Should I be able to get onto App World using just WiFi?

The signal around my house is crappy, therefore I rely a lot on WiFi. My Storm2 picked up emails/BBM strongly with the WiFi, and from what I have seen so far my 9900 is also doing emails/BBM OK, but I tried getting onto AppWorld the other day and it said 'check connections'.

Why isn't it allowing me to get on?

Thanks
    08-21-11 09:26 AM
    I am on wifi now and I can access App World with no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-11 09:57 AM
    Should I be able to get onto App World using just WiFi?

The signal around my house is crappy, therefore I rely a lot on WiFi. My Storm2 picked up emails/BBM strongly with the WiFi, and from what I have seen so far my 9900 is also doing emails/BBM OK, but I tried getting onto AppWorld the other day and it said 'check connections'.

Why isn't it allowing me to get on?

Thanks

I'm in the same boat. I used to always be able to use App World over Wi-Fi, but now with my 9930, no go. And my house is in a dead zone, so AppWorld is virtually inoperable with me when I'm home.
    08-25-11 06:15 AM
    I live in a "dead zone" as well and would love to hear some feed back on this question. I haven't noticed an issue but I can't remember if I have tried to access App World from home yet or not with my 9930. I have only had it a week.
    08-25-11 08:43 AM
    App World does not work over wifi, even if you have WiFi enabled. It will always goes over the cell network...

Same with Google Maps and a few other applications....
    08-25-11 09:15 AM
    App World does not work over wifi, even if you have WiFi enabled. It will always goes over the cell network...

Same with Google Maps and a few other applications....
    I didn't know this. That's frustrating. So you don't think the user ESN above is actually using the WiFi network?

Why does AppWorld and Google Maps always use the cell network? I could have sworn that AppWorld worked through WiFi on my Storm2 because I never had this problem in my dead-zone house...

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but how do you know this? Thanks for the information all the same.
    08-27-11 08:22 PM
    Because we test it to see. I have a Torch and I can't get on just Wifi. I get the error like, "you don't have sufficient coverage your radio operation is turned off"

Last edited by calicocat2010; 08-27-11 at 09:16 PM.
    08-27-11 09:13 PM
    Yep, App World does not work on WiFi.
    08-27-11 09:17 PM
    This feature will most likely be added once UMA is added.

08-27-11 09:48 PM
    Yea I turned off the cellular connection and turned on wifi...wouldn't let me access App world
    08-29-11 10:58 AM
    I didn't know this. That's frustrating. So you don't think the user ESN above is actually using the WiFi network?

Why does AppWorld and Google Maps always use the cell network? I could have sworn that AppWorld worked through WiFi on my Storm2 because I never had this problem in my dead-zone house...

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but how do you know this? Thanks for the information all the same.
    I never had an issue with my 9550 connecting at my house that is in a deadzone either and always assumed it was connecting to App World over WiFi.
    08-31-11 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD