I did a search and didn't find any Requests or Apps for a compass, so I figured i'd put it out here for a Request. I saw a commercial for the iPhone today and it showed an app for a compass, It would be cool to have something like that for our Storms. Would anybody else like to see something like this? Is there a developer out there that would be willing to come up with this? I would donate.
    04-19-09 12:10 PM
    Would this be possible to do on the storm? What would it use to know the direction a person is facing?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 12:54 PM
    can't you just use bbmaps or w/e? I thought it had a compass or something....
    04-19-09 01:00 PM
    I would think that maybe they could tap into the internal gps somehow to do the directional stuff. BBmaps is nice, except when you don't have network service you can't access the maps, because you have to download them to your phone.
    04-19-09 01:28 PM
    BlackStar Navigation has a compass. Using GPS technology however, you must be moving for it to be active.

BlackStar Navigation
    04-19-09 01:32 PM
    I will try that out.
    04-19-09 01:35 PM
    I would think that maybe they could tap into the internal gps somehow to do the directional stuff. BBmaps is nice, except when you don't have network service you can't access the maps, because you have to download them to your phone.
    GPS uses movement to work. I think the only way it could work would be if you were walking and turning at the same time.
    04-19-09 02:15 PM
    you're all close. because it's a gps, it has to 'see' the satellites sending it data. for it to know what direction you are looking at on the 'compass', you must be moving. the accuracy depends on how well you're 'linked' to the satellites. don't expect foot accuracy but it certainly will give you direction.

(I'm still looking for a 'db meter'!)

My Camel
    04-19-09 02:25 PM
    Thanks My camel. I generally am walking when I am trying to use a Compass, so GPS would work for me, but I would think also that you could use the accelerometer in some way, much like they do with the levels that you can put on your storm, But it's purely speculation from my end. Is there a developer that could shed some light on the subject?
    04-19-09 02:47 PM
    Here is a thread that has a request for the iphone like compass.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ip...ss-app-204184/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 03:04 PM
    I think an app like an old ships compass classy!!
    04-19-09 04:40 PM
    I had asked for this app a couple of months ago but, nobody seemed interested......maybe now, some may be.....Yes, one like on a ship.....the older type would be awesome.
    04-19-09 08:52 PM
    Cacheberry has a compass screen. It's a Geocaching app but it does have a compass and it works well.
    04-19-09 09:00 PM
    We have a compass in the works for the Storm. myCamel is correct: part of our compass configuration and initialization involves capturing 2 different GPS points before we can establish North.
    07-10-09 09:53 AM
    please let me know when you have it. I, for one, am still interested.

everyone shoudl be aware that the 'accuracy' (as mentio0ned before) is dependent on how well the unit acquires the satellites. That said, be aware that if there is canopy (trees, mountains around, automobile roof's, etc.) your signals will be weaker and thus your accuracy decreases. But still, to have a "simple" compass giving you some partial quality direction is certainly better than wondering "where the **** am i?".

thanks Blueinc. we're waiting with baited anticipation!.

(and I'm still waiting for a 'db meter'.)
    07-10-09 10:04 AM
    Good to hear it! I'm quite pleased with our 'Ancient Mariner' base graphic! I'll post a sample up on our Coming Soon... page at blueinc.ca
    07-10-09 11:03 AM
    Being a recreational pilot... could you make a compass that looks like this?
    07-10-09 01:06 PM
    The short answer: Yes.
    The long answer: The app will have the ability to pick from a multitude of backgrounds (similar to our Storm MultiClock <-- cheap plug ). Once the base edition is launched, we'll start building the various background choices. I'll consider this one a specific request!
    -- B
    07-10-09 01:14 PM
    That would be AWESOME!!! I'll be keeping an eye for this app.
    07-10-09 01:20 PM
    GPSed and GPS logger both have a compass view included. GPS logger has the better compass view of the 2 programs.
    07-10-09 01:33 PM
    We decided to do 2 versions: a �Lite� version with basic functionality for a low, low price and, in a couple of months, an �Enhanced� version with many more features.
    We released the Compass Lite today. Here�s the blurb:
    This wonderful 'Ancient Mariner' compass uses the built-in GPS in the device to show your line of travel, speed, latitude and longitude and where North is in relation to your heading. To establish a line of travel, you must be moving.

Available through our website and Mobihand.com

Enjoy!

B
    08-01-09 08:23 AM
    thanks Brian. it really works well. haven't found a problem! now i know in which direction I'm going

(have a friend that told me one time: why do i need a GPS???? I know where I am!

Thanks for this and i'm now excited to see what's coming!
    08-01-09 11:48 AM
    We decided to do 2 versions: a �Lite� version with basic functionality for a low, low price and, in a couple of months, an �Enhanced� version with many more features.
    We released the Compass Lite today. Here�s the blurb:
    This wonderful 'Ancient Mariner' compass uses the built-in GPS in the device to show your line of travel, speed, latitude and longitude and where North is in relation to your heading. To establish a line of travel, you must be moving.

Available through our website and Mobihand.com

Enjoy!

B
    got to admit i really like this compass, looks great and performs like it should!
    08-05-09 05:53 PM
    Now that is a great looking compass.
    08-05-09 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD