Hey all, my battery was killed hardcore today in a short amount of time, and I got to thinking "I close all my apps, but I'm sure a day will come around where I minimize it by exiting the app but not closing it for good". Are there any applications to close all apps that currently exist? I dont see any on the sticky or the searches I've done.
    12-31-08 12:21 AM
    Majority of battery is chewed on display and radio, not bg apps.
    12-31-08 12:34 AM
    Majority of battery is chewed on display and radio, not bg apps.
    Noobish question, but what is the "radio" thats oft talked about on the Storm? And I realize that the display chews up a lot of battery, but leaving something on such as the browser or a music player can really drain the battery.
    12-31-08 12:37 AM
    the radio is the mobile network on the phone like your signal and all that
    12-31-08 12:44 AM
    Well in that case, I havent been in any no-service zones at all today & my battery is still shot for today. Does any such full app-closing program exist?
    12-31-08 12:59 AM
    Noobish question, but what is the "radio" thats oft talked about on the Storm? And I realize that the display chews up a lot of battery, but leaving something on such as the browser or a music player can really drain the battery.
    The Browser always runs, even when you close it, it will restart.

Any RF, ie phone calls, data connections and blue tooth will drain the battery.

If the music player isn't playing it will be chewing hardly any battery.
    12-31-08 03:40 AM
    Well in that case, I havent been in any no-service zones at all today & my battery is still shot for today. Does any such full app-closing program exist?
    From the home screen, if you bring up the keyboard, hold the "!?123" key down for a couple of secs, then press the following keys, no spaces:

! , " "

This will show the signal in decibels instead of bars, if your signal drops below or even stays about -90dBm this will drain your battery as your phone compensates for low signal.
    12-31-08 03:44 AM
    12-31-08 03:51 AM
    To answer your original question - I believe the answer is no. I'm sure some developer out there could build one though...
    12-31-08 06:11 AM
    An app like this doesn't exist yet ... it would be great if you could set one of the convenience keys to exit the program but a hack has not been made for that yet either.

Your best bet is just to get in the habit of exiting programs when you are finished using them instead of just going back to the home screen.

Having programs open doesn't really drain battery, it does slow the phone down though.

I'm hoping that in the future, the OS will allow you to set either Single Task or Multi Task mode, meaning that you can choose whether going back to the home screen automatically exits a program or just moves it to the background. One reason iPhone is so fast is that it doesn't allow the kind of multi-tasking that Storm does. People have really underplayed Storm's ability to multitask.
    Last edited by mdude85; 12-31-08 at 07:52 AM.
    12-31-08 07:50 AM
    i closed all apps on my storm and put it in bedside mode with a full charge.
    when i woke up,to my surprise .my battery was dead.
    any thoughts on this?
    im currently running .85
    12-31-08 11:51 AM
    any thoughts on this?
    im currently running .85
    Possible weak signal, your phone was searching all night, gave up and commit suicide.
    12-31-08 11:55 AM
    Are there any applications to close all apps that currently exist? I dont see any on the sticky or the searches I've done.
    I wish there were -- this is one thing that I find really annoying about the storm -- I hope RIM actually provides something like this in a future OS release b/c it would such a useful thing to have.

RIM, are you listening?
    12-31-08 12:33 PM
    any thoughts on this?
    im currently running .85
    Wow..really...I would get your battery checked out as even a weak signal should not drain the battery that much when you are not using the phone.
    12-31-08 03:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD