I would like to block all incoming text messages on one of my BBs, or at least block an incoming text messages from people NOT on my contact list.

I do NOT want to have to enter the person's phone number to a "blacklist" in order to block them. Also, I'd like the person sending me text messages to receive an error code stating that the person they're trying to text message (me) does not receive texts.

Whether or not I get a notification and/or can see the text message is not important.

Any apps like this exist?

I tried selecting the "Reject Anonymous text messages" in the text message options, but that only blocks people with a private/unlisted phone number...

Also, I selected the feature to block incoming text messages through the firewall feature. It allows people on my contact list to text me, however, I'd like something that could send the person a message stating the person does not receive text messages. As a sidenote, I did get an LED notification for the blocked text, which I can see becoming an annoyance.
    Last edited by jranciano; 12-14-11 at 06:08 PM.
    12-14-11 05:58 PM
    Options>security>firewall>tick sms
    12-14-11 07:45 PM
    You must've not read my entire post, but I appreciate the input...
    12-14-11 11:53 PM
    Call your carrier and enable message blocking. The sender won't get notified but you won't receive any texts. I'm sure the senders will get the hint when you're not replying eventually.

I have texts blocked on my account to save money. I sent out a mass email,posted on Facebook and Twitter to let my friends/family know I blocked texts and to use other means for contact.

I don't know your situation but that is the most reliable way to block all.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 12-15-11 at 05:29 AM.
    12-15-11 05:26 AM
    Haven't got my berry on me at the moment (visiting family have bigger needs than mine today!), but if I remember rightly, the above menu allows you to set exceptions one of which is to allow numbers included in your phone book.
    12-15-11 06:40 AM
    Call your carrier and enable message blocking. The sender won't get notified but you won't receive any texts. I'm sure the senders will get the hint when you're not replying eventually.

I have texts blocked on my account to save money. I sent out a mass email,posted on Facebook and Twitter to let my friends/family know I blocked texts and to use other means for contact.

I don't know your situation but that is the most reliable way to block all.
    thanks. ill try my carrier. mostly id like the person to receive a notification message so that way they get the hint right away.

its not that i dont want to talk to these people, i just want to talk via phone, not text. (i use this BB for business)

Haven't got my berry on me at the moment (visiting family have bigger needs than mine today!), but if I remember rightly, the above menu allows you to set exceptions one of which is to allow numbers included in your phone book.
    i did this however the sender doesnt know that i did not get the text, and that is a key feature im looking for.
    Last edited by jranciano; 12-15-11 at 11:18 AM.
    12-15-11 11:16 AM
    The way I see it, if someone really wants to contact me badly enough, and I don't answer their texts, they will pick up the phone and say wtf aren't you replying.

If they don't bother to do that, it must not have been too important to either of us!

12-15-11 01:46 PM
    I agree. Unfortunately, that's not the case in my situation.

I want them to be notified immediately so that way it helps prevent the, "Oh, I thought you got my text message about _________ . Sorry..."

Now once that happens and they find out said phone doesn't get text messages, then they're less likely to text me again the future, however if they don't get the notification then they'll forget (as most humans do).

Besides, just one "I thought you got my text" instances is one too many for me...

What it really boils down to is that I realize the fact that the information that needs to be discussed needs to be via voice and not text. The trouble is that the people who contact me don't always see it that way, and unfortunately there is always a plethora of new people coming into contact with me because of the nature of my business that I can't get that through their head early on.
    Last edited by jranciano; 12-15-11 at 07:13 PM.
    12-15-11 07:09 PM
    Contact your carrier. They can't differentiate between people who are or aren't on your contact list, but they can make it so you stop getting text messages.
    12-15-11 07:27 PM
    Contact your carrier. They can't differentiate between people who are or aren't on your contact list, but they can make it so you stop getting text messages.
    Thank you. This would be for my secondary BB so blocking EVERYONE wouldn't be a big deal.

Do you know if I block it at the carrier level the person would be notified that I don't get texts?
    12-15-11 08:37 PM
    I'm not 100% sure, but I want to say no.
    12-15-11 08:39 PM
    I had a quick look around at various SMS auto-responder apps and while some seem to come close to what you want to do, none are exact.

The closest I can think of is to get one of these auto-responders, have it set to auto-respond to all SMS's (e.g. "Text Messages may be blocked on this device, if the matter is important, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx"). Most auto-responders can be set to respond once per day per number, so if you get 10 SMS's from the same person, it will auto-respond only on the first message that day.

Then, for those people that you really do want to get SMS's from, just let them know to disregard those responses. You actually get all messages, but hopefully those that you don't want messages from will THINK you didn't get them. If you have an LED control app, set it so that there is no notification for SMS's, and then set up contact ID's for those that you do want SMS's from.

Ideally, the SMS auto responder app would allow you to have two groups: the ones you want SMS's from, and then everyone else (without specifically defining them). Then you could exclude the first group from being responded to, and send responses to everyone else. However, I don't see an app that fits those criteria.

DDM (Don't Disturb Me) can come close, you can set it to block all except contacts + a Safe Sender List (whitelist) rather than set up an ever-growing blacklist. It will send an auto response to blocked SMS's. It will be a bit of work at the beginning to add contacts that you do want sms's from but that are not in your addressbook but once done, you would just add the odd new one here and there. Also, DDM backs up to SD card so it'd be a one-time setup thing for the most part.

Here is the link on Appworld: Buy Don't Disturb Me! (DDM) - Download Don't Disturb Me! (DDM) - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

EDIT: looking closer at the settings in DDM, it comes very close to doing what you want. It does have a eval version, but you may have to get it outside of Appworld (CB store perhaps) to test before you buy, otherwise you have to pay the $4 to find out because Appworld seems to only have the paid version.

Here is the CB version http://software.crackberry.com/produ...r%20Blackberry!

That link has a $4 pricetag but talks about a trial version. You may have to hunt around a bit to find the exact link but that should point you in the general direction.
    Last edited by Klotar; 12-16-11 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added more info.
    JR A likes this.
    12-16-11 10:43 AM
    Do you know if I block it at the carrier level the person would be notified that I don't get texts?
    They won't be.

I don't think an app like the one OP wants exists. First the dev would have to come up with a good, official sounding bounce back message that doesn't use the carrier's name (for obvious reasons.) Secondly, how is this message going to be sent? Obviously it can't be sent from the users' phone with his/her number displayed. The other alternative would be a through a short code delivery system, but short codes aren't cheap to buy.

Edit: maybe I stand corrected. If anyone tries DDM, please post your experience!
    Last edited by raino; 12-16-11 at 10:55 AM.
    audio_engr likes this.
    12-16-11 10:50 AM
    I had a quick look around at various SMS auto-responder apps and while some seem to come close to what you want to do, none are exact.

The closest I can think of is to get one of these auto-responders, have it set to auto-respond to all SMS's (e.g. "Text Messages may be blocked on this device, if the matter is important, please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx"). Most auto-responders can be set to respond once per day per number, so if you get 10 SMS's from the same person, it will auto-respond only on the first message that day.

Then, for those people that you really do want to get SMS's from, just let them know to disregard those responses. You actually get all messages, but hopefully those that you don't want messages from will THINK you didn't get them. If you have an LED control app, set it so that there is no notification for SMS's, and then set up contact ID's for those that you do want SMS's from.

Ideally, the SMS auto responder app would allow you to have two groups: the ones you want SMS's from, and then everyone else (without specifically defining them). Then you could exclude the first group from being responded to, and send responses to everyone else. However, I don't see an app that fits those criteria.

DDM (Don't Disturb Me) can come close, you can set it to block all except contacts + a Safe Sender List (whitelist) rather than set up an ever-growing blacklist. It will send an auto response to blocked SMS's. It will be a bit of work at the beginning to add contacts that you do want sms's from but that are not in your addressbook but once done, you would just add the odd new one here and there. Also, DDM backs up to SD card so it'd be a one-time setup thing for the most part.

Here is the link on Appworld: Buy Don't Disturb Me! (DDM) - Download Don't Disturb Me! (DDM) - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

EDIT: looking closer at the settings in DDM, it comes very close to doing what you want. It does have a eval version, but you may have to get it outside of Appworld (CB store perhaps) to test before you buy, otherwise you have to pay the $4 to find out because Appworld seems to only have the paid version.

Here is the CB version Don't Disturb Me! (DDM) | The Ultimate SMS&Call Firewall for Blackberry! on CrackBerry App Superstore!

That link has a $4 pricetag but talks about a trial version. You may have to hunt around a bit to find the exact link but that should point you in the general direction.
    THANK YOU!

Will definitely look into these apps!
    12-17-11 08:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD