is something you can set for a certain time (say 3am.) and at that time it will automatically restart your blackberry kind of like softreset, so you can set it for while you sleep so you dont really have to worry about memory and losing messages and call logs. maybe set it for multiple times too? that would be sweet!

Rob
    06-10-08 03:49 PM
    i dont know about an app i know that there is the softreset app but that you have to manually do it. however if you want a reboot while your sleeping you can go under: options> Auto On/Off>then from there click enable and set the time at which you want it to power off and back on. for example i have mine set to power off at 3:59 am and turn back on at 4:00am. and you can set different times. (ie the weekdays can be one time, and the weekends can be different.) this is what i do to help prevent the memory leak and has worked so far! hope this helps!
    06-10-08 03:55 PM
    Not only does this already exist, it is built into the BB OS. See the link below.

BlackBerry 101: Lecture 17: Using Auto On / Off | CrackBerry.com
    06-10-08 04:01 PM
    I am fully aware of this function, but I always thought that shutting the blackberry off and turning it on is not the same? After all, why bother even having softreset if it is the same function? to me it seemed like shutting the bb off is just like putting it into sleep mode. Surely there's a difference or softreset or battery pulls would be non existent...and sunkast, you are an advocate for battery pulls...right?

Rob
    06-10-08 04:10 PM
    I am fully aware of this function, but I always thought that shutting the blackberry off and turning it on is not the same? After all, why bother even having softreset if it is the same function?
    Soft-reset was really designed for those whose Berry does not have the ALT-CAP-DEL reset capability, which is a bit like pushing reset on your desktop.

Battery pulls are over recommended out of convienence to the person offering help. You really should only have to do one if the JVM locks up, or powering down and back up does not clear the problem.

to me it seemed like shutting the bb off is just like putting it into sleep mode. Surely there's a difference or softreset or battery pulls would be non existent...and sunkast, you are an advocate for battery pulls...right?
    A battery pull removes all power from some persistent RAM and gives you a totally cold boot. However, you should not under normal circumstances have to do this, unless you cannot soft-reset, a soft-reset does not clear the condition AND you cannot power down, or powering down does not clear the condition.

Removing the battery during a write operation (like when the system is putting on new software) can result in memory corruption (JVM 200), and the need to reinstall the OS.

You may find that doing it is simple faster than doing all the above, which is why most do it, especially if they have seen the condition before and other methods have failed to clear it.

Honestly, I can count on one hand how many times I've actually had to do one.
    06-10-08 09:49 PM
    thanks patrick, but you never mentioned whether just selecting "turn off phone" does the same thing as a soft reset or battery pull, as sunkast suggested.
    06-11-08 09:27 AM
    So doing a soft reset clears out cookies, cache, and the like?

Ah, very handy.
    06-11-08 12:36 PM
    just to bring back an old thought patrick, how do you recoup lost memory if you dont do a reset? does alt caps delete the same in terms of regaining memory as a battery pull?

Thanks
    Rob
    07-20-08 11:40 PM
    just to bring back an old thought patrick, how do you recoup lost memory if you dont do a reset? does alt caps delete the same in terms of regaining memory as a battery pull?
    Not to attempt to speak for Patrick but I believe it is his position that resets aren't really ever necessary. Your BB will automatically recycle junk in the memory as it needs to and gets around to it. Patrick's position is also that the memory available statistics in your settings screen are really not reflective of the real memory that you have available.

Again, I'm not trying to speak for him. Just read another thread where he contributed quite a bit on this subject. You might want to query his recent posts and see if you can find the thread on this or pvt him and ask him for the link to it.
    07-21-08 04:35 AM

Thanks
    Rob
    Since my BB is locked inside an Otterbox, battery pulls are not easy to accomplish. So I either use the Soft Reset program or I do Alt-caps-del BUT I find that doing alt-caps-del only ONCE does not fully free up memory. So, I do it a second time, immediately as the screen comes back on (plain white screen), I again do it and that works like a battery pull - TWICE.
    07-21-08 08:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD