Hi,

Can anyone recommend a program that will handle excel files? Preferrably a free one.

I did a quick google search and came across a program called:
    "MiniExcel for BlackBerry (Read/Write Excel) 3.3.0.199" Though I am not sure how good it is.

Thanks!
    08-20-08 08:01 AM
    Actually, the program I mentioned is actually Grid Magic which appears to be the standard and also the only one I found. I will give that a go as it has gotten good reviews.

Thank you.
    08-20-08 08:17 AM
    I have used the Free (Community edition) of Gridmagic and it does work. Frankly, trying to do much editing on the BB is not all that easy but it can be done. Small keys and small screen and small fonts (or very limited view if larger fonts) makes it somewhat hard.

You can send spreadsheets via email and then open them. Unfortunately, you cannot save them to an SD media card.
    08-20-08 11:09 AM
    I installed this app yesterday via the desktop manager (verison 4.2) and after I transferred it to my curve, the desktop manager stopped working. I uninstalled it and will reinstall but am debating whether or not to reinstall version 4.2, 4.5 or 4.6.
    08-21-08 08:39 AM
    It's usually preferable to use the latest Desktop Manager, unless you are using Outlook 2000, which won't work with the newer Desktop Managers. I am using Desktop Manager 4.5. The last time I looked, that was the latest version on the Verizon site, so I haven't used 4.6 yet.
    08-21-08 09:48 AM
    If I upgrade, will that upgrade the software on the device itself? And are there any complications arising from this? I am pretty new to the blackberry and would rather not get myself in too deep just yet.
    08-21-08 10:01 AM
    Upgrading Desktop Manager won't affect anything on your device. To do that, you upgrade your device operating system. There are procedures that will walk you through upgrading your OS, but you don't have to do it, and you shouldn't until you are more familiar with your device.

Installing Desktop Manager 4.5 shouldn't cause you any problems, as long as you are not synching to Outlook 2000.
    08-21-08 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD