First time posting here. I am hoping the crackberry community can help me find an application that can limit access to various BB apps based on time of day much like parental controls in Vista/Win 7.

My wife and I both have BBs for our respective jobs and both of us take our BBs everywhere. I am able to mentally disconnect myself after work hours and only use my BB for personal needs even though I get tons of work emails through out the evening and weekends. Unfortunately, my wife isn't able to do the same and ends up looking at her work email as soon as the light flashes! She really tries hard to not look at it and really doesnt want to be the urge is too strong. Silly little things like looking at her work emails first thing when she wakes up...its not like anything will change between the time she opens her eyes till the time she is at her desk yet she looks at it and more times than not, she will see some email that causes her to stress or start worrying even though she wont take action until later. The point is that she doesnt want to look but just doesnt have that will power to not. Hence, I am hoping that an app exists that can pause access to work email during certain hours.

If not, I really think such an app would be useful for many people who can't resist the urge. Thinking something simple where you set "work hours" and work emails outside of those hours dont cause the BB to flash or indicate new messages. Heck, something even cooler would be having to type a long sentence to even open the work email portion outside of those hours forcing you to really want to open that email.

I have quite a few friends who suggested buying another phone and moving the SIM outside of work and on weekends but that seems silly and inconvenient. Hopefully the crackberry community can solve this one
    01-30-10 07:40 PM
    someone was looking for a app like this for there kid to control the bb during school hours but I dont think they found anything and I dont think the app exists
    01-30-10 08:09 PM
    There's a option in your Blackberry's options to it off and turn it back on at certain times, use that.

Think its called, "Auto on/off"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-10 08:27 PM
    You could try simply turning the BB data services off after work hours are done. This would prevent her BB from receiving her email until she turned her data back on.

01-30-10 08:52 PM
    I haven't seen an app like that or my wife would have tried to purchase for me already. Maybe try turning off led but she will still check. It's an addiction, this is Crackberry.
    01-30-10 08:55 PM
    Thanks for the ideas but I think you are missing the key point - ability to still use her blackberry for personal calls, emails, browsing, etc but not being tempted to check her work email by the light flashing or message indicator going up in count.

Auto on/off - this would limit full use of blackberry during non work hours.

Turning off data services - this is not bad idea as she would still have access to the phone but she would lose all data including apps like gmail and browser
    01-31-10 02:06 PM
    The other thing to do is create an "after-work" profile, then have work-related notifications turned off in that profile. That will stop the sound, virbations, and LED notifications for the speficied e-mail account (the icon will still show new messages have arrived, though). All other personal e-mail accounts will still make notifications, and things like web and other data-based services will stay on.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    01-31-10 03:32 PM
    Yeah creating a new profile would be the easiest and cheapest solution.

01-31-10 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD