Hey

I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that can set the hardware buttons to launch different apps with, 1 click, 2 clicks, press and hold of hardware buttons.

On my wimo phone there is an app called aebutton plus. Is there a similar for blackberry?

Thanks in advance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 09:21 PM
    Yes there is forgot the name, but most of us use Quicklaunch.
    07-24-09 09:23 PM
    Yeah I thought I saw one too but couldn't find it in a search. I have quick launch too but still would like to be able to use the hardware keys to launch more apps.

Thanks

07-24-09 09:53 PM
    Think its ShortcutMe

07-24-09 11:04 PM
    Hey

I was wondering if anyone knew of an app that can set the hardware buttons to launch different apps with, 1 click, 2 clicks, press and hold of hardware buttons.

On my wimo phone there is an app called aebutton plus. Is there a similar for blackberry?

Thanks in advance

ShortcutMe allows you to assign 6 application or tasks to your BBs convenience keys (i. e. double click right conv key to toggle bluetooth, triple click the same key to toggle radio(GSM, Edge, etc), click it 4 times to check 5 days forecast for several cities. And 3 more apps for the left conv. key)

You can also create your own shortcuts to launch whatever you want. For example you can set it like this:
    Conv. Key + S (check stock market)
    Conv. Key + U + E (Utility. Eventlog)
    Conv. key + W + C (Web. CrackBerry)
    Conv. Key + W + W + N (Web. Wap. News)
    Conv. Key + E + S (Email. Sandy)

A keypad is shown as soon as the Conv. key is clicked so that you can start typing right away.

Link to the fully functional trial version is in my signature.
    07-25-09 06:08 AM
    Thanks am testing shortcut me now. Not bad. Too bad you need to press the convenience key first. It would be great if you could set the letter keys to launch apps without pressing the conv key first. Like press and hold "m" for mail or something like that.

But its a cool app. Thanks for the info. Appreciate iit.

07-25-09 03:28 PM
    Thanks am testing shortcut me now. Not bad. Too bad you need to press the convenience key first. It would be great if you could set the letter keys to launch apps without pressing the conv key first. Like press and hold "m" for mail or something like that.

But its a cool app. Thanks for the info. Appreciate iit.

I wish it was possible to do that in a 3rd party application.
    However, the message about you holding a key on the keypad is sent to the application that is on front (i.e. BB Home Screen or any other application that is running with its UI shown on screen).
    Only if that application is not "consuming" the message, other applications can "see" you holding the key. And usually all applications "consume" keypad messages.

Therefore you need the conv. key to bring up your shortcut listener.
    07-25-09 04:05 PM
    Yeah I thought I saw one too but couldn't find it in a search. I have quick launch too but still would like to be able to use the hardware keys to launch more apps.

Thanks

You can do this in ver 2.x of Quicklaunch too.
    07-26-09 10:56 PM
    You can do this in ver 2.x of Quicklaunch too.
    Not quite the same, is it?

What shortcuts do you set in QL 2.x for "Email P", "Email X" and "Email Y"?
    In ShortcutMe you set them to E P, E X, E Y.

What shortcut do you set in QL 2.x for "Device info" and in Utility category?
    In ShortcutMe you set it to U D
    07-27-09 11:58 AM
    Not quite the same, is it?

What shortcuts do you set in QL 2.x for "Email P", "Email X" and "Email Y"?
    In ShortcutMe you set them to E P, E X, E Y.

What shortcut do you set in QL 2.x for "Device info" and in Utility category?
    In ShortcutMe you set it to U D
    Well, you see they are user defined, so any you want...
    Personally I have in the order you asked:

For email:
    Right conv key P, Right conv key X, Right conv key Y (as per your example).

For Device info I have:
    Right conv key D

Not sure what you mean about the utility Q???
    Hope this helps ;-)

07-27-09 12:39 PM

For email:

For Device info I have:
    Right conv key D

Hope this helps ;-)

Of course you could use the Left conv key of QL icon and can choose whichever hard key as the shortcut..

07-27-09 12:40 PM

For email:

For Device info I have:
    Right conv key D

Hope this helps ;-)

Even if you did not have friends with names starting with the same character (X, P, Y) then, yes, you have a shortcut for emailing each of them.

BUT, what if you want to have a shortcut for calling them? SMS'ing them?
    And what if your friends name are Joe, Jonathan and Jennifer? What shortcuts can you have for emailing them?

Do you see that your shortcut app (2.x) becomes useless.

Limitation of having only one char for shortcut makes QL 2.x useless in cases mentioned above.

ShortcutMe does not have these kind of problems.
    07-28-09 09:16 AM
    Even if you did not have friends with names starting with the same character (X, P, Y) then, yes, you have a shortcut for emailing each of them.

BUT, what if you want to have a shortcut for calling them? SMS'ing them?
    And what if your friends name are Joe, Jonathan and Jennifer? What shortcuts can you have for emailing them?

Do you see that your shortcut app (2.x) becomes useless.

Limitation of having only one char for shortcut makes QL 2.x useless in cases mentioned above.

ShortcutMe does not have these kind of problems.
    Ha ha, yeah useless as you call it.

You can assign any hard key you like or will remember...

Oh yeah, that is only one way amongst a few that you can actually launch the app/command using QL.

Out of curiosity can I ask what you do with SCM if your friends names are Joe, Jonathan and Jennifer?
    What shortcuts can you have for emailing all of them, to put it in your words... Will they not be all E J by your logic? Yes, I see two characters make all the difference... :-)

07-28-09 09:50 AM

Oh yeah, that is only one way amongst a few that you can actually launch the app/command using QL.

Out of curiosity can I ask what you do with SCM if your friends names are Joe, Jonathan and Jennifer?
    What shortcuts can you have for emailing all of them, to put it in your words... Will they not be all E J by your logic? Yes, I see two characters make all the difference... :-)

You can also set 3 key combos with SCM. So to answer your question you could set E J O for Joe, E J N for Jonathan and E J F for Jennifer.

I use ShortcutMe and I can honestly say it's one of the top 3 apps I have. It's definitely the most used, as I access all other apps through it.

What's wrong with hitting the convenience button first? Isn't called the convenience button??? In less than 1 second I can get to any app or command. I don't really see how you can argue with that.
    07-28-09 10:43 AM
    You can also set 3 key combos with SCM. So to answer your question you could set E J O for Joe, E J N for Jonathan and E J F for Jennifer.

I use ShortcutMe and I can honestly say it's one of the top 3 apps I have. It's definitely the most used, as I access all other apps through it.

What's wrong with hitting the convenience button first? Isn't called the convenience button??? In less than 1 second I can get to any app or command. I don't really see how you can argue with that.
    Thanks for the answer that's great.

Nothing wrong with the conv key, I use it for QL and I too can access my apps in a second.

Er and I'm not arguing about anything at all.

For some reason (well let's be honest because I use a competitors app) I'm being accused of putting SCM down when in fact all I did was agree with another poster who said himself that his very detailed description of SCM sounded like an ad. It did!!

It actually seems to me that it is SCM that's trying to score points over QL rather than the other way round - what did you call it aslak? Useless?? Lol.

07-28-09 11:56 AM

Example of shortcuts in ShortcutMe:

Email Joe: E J O
    Email Jennifer: E J E
    Call Joe: C J O
    Call Jennifer: C J E
    Calendar: C A
    Calendar_Weekview: C A W
    Calendar_Dayview: C A D
    Util. Device Info: U D
    Util. Memory Cleaner: U M
    Manage Connection: M C
    Media Explorer: M E
    Media Videos: M V
    Media Pictures: M P

And, as you type in the first char, the list gets sorted to show you your available shortcuts after the first char!

QL: ?
    Be quiet about it's failing shortcut feature. Instead ask people buying it, so by the time they find out that it is not a proper shortcut application, it is too late (they already have bought it, because no trial is available!)

Download the free trial of ShortcutMe and find out how a shortcut application should be!
    07-28-09 04:14 PM
    Example of shortcuts in ShortcutMe:

Email Joe: E J O
    Email Jennifer: E J E
    Call Joe: C J O
    Call Jennifer: C J E
    Calendar: C A
    Calendar_Weekview: C A W
    Calendar_Dayview: C A D
    Util. Device Info: U D
    Util. Memory Cleaner: U M
    Manage Connection: M C
    Media Explorer: M E
    Media Videos: M V
    Media Pictures: M P

And, as you type in the first char, the list gets sorted to show you your available shortcuts after the first char!

QL: ?
    Be quiet about it's failing shortcut feature. Instead ask people buying it, so by the time they find out that it is not a proper shortcut application, it is too late (they already have bought it, because no trial is available!)

Download the free trial of ShortcutMe and find out how a shortcut application should be!
    Yeah, someone already answered that one.

Maybe multiple hard keys do allow more logical hard key shortcuts, however - as you well know - this is only one of the ways to launch QL and apps/commands within QL, there are others depending on the configuration.

Secondly don't tell me or anyone to be quiet about anything, it's rude and makes you look petty (add that to the list).

Thirdly, why is all of this directed towards me? I simply answered a question posted at the begining of the thread.
    In the other thread that you are trying to make a point in I merely agrred with an amusing comment made by the OP... There have been others who have stated right out that SCM sucks and I don't see any response to those posts??

Fourthly :-) out of all the threads mentioning QL how many people don't like it? In fact the opposite is true 99% of posters say that it is amazing, the app they use most, thay couldn't live without it and that it should have been part of the RIM OS from the start... Not really what you expect to hear about a "useless" app and it's "failing" features is it?

And lastly - how many copies of SCM have you sold compared to QL - out of curiosity?
    What position is it in the various app stores charts (as it were)??
    Hmmm?

Oh, and just before I forget, why do you think I have anything against SCM or it's developers?? I'd still like to know as you've been sidestepping that one for a number of posts across a couple of threads for a while now...?

:-)

07-28-09 05:52 PM
    Of course, this thread would come AFTER I bought Quicklaunch over ShortcutMe!

What started out as a simple explanation of what is available for shortcuts, sure turned into a heated debate of why ShortcutMe is supposedly better than Quicklaunch.

What sold me on Quicklaunch was when the developer mentioned in another thread that QL was a Top 10 app and SCM wasn't even in the Top 100. If it is such a great app, why isn't ShortcutMe at least in the Top 50 right along with Quicklaunch?

I get how sales numbers can be skewed in a variety of ways. Perhaps ShortcutMe is new and Quicklaunch has been around a lot longer. But what got my attention on QL was how the developer could stand behind an upfront purchase with no trial period & encourage doubters to try the competition, because he was confident his product was a winner. And customer after customer backed him up!

Does that mean that Quicklaunch is better than ShortcutMe?

I think the Quicklaunch developer figured that people looking for a shortcut don’t want to spend all their time programming their phone. They want a quick and easy way to get to their favorite sites, email, phone, and apps. ShortcutMe is about shortcuts, period. 2 clicks of the right convenience keys here, 3 clicks of the left convenience key, 2 letters there and 3 more letters to spare, sounds a lot like programming. I don’t want to program. I just want a faster way to bring up my favorite BB activities. If you like to program, then you’ll probably like ShortcutMe. If you want quick and easy, go with Quicklaunch.
    08-01-09 05:34 AM

What started out as a simple explanation of what is available for shortcuts, sure turned into a heated debate of why ShortcutMe is supposedly better than Quicklaunch.

What sold me on Quicklaunch was when the developer mentioned in another thread that QL was a Top 10 app and SCM wasn't even in the Top 100. If it is such a great app, why isn't ShortcutMe at least in the Top 50 right along with Quicklaunch?

I get how sales numbers can be skewed in a variety of ways. Perhaps ShortcutMe is new and Quicklaunch has been around a lot longer. But what got my attention on QL was how the developer could stand behind an upfront purchase with no trial period & encourage doubters to try the competition, because he was confident his product was a winner. And customer after customer backed him up!

I think the Quicklaunch developer figured that people looking for a shortcut don’t want to spend all their time programming their phone. They want a quick and easy way to get to their favorite sites, email, phone, and apps. ShortcutMe is about shortcuts, period. 2 clicks of the right convenience keys here, 3 clicks of the left convenience key, 2 letters there and 3 more letters to spare, sounds a lot like programming. I don’t want to program. I just want a faster way to bring up my favorite BB activities. If you like to program, then you’ll probably like ShortcutMe. If you want quick and easy, go with Quicklaunch.
    Very nicely put...

08-01-09 06:48 AM

I think the Quicklaunch developer figured that people looking for a shortcut don�t want to spend all their time programming their phone. They want a quick and easy way to get to their favorite sites, email, phone, and apps. ShortcutMe is about shortcuts, period. 2 clicks of the right convenience keys here, 3 clicks of the left convenience key, 2 letters there and 3 more letters to spare, sounds a lot like programming. I don�t want to program. I just want a faster way to bring up my favorite BB activities. If you like to program, then you�ll probably like ShortcutMe. If you want quick and easy, go with Quicklaunch.
    Very good, but this is a comparison by someone who very clearly doesn't know one out of the two programs he compares!

ShortcutMe is not about programming. Creating a shortcut in shortcutMe is as easy as QuickLaunch, but what makes ShortcutMe superior is that ShortcutMe let's users access their shortcuts faster and in a more intuitive way.

ShortcutMe Faster:
    By the time QuickLaunch user navigates through menus, folders and subfolders with trackball rolling and clicking, a ShortcutMe user has already launched the shortcut and is well ahead of the QL user.
    And that is because of the ShortcutMe's multiclick feature and the combination of the multi character shortcuts with a dynamic shortcut list.

ShortcutMe's shortcuts are intuitive:
    Up to 3 chars can be set for a shortcut in ShortcutMe. That makes it easy for the user to choose a intuitive shortcut.

QL allows only one key to be chosen for shortcut. And this forces users to choose not intuitive and difficult to remember shortcuts. It is like BlackBerrys own shortcuts:
    C for Compose
    L for Calendar
    U for Calculator

ShortcutMe does have complex shortcuts for some of it's novel and unique features (i.e. BT toggle, Airplane Mode, etc), but those are for tasks that are not possible to do with BlackBerry API.

For example toggling bluetooth which only ShotcutMe can do and QuickLaunch can't, has embedded examples and info, which makes it easier for users to use the features no one else has.

The other thing to compare: Weather

ShortcutMe shows current condition, image of the weather condition and 5 days forecast.
    Quick Launch shows only low and high temp for your city. In most cases it is useless: 20 is the temp in Florida for QL user. But is it raining? Is it sunny? Is a tornado passing the city?
    08-01-09 08:13 AM
    Quick Launch shows only low and high temp for your city. In most cases it is useless: 20 is the temp in Florida for QL user. But is it raining? Is it sunny? Is a tornado passing the city?
    ^lol @ tornado passing the city... sorry that made me laugh...

Personally I haven't tried Quicklaunch, but I'm currently using ShortcutMe and I love it. Offers so many ways to setup shortcuts on your phone as aslak as pointed out. Also if there is a tornado passing the city.. my blackberry will be the first to know!
    08-01-09 08:23 AM
    ^lol @ tornado passing the city... sorry that made me laugh...

Personally I haven't tried Quicklaunch, but I'm currently using ShortcutMe and I love it. Offers so many ways to setup shortcuts on your phone as aslak as pointed out. Also if there is a tornado passing the city.. my blackberry will be the first to know!
    lol.
    +ten char
    08-01-09 01:27 PM
    I downloaded a trial of ShortcutMe to see what all the Aslak hype is about. I think I had 10 shortcuts set up in Quicklaunch in the time it took me to figure out how to set up ONE shortcut in ShortcutMe! No programming right?!

I am going to add a bunch of different shortcuts on both programs and see what which works best for me. I'll give an update later in day. At the moment, I think Quicklaunch is way easier to use, but unlike Aslak, I'll be fair to competition and check it out.

Oh, and for the record, I have used Accuweather, Weather Channel, Yahoo Weather, Weather Underground, Weatherbug and have gotten completely different forcasts for my area in every one of them. So, take your weather forcasts with a grain of salt.
    08-02-09 03:33 AM
    Very nicely put...

Thank You!
    08-02-09 03:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD