Hello, now i know this has probably been asked a zillion times but every thread i searched did not meet the same requirements as i have met. here goes:

I got a BlackBerry Curve from Virgin Mobile (has an unlimited BIS plan for only $35/mo) and i live in a fringe Sprint coverage area (1, 2 bars max which drains the battery super quick if left on) so i turn OFF mobile network at work and at home (which is a dead zone with eats battery up again if left on but i have access to WiFi) so the conditions are:

1. i HAVE BIS service.
    2. Push services (email, Facebook, etc) WORK
    3. Browsers (Hotspot and Opera Mini) WORK
    4. App World (with mobile off and only using Wifi) DOES NOT WORK

not sure why. if i walk outside and enable the mobile network (again it is a big drain on my battery and i am lucky to get two hours of use with it on since in the house it is 'NO SERVICE' and the phone is warm to touch) the App World magically works fine. so i can surmise it is not working via Wifi with mobile network off. not sure why, i DO have BIS and the other services appear to work fine. this would suck if i have to have the mobile network on to use it. as stated it eats my battery up in a fringe or no coverage area so i usually use Wifi only since i don't talk on the thing much.

EDIT: also, is there another sort of app store that would work with wifi only? since i hardly talk much and the mobile network on CDMA has a habit of eating up batteries in low coverage areas (haven't seen that or the 'warm phone' syndrome since my old AMPS/CDMA Nokia 5190i) i usually use Wifi with mobile network OFF when available (gives me the data access and long battery life but no App world )
    Last edited by nickdalzell1; 08-14-11 at 01:54 PM.
    08-14-11 01:50 PM
    APP World requires initial connections to be made through the carrier. Any apps downloaded will be done through WiFI or computer if that's how your browsing, but you must have wireless on.
    08-14-11 01:55 PM
    well that stinks. my iPhone (I HATED it which is why i went with BB) at least worked on wifi with data off on its app store. darn....

yea, all apps that connect via internet after install work with mobile network off, it's just App World that seems picky. any other kind of app store with good selection i can use? with the other threads the user had no BIS plan, i do however but it wants cellular service in order to work and i normally keep it off to save battery power
    08-14-11 02:02 PM
    Sorry, nothing else to say. That's the way RIM designed APP World.
    08-14-11 02:13 PM
    thanks for the answers i guess i will learn to turn CDMA ON when i want to download/buy an app. it will indeed suck in winter though since i only have service at home outside
    08-14-11 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD