OK I was an avid Palm user for years until the stupid Pre came out. I got it, encountered more problems with the phone than I do with my ex-wife, and saw the light. I jumped ship, ran for the hills, and arrived at my new Nirvana with a Blackberry Curve 8530 (Sprint).

The light being seen I have a question for the masses:

Q: What applications would you suggest for a person carrying the Blackberry for business connectivity? What are the apps you must have-can't live wiithout?

Please and THANK YOU for your advice, insight, experience, strength and hope in advance.

Peace,
    Chris
    Shark918v @aol. com
    02-14-10 11:45 PM
    I don't know if your company provides you with a data card for your laptop, but if not a program called Tether let's you use your Blackberry as a modem with no extra fees from your carrier. If you're on the road Sprint Navigation is free and so is Google Maps. If you setup an app called Google voice to manage your voicemail, you will get a rough transcript of the voicemail right there on the app, and you can also see a list of each vm and who left it. Hope that's a start.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 04:02 AM
    Be sure you have Sheet to Go as well as Word to Go and Slideshow to Go included with Documents to Go. My Sprint 8330 came with only Word and Slideshow, but it was a free upgrade to get Sheet. If you need to read PDFs, you may want to upgrade to Documents to Go Premium.

The absolute Must Have for general productivity with the device is QuickLaunch.

Also be sure to install BlackBerry Desktop Manager and use it often to back up your device.
    02-15-10 09:05 AM
    OK, I'm gonna present some questions to the masses:

1. In the Email program. I added a few email accounts and folders opened for those accounts. There is also a folder that is basically a "catch all" where all messages are caught. Can I make that "catch all" folder go away? Can it be deleted without creating issues?

2. Whats the best contacts app out there. Somebody replied to me that hey use google contacts. In comparison between Palm and Blackberry.... Palm has better contacts (so far) (But in fairness I think the issue is due to the way that my contact were NOT mirrored properly from my old phone to my new Blackberry)

3. If my new Blackberry phone needs to be reset or sommething happens with it do I lose all the apps and data? Or is there a way to back all this stuff up?

4. What's up with the desktop manager. It doesnt have any button to connect to the calendar or the contacts list?? Can this be overcome???

5. I used to have a ga-zillion "memo" files on my old Palm phone. They never transfered over to the Blackberry. Is there any solution for this out there known by anyone???

6. Does anyone have any idea what format the Blackberry uses for video? I have a digital camera where I use the Micro SD card in it to store pics taken. Then if I want to send them home via e-mail I take the Micro SD card out of the camera and place it in the phone and send the pictures home via e-mail. NO CAN DO with the Blackberry. Its not working for me. Furthermore I am having issues taking pictures with the Blackberry camera and then sending them via text message and/or/both e-mail.

Damn I had another question on my mind and I blanked out for a second....

Oh yeah...

7. What is an "MMS" message?

8. Has anyone used the "Tether" programs to make the Blackberry the wireless modem for your laptop? Somebody replied about them.... Any feedback????

I'm sure I'll come up with more questions as I go through this new learning curve.

THANK YOU all who have replied and presented your experience strength and hope!!!!!! It is greatly appreciated.

Peace,
    Chris
    02-19-10 12:47 PM
    1. Just click on the 'all messages' icon in the main menu (not the home screen) and click on 'hide'

2. Can't help you, I'm happy with the default contacts list lol

3. Lookup bbsak - it will allow you to backup 3rd party apps. Also make sure that you make regular backups in device manager on your computer (when your bb is connected to your pc via usb).

4. Connect as in? You can choose (for both contacts and calendar) to default either your pc or bb as your main device and it will override the other, the data can be merged, or they can remain separate. To view contacts / calendars on your computer use your own application (Entourage for me, maybe outlook for you?)

5. I'd look into transferring your memos onto your computer and then exporting them to your bb as notes. Don't know too much on this.. soo. yeah.

6. You can't just put the sd card in, go to emails, go to 'add file', go up (menus) until you find 'sd memory (or something like this)', and then hunt to where the files are in here?

7. Multimedia Messaging Service (Video or picture messaging)

8. I've used 3 different blackberries to bluetooth tether with my macbook, a netbook, and a regular laptop - All work flawless. Google for a 'how to'.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers.
    02-19-10 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD