago.

I have a lot of work ahead of me...

Trialsman
    03-16-12 07:24 AM
    Trials, I hate to be a dope, but what is the free app that allows the BB to interface?
    The free app is called Funambol. It is a so-called "free" sync service that got me started on coming out with my own service. Funambol has Terms Of Service (TOS) like Facebook, which says that they have irrevocable, royalty-free, sublicensable rights to everything you upload to their service. That is why the service is free, to get your Intellectual Property (IP) which can be extremely valuable. My own TOS will state that I claim no rights to your IP.

For now I use the Funambol BB client (which is open source) to connect to my service. The base technology is SyncML, however my service adds a few more sync technologies into the mix to add support for many more devices across all platforms without the need for specialty clients. For instance, with Funambol you can't sync with MS Outlook unless you install their client. With my service you don't need a client to sync with MS Outlook. Later I will develop my own BB sync client.

Obviously you can go to AppWorld and download Funambol, but I would suggest you not sign up for their "free" service. Having the client on your BB will not enable you to sync with your PB. You need my sync server to talk between them. I'll have my service available for subscription early next week. I'm thinking $5 a year.

If you want to sign up now as a beta tester with a free subscription, see my next post!

Trialsman
    mundo472 likes this.
    03-16-12 05:34 PM
    Anyway your server can hook up with MS Exchange?
    03-17-12 01:25 AM
    Btw, count me in for beta testing. The lack of integration of the cal/con w my bb has been the most disappointing part of os2

And $5 a year is plenty reasonable...
    03-17-12 06:40 AM
    Me too. Sounds like a great service. Will it work with a cal and cont on BES?
    03-17-12 07:31 AM
    Anyway your server can hook up with MS Exchange?
    Yes, I believe that is possible. However, that requires purchasing a license from Microsoft on a per user basis. I am not currently prepared to make that commitment and that would obviously raise the price of the service, at least for the Exchange users.

I hadn't been considering connecting to MS Exchange.

Trialsman
    03-19-12 08:10 AM
    Me too. Sounds like a great service. Will it work with a cal and cont on BES?
    Surely, if you have access to BES then you already have the ultimate sync solution.

My service is for people that don't have access to BES. Or for small companies that want similar capabilities as BES but don't want to make the financial commitment.

Trialsman
    03-19-12 08:15 AM
    Any idea of when it will be ready!
    03-21-12 12:43 PM
    Any idea of when it will be ready!
    Well, the service itself has been ready for a week. However, I wanted to get a web site finished to start off properly. But I just don't seem to have time at the moment to work on the web site.

I guess the best thing to do at the moment is get the new set-up instructions completed and have a handful of you start using the service. I'm working on those instructions today.

Trialsman
    mundo472 and cajunberry like this.
    03-22-12 11:30 AM
    After considerable frustration and hair-pulling, I have determined that the client on the Playbook won't connect to a standard WebDAV server.

While my service does indeed sync BB calendar with PB very smoothly (that is called CalDAV), the PB won't even attempt to make a connection to CardDAV (Contact list).

I am going to put in a request to RIM to see if this is a known issue. Has anyone managed to connect a PB to any Contacts list?

Trialsman
    Last edited by Trialsman; 03-29-12 at 09:11 AM.
    03-28-12 06:24 PM
    Trials, I had a terrible time with google. The pb would sync fine but icouldnt get a good sync on the bb. Multiple copies (60+) of appointments and contacts, while missing a bunch of appointments. Tbe problem was the bb sync, not the pb
    Last edited by mundo472; 03-29-12 at 03:29 AM.
    03-28-12 07:02 PM
    That is interesting. So possibly the WebDAV server I have isn't 100% standard, or at least not currently speaking to PB. I wish I had more time to put into this...
    03-29-12 09:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD