How many apps do we need? I have many apps I never use and still have almost 90MB of free app memory. I have a dozen games that are either unplayable on the S2 or simply downright boring. 2 weather apps? C'mon. 3 stock trackers, 5 world news, 3 sports scores (for multiple sports) 2 for specific sports. Utilites? Enough to tell me more about my phone than I really need to know.

Funny, I read all the time about the S2 not having enough app space. I have space left over with 94 apps and themes. Don't need most of them, what good is the extra space? I change my theme sometimes 3 times a day. It's a pain setting up the themes after each upgrade.

There are thousands of apps for iphone and at least several hundreds for blackberries but there's probably only a few dozen things those apps do that anyone would need. Very few apps are worth paying for, and that's for both platforms. My girl has the iphone so I see both worlds from this perspective.

Here's all I think we need. Phone (1st and foremost), camera, video recorder, music player, video player, a good gps mapping program, a good browser. WiFi is nice for use with the browser, bluetooth for headphones. The push email (BIS/BES) and sync with desktop. Maybe a couple of games for diversion (that work well, are challenging and playable on S2). And then maybe space for a few (3-4) for each individual.

I've just been thinking about it and wondering why I have all this stuff loaded on my phone when I don't use half of it. I realized it was just because I could. To be able to show everyone how smart my smartphone is. Keep up with the rest of the world.

I guess I just need a dumbed down smart phone. LOL. Anyway, just wondering what thoughts there are out there for the sheer quantity of apps and really how many are used by everyone else.
    06-13-10 04:20 PM
    The iPhone has a million useless apps, and the Android and BlackBerry platforms are beginning to resemble the "there's an app for that" montra. Realistically, I would say out of the 20 apps I have, I use about 10 daily/every other day.

No need for an app to wipe your ***.
    06-13-10 04:42 PM
    I would rather have 100 good apps to choose from then 200,000 worthless apps to weed through to find something good.

And I have about 40 apps, but really only use about 10 of them on a regular basis. Some I just have stored on my computer in case I want to use them later. For example, I tend to rotate through games. I think I currently have about 25 apps installed on the phone and that's just fine.

When OS 6 hits we are going to be VERY tight on memory, but right now there's more than enough.
    06-13-10 05:07 PM
    I would rather have 100 good apps to choose from then 200,000 worthless apps to weed through to find something good.

And I have about 40 apps, but really only use about 10 of them on a regular basis. Some I just have stored on my computer in case I want to use them later. For example, I tend to rotate through games. I think I currently have about 25 apps installed on the phone and that's just fine.

When OS 6 hits we are going to be VERY tight on memory, but right now there's more than enough.
    I haven't seen much on OS6 that would use a huge amount of the left over. Some yes, but OS6 on the S2 will be about where OS5 was on the S1, but guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    06-13-10 07:48 PM
    I use 10 apps on mine and that's all I need even when I had the incredible I only had a few apps. I use mine for work and play but no need for all the extra crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-10 07:09 AM
    I agree with Chuck. I have about 10 apps that I use regularly and run at about 125MB free. I'm hoping memory under OS6 won't be an issue for me.
    06-14-10 07:24 AM
    Seems like I'm not alone in my "why the heck did I load that"? thoughts. Deleted some themes and worthless apps, now back to 93mb free space.
    06-14-10 07:25 AM
    I'm another one that loads only the apps I use. BerryWeather,Docs to Go,and BBM are my everday ones. 136.5mb free right now. I'm also hoping when OS6 drops memory won't be an issue for me.
    Last edited by Steve 3073; 06-14-10 at 08:12 AM.
    06-14-10 08:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD