My point was you were bashing people for keeping an eye on their active memory and brand them obsessive compulsive. But if you knew anything about the technology industry and the people that are in it you would know that there are people all over the world that tear into stuff like this. We don't do it for money, fame, or OSD (as some who don't know any better would say). We do it for the love of knowledge, a better understanding of how things work, and sometimes if we're lucky we'll find ways to improve upon them all on our own. There's no crime there and does not make anyone less of a person.

Don't sit here and talk up all my any time minutes about your lame childhood jobs and how your manager was a nice boy with kind eyes that has nothing to do with any reason you posted on this thread originally. And don't try to explain what you clearly do not understand.

If I'm wrong, someone other than this clown step up and tell me so.
    I agree with you 110% but that is not why it is done on here...lol.
    03-11-09 11:40 AM
    So I moonlight as a UNIX systems administrator. I just noticed that ALL of my servers have < 1 MB of free memory. Do I need to do a battery pull on all of them?

Seriously folks - memory is there to be used. The reason it goes down from the time the phone first boots up is because things get loaded into memory. Most people report that they have, let's say, 48 MB when they first boot up, and then it drops and stabilizes around 32 MB. Guess what folks - that's the full OS loaded into memory, including the landscape version of things, context menus, icon layouts for folders, etc. Over time, when you use apps, they too get loaded into memory. When you close them, they may not be removed right away. The JVM knows what it's doing - don't pull the battery until you get the hourglass a lot, and if that does happen, evaluate the apps you're running. I ran .109 since the day I loaded it until last night with 1 reboot because I removed an app.
    Now see, logical thinking is not allowed on here
    03-11-09 11:42 AM
    I agree with you 110% but that is not why it is done on here...lol.
    haha oh boy you can say that again.
    03-11-09 12:14 PM
    Rebooting the system is only recommended when performance starts to suffer or you're afraid of losing your data. Either way i keep an eye on mine. Bad habit from the pearl days. lol
    03-11-09 12:19 PM
    Just wanted to follow up with my post from yesterday.

no leak yet, I woke to 45.5mb Did a few things, checked my weatherbug, few calls, txts, etc. Went down to 42.3mb, nothing serious at all. And for those who are concerned, a simple memory cleaner got me back up to 45.6mb.

Seeing a lot of negitives about .114 being posted, so I'm skeptical. It's running great now, but we'll see how great it is a week from now.
    03-11-09 12:53 PM
    My point was you were bashing people for keeping an eye on their active memory and brand them obsessive compulsive.
    I wasn't "bashing" anyone.

But if you knew anything about the technology industry and the people that are in it you would know that there are people all over the world that tear into stuff like this. We don't do it for money, fame, or OSD (as some who don't know any better would say). We do it for the love of knowledge, a better understanding of how things work, and sometimes if we're lucky we'll find ways to improve upon them all on our own. There's no crime there and does not make anyone less of a person.
    I am actually one of those people, but this is far from an example of what you describe.

I was using Linux way back in 1995-1996, long before it became "popular". I started out on Slackware, and eventually made my way to Gentoo for quite some time. This was long before Gentoo had a graphical installer, and you had to set up a chrooted environment to install it from the command line. I created my own BASH script once upon a time that would grab the latest CVS source for KDE, compile it with the compiler flags I wanted, and then compile and install it where I specified. I even got quite good at interpreting GCC error messages and fixing up the code to get something to compile.

You'd probably be hard pressed to beat me when it comes to the love of tearing things apart. I haven't dusted it off in a while, but I monkey around with custom firmwares on my PSP. I alternate between Windows and Linux on my home system, based on what I feel like using at the time, and I use a Mac laptop on occasion. I use my Xbox (the original) game console as a media hub hooked up to my Dell 2709W monitor.

I have my GameCube, PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360 all hooked up to my 2709W and my Onkyo home theater system via a source selector using component video cables and optical SPDIF audio. My Logitech Harmony remote is set to automatically switch inputs for me at the press of a button.

I only got my first cell phone right about a year ago exactly. I went from knowing next to nothing about cell phones to being a pretty prolific contributor here. I may not know as much as the likes of Civic, Crucial, Radio, Sith, etc, but I don't see it as anything more than a statement of fact that I have already surpassed the majority of users here.

Don't sit here and talk up all my any time minutes about your lame childhood jobs and how your manager was a nice boy with kind eyes that has nothing to do with any reason you posted on this thread originally.
    Then don't ask. Just for the fun of it, I went and included a whole bunch of extra info.

And don't try to explain what you clearly do not understand.
    I understand probably better than you would imagine.

If I'm wrong, someone other than this clown step up and tell me so.
    I'll just go ahead and say you're wrong, and that you're not going to get a different answer (correct answer anyway) from anyone else. Sure, they might put it in a way that makes it sound like you're less of a moron, but I don't usually feel like wasting that kind of time or exerting that kind of effort.
    03-11-09 01:35 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD