I have left the Blackberry 9700 for Android Nexus One over a year ago and now have moved to the Thunderbolt after having numerous Android devices. I am thinking about picking up a new Blackberry and was wondering if the platform is allowing apps to sd card. When I was using the 9700 that was a sore subject with me considering the lack of internal memory on the 9700. Any help would be welcomed. Still have my 9700.
    Vinny
    09-12-11 09:17 AM
    No. You cannot save apps to the SD card.
    That said, the new devices should have a large amount of device memory to work with.
    09-12-11 09:24 AM
    No apps will be saved to the SD Card.

They are saved to the App/OS storage which, after taking into consideration the preloaded apps and OS, is about 200MB of free space left for any apps you wish to download and install.

This may not seem like a lot but apps are under 1MB and not usually over 2MB.

Apps like Rollercoaster Rush 2 that require more space save a large chunk of their data to onboard storage which is 4GB on the 9860/9850.

If you were downloading a lot of large apps you would be able to have about 190-200 on your phone given that amount of space it has so I wouldnt worry about memory restrictions. I have yet to meet someone that has a use for that many apps.

If I helped, clickem mah Thanks buttons! Take Care!
    webmn likes this.
    09-12-11 12:16 PM
    App 2 SD is a great feature, but I was able to survive on BB without it.
    09-12-11 12:23 PM
    Part of the reason for the dedicated application memory is security. The application memory in Blackberries has hardware features that deal with preventing corruption of the executable files. The device memory and the SD card are just ordinary memory. They didn't come up with the application memory architecture just to make life difficult for users and application developers. Security is one of the big selling points for Blackerries. If it's good enough for the President of the United States, it must be good enough for corporate use . (When he was elected President, Barack Obama insisted that they find a way for him to keep his Blackberry.)
    Last edited by CharlesH; 09-12-11 at 03:07 PM.
    09-12-11 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD