My Storm's battery lasts around 3 hours if I'm listening to music and browsing the web and even when I'm not, it does drain really quickly and it appears there's lots of other people with the same issue. The Storm's my first BB btw.

I'd like to suggest creating an app which upon running, will switch off the GPS, maybe make phone 2G only (does this save battery?), switch off bluetooth etc. I'm not an expert but basically it will switch off some features which are heavy on battery consumption.

The user will be able to customize what the app does (e.g. if you don't want the phone to enter 2G mode, you'd leave a checkbox unchecked in the App settings).

The idea is that the app would be assigned to one of the customizable keys, so as soon as you've pressed the key the phone will save battery usage and you'd press it again to bring back all services.

Any ideas and thoughts on feasibility?
    Last edited by .blue; 03-09-09 at 04:41 AM.
    03-09-09 04:14 AM
    I would def. buy it.
    03-09-09 04:18 AM
    sounds like a cool idea. the app could have it go into savings mode after certain amount of idle time. i dont know if a program can do all this, but its def. a cool idea.
    03-09-09 04:55 AM
    Yeah, I liked the idea a lot.
    It really helps. I hope someone would consider making a such app.
    03-09-09 04:58 AM
    My Storm's battery lasts around 3 hours if I'm listening to music and browsing the web and even when I'm not, it does drain really quickly and it appears there's lots of other people with the same issue. The Storm's my first BB btw.

I'd like to suggest creating an app which upon running, will switch off the GPS, maybe make phone 2G only (does this save battery?), switch off bluetooth etc. I'm not an expert but basically it will switch off some features which are heavy on battery consumption.

The user will be able to customize what the app does (e.g. if you don't want the phone to enter 2G mode, you'd leave a checkbox unchecked in the App settings).

The idea is that the app would be assigned to one of the customizable keys, so as soon as you've pressed the key the phone will save battery usage and you'd press it again to bring back all services.

Any ideas and thoughts on feasibility?
    I used to have this app on my old (sh*t) Google G1. It was amazing. You could set it to %. So if the battery got to 50% it would turn bluetooth off and cut back on background processors/ dim the light etc. 25% would turn off 3g to 2g etc. Would have like 5 different Profiles you could select. Was good.

Also it notified you when the status of the battery changed.

Is this were you got the idea from. Good idea i'd buy it.

~Joe
    03-09-09 06:02 AM
    Sounds to me like there's a lot of faulty batteries out there my phone from a full charge with minimal use lasts for days and from a full charge with heavy litteraly constant use of internet IM and media takes around 12 hours to kill. Or did you guys not charge the battery for 16 hours straight out of the box like your supposed to?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 07:00 AM
    yes yes i would buy this.....
    03-09-09 08:06 AM
    Honestly I had the same problem to with my battery. Then I upgraded from 75 to 109 and I haven't changed the amount I use it or anything and it went from lasting a few hours with 75 to nearly two days with 109. So maybe a software upgrade would fix your problems. A lot of people I see with battery problems run 75. I hope this helps.
    03-09-09 08:24 AM
    go to software store...personal productivity, "battery booster"
    03-09-09 08:27 AM
    Your battery should last longer than 3 hrs. But there is a battery saving app out already
    03-09-09 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD