Hi guys, I’m wondering what is the average out there for free space on app memory, when i reboot my bold its 18.5MB, seems low with only a few application installed, I’m running OS 5.0.238, then goes down to 12sh and sometimes under10 mb i always close my app after using so it doesn't run in the background
    Last edited by fadi316; 10-21-09 at 04:21 PM.
    10-21-09 03:27 PM
    Sounds low for not having that many apps installed. I get close to 39-40mb after a battery pull and gets down into the mid 30s after a few days use.

I've got about 6 themes installed along with a dozen apps at any given time. I'm running 4.6.282 though, and haven't fiddled around with any of the OS 5 betas.
    10-21-09 04:07 PM
    After reboot I have 30mb...goes down to about 24 after about 12 -15 hours and stays there. I have about 20 apps, use about 6 -10 of them regularly, but always close them when done. i'm on 5.0.0.238. when I DL 5.0 I lost about 8mb, but the memory drain is not near as bad. Before it would go down to 14mb.
    10-21-09 04:11 PM
    any suggestions to try and get more free space?
    10-21-09 05:18 PM
    Delete options and games standard in the os which you dont use. Also themes you dont use. Try different programs for example your im service. Eg i found instango has a lot smaller footprint then nimbuzz... There are many posts on this forum discussing this issue as mem on bold is a hot item. I must say that os 5.238 has excellent mem magement on my bold, 34 to 31 mb constant available without any strange jumps over time.

Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-09 05:47 PM
    Limit your emails to 15 days storing or 30 days. and delete also any emails that you have attachments on. Attachments are downloaded on the device memory.
    Get rid of unused apps and software that came with the phone. You can remove the help files, games, etc...
    Certain apps use a lot of memory if you don't clean up the cache once in a while.
    On Viigo for example, if you don't delete the feeds and only keep them as read items, it uses a lot of space.
    You want to be above 25mb after reboot for the device to perform well.
    10-21-09 06:17 PM
    i was at 20 after i installed the new bbm, which obviously was extremely low, so i backed up, removed bbm, wiped device, restored contacts, reinstalled bbm, and now i boot with 41mb, with about 10 apps installed.
    10-21-09 07:27 PM
    Im having the same problem as fadi316. I just upgraded to the new 5.0.238 OS and after i turned the blackberry on the app memory was at 20 mb. I thought that was pretty low so i did a battery pull and when the blackberry was on again it went down to 18 mb. I went and deleted most of the apps that was on my blackberry and it went back up to 20 mb but as the hours went by, the app memory is sitting at 16 mb.Could someone help?
    10-21-09 08:08 PM
    Im having the same problem as fadi316. I just upgraded to the new 5.0.238 OS and after i turned the blackberry on the app memory was at 20 mb. I thought that was pretty low so i did a battery pull and when the blackberry was on again it went down to 18 mb. I went and deleted most of the apps that was on my blackberry and it went back up to 20 mb but as the hours went by, the app memory is sitting at 16 mb.Could someone help?
    OS 5.0 occupies more space than 4.6, its like 10~15mb more, dont remember actually. How much free memory did you have using 4.6? Make sure your databases are not wasting space (options > status > database sizes)
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-21-09 at 08:17 PM.
    10-21-09 08:14 PM
    i really, repeat REALLY think these low app memory experiences are database leaks from 4.6 builds, i started from scratch with no restore and seriously reboot with all contacts and apps over 40mb, and haven't dropped below 34mb in a week without a battery pull.
    10-21-09 08:16 PM
    i really, repeat REALLY think these low app memory experiences are database leaks from 4.6 builds, i started from scratch with no restore and seriously reboot with all contacts and apps over 40mb, and haven't dropped below 34mb in a week without a battery pull.
    It all depends on how many apps you have. Myself i have many and settled at around 32~28mb on 4.6, on 5.0 i now settle at 20~16mb restoring only address book, calendar and browser bookmarks.
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-21-09 at 08:22 PM.
    10-21-09 08:20 PM
    when i went to status, there's nothing that says database size..and it seem lik everytime i do a battery pull the app mememory goes lower and lower. If it is a database leak what should i do?
    10-22-09 12:55 AM
    It all depends on how many apps you have. Myself i have many and settled at around 32~28mb on 4.6, on 5.0 i now settle at 20~16mb restoring only address book, calendar and browser bookmarks.
    i have
    beejive
    google maps
    google sync
    nintai
    pandora
    quicklaunch
    weatherbug
    facebook
    flickr
    and i boot with 41mb of free app memory
    10-22-09 12:58 AM
    when i went to status, there's nothing that says database size..and it seem lik everytime i do a battery pull the app mememory goes lower and lower. If it is a database leak what should i do?
    Did you press the menu button?, it has to be there O_o
    If its a database leak you will have to clear the most useless ones using desktop manager. For me the important ones that get backed up are address book, calendar, blackberry messenger, browser bookmarks, i used to backup theme settings and wifi profiles but not anymore. Also i dont know what happens if you clear the onboard memory "database", just dont touch that one since its what you have in the 1GB device memory, not sure if it clears out the whole device memory.
    i have
    beejive
    google maps
    google sync
    nintai
    pandora
    quicklaunch
    weatherbug
    facebook
    flickr
    and i boot with 41mb of free app memory
    I have 64 third party apps which include apps and games, in addition to 1 downloaded addon app (WLM). Dont know why we are actually discussing this though... however, in my opinion you should have a bit more of free app memory, is there anything else installed besides that? docstogo? the blackberry games?
    Last edited by gbsn; 10-22-09 at 03:32 AM.
    10-22-09 01:09 AM
    OH i found database size, how will i know its really a database leak?,I already cleared most of the useless apps like help, the games and ect. the only apps i still have are the ones i need like msn,facebook and the blackberry messenger,contacts and calander,google maps, and i only have one themes that i use, i tried to delete the preinstalled themes but i cant find it in the java apps folder and the pictures wont let me delete them.
    10-22-09 10:24 AM
    Try to call ur service provider first to see if they can unlock your phone
    Ah yes, first thing you should always do when you have memory leaks.
    10-22-09 12:54 PM
    I have 55 apps.I start with 25MB and end up with 8 MB in 15 hrs.I now have 9.85 MB. Pretty bad but the performance doesn't drop.

10-22-09 01:51 PM
    If my app memory keeps on going down,is there going to be anything bad that will happen to my stuff on the blackberry? So i should call my service provider to unlock my phone? How will that help the leaks?
    10-22-09 02:07 PM
    If my app memory keeps on going down,is there going to be anything bad that will happen to my stuff on the blackberry? So i should call my service provider to unlock my phone? How will that help the leaks?
    LOL... it won't.
    Something is wrong... Maybe you should reinstall the OS.
    10-22-09 09:17 PM
    hmm yea that's what i thought with the unlocking too...so i wiped my blackberry and reinstalled a new os, and now the app memory after battery pull ia at 22.5, then it went down to 20.5mb after it scanned the media, went down to 18 mb then went up again to 19 mb, is it normal for the app mem to go up and down like that?
    Last edited by babekk; 10-23-09 at 03:37 PM. Reason: wiped my bold with BB SAK successfully
    10-22-09 10:27 PM
    Same here on 4.6 systems I was at 54152364 Bytes after a batt pull and sisnt go past 50xxxxxx. FaceBook, Yahoo Messenger, BBM. Don't know if you count Docs to go and the other things with it.
    On the 5.0.0.238 I start at 37762518 and I have to do 2 to 3 batt pulls a day if I use the web a lot. It goes to 12xxxxxx. I have only one theme in it and I clear my e-mail after I look at it. I clear my history, cookies, cache

10-22-09 10:48 PM
    Do you guys have any apps that constantly (or at intervals) download stuff of internet?
    10-23-09 05:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD