Hi,

Does anyone know if this exists?

An app that turns off your blackberry data for 10 minutes at a time, then turns it back on for 1 min, you get all your emails, google chat, blackberry chat ... messages and then shuts off again for 10 minutes.

This would save bat by a lot. I tried not to use data on my BB and it went for the whole day on 8% of bat life.

Thanks

P.S. 10 minutes can be adjusted in settings to 1 min or 5 min ... etc
    03-16-10 10:05 PM
    Isn't the point of a Blackberry is to use it? Who cares if the battery last forever if you aren't using it. I could leave my BB on the charger all day long at home, and get my emails, and chats then. My battery would never go below 100% then.

I don't think an app to turn on then off data would really save you any battery. Most things the BB does are pushed to the device, so it's gonna take the same battery to give you all those messages when you turn it on compared to if you just left it on. What really kills the battery is the 3rd party apps like weather, twitter, sports, and viigo type apps. Those get updated, no matter if there's anything to update or not, at the time intervals you choose.

If your phone is constantly searching for a signal, then turning off data won't do any good either. Now if you shut off all connections then you would save some battery, but what's the point then?

I know people think it's cool to see how far their battery can last, but why not just charge it every night when your sleeping, unless you don't sleep. I just don't see the importance of having a battery last 3-4 days, I mean can you not find a charger sometime in those 4 days?
    03-16-10 10:35 PM
    my bat dies after 6-8 hours, i get about 200 emails and a ton of google talk and bbm messages. I also experimented and turned the data in every hour or so to get all my messages and emails and then turn it off and then again in 1 hr and bat lasts about 5 times longer. I just need a way to keep my bat long enough for one day with the load of use i have.

thx
    03-16-10 10:58 PM
    Simplest solution is to charge the battery as often as you can. There is no
    overcharge risk. Or, invest in an extended capacity battery.

I just don't see the importance of having a battery last 3-4 days,
    I mean can you not find a charger sometime in those 4 days?
    Not only is it not important, it is foolish and one of the quickest and surest
    way to kill the battery.
    03-16-10 11:07 PM
    my bat dies after 6-8 hours, i get about 200 emails and a ton of google talk and bbm messages. I also experimented and turned the data in every hour or so to get all my messages and emails and then turn it off and then again in 1 hr and bat lasts about 5 times longer. I just need a way to keep my bat long enough for one day with the load of use i have.

thx
    Get an extended battery.
    03-16-10 11:53 PM
    Get an extended battery or keep a spare OEM battery with you.
    03-17-10 01:37 PM
    I bought a spare OEM battery and quick charger and change batteries around 5pm most days. While I don't advocate a daily battery pull for memory management, I get that as a side effect of changing batteries.
    03-17-10 01:53 PM

thx
    buy a second battery. i have 8 email accts (avg 50-80 emails per day), ymsg, facebook, aim all one. I handle calls all day as 10+ calls total talk time 1.5hr. I also sms constantly sending 150+ sms per day. My phone leaves the charger at around 9:30am and my battery last all day. By 10pm my phone is probably at 30% which means I can still go out late at night without charging and still be able to use my phone.

if your battery is draining that fast then maybe you should buy a second battery and consider draining you current battery completely and then recharging it back up to reset the battery memory. you have to do that twice i believe.
    03-18-10 02:46 AM
    Not true - letting a battery discharge fully does more harm than good. Keeping it topped off helps it maintain max capacity.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 06:47 AM
    Hi,

Does anyone know if this exists?

An app that turns off your blackberry data for 10 minutes at a time, then turns it back on for 1 min, you get all your emails, google chat, blackberry chat ... messages and then shuts off again for 10 minutes.

This would save bat by a lot. I tried not to use data on my BB and it went for the whole day on 8% of bat life.
    The rapid on/off cycle will not save much power. Every time data comes to life it will need to transmit *more* to scan and renegotiate the connection, instead of simply sitting idle at standby. That will *add* extra loading on top of exactly the same data traffic.

It is more likely you need "self discipline" to only look at your phone every 10 minutes, instead of every time a message arrives. That will reduce the consumption by leaving the backlight off and the processor at low power for longer periods.
    03-18-10 08:38 AM
    Is there a way to turn off certain apps such as the music app or any that draw from the battery while not in use
    04-01-10 10:08 PM
    I tend to agree. You should be able to charge your BB within at least 2 days! Why have a battery that lasts 3-4 days - so you can sleep and not charge your phone? Wow, what an amazing feature.

EDIT: I guess unless you are on a camping trip in the middle of the forest.
    EDIT2: Take two batteries with you, then!
    Last edited by lcsglvr; 04-01-10 at 10:15 PM. Reason: camping trip
    04-01-10 10:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD