just got an email.... AOL IM by blackberry is being discontinued as of Oct 28th!

but the new AIM for Blackberry by AOL is the new AIM client.

new AIM here: Free AIM - Download AIM - Free Apps from BlackBerry App World

after 10/28, AOL IM will no longer work but AIM for Blackberry will
    10-26-11 03:40 PM
    I've already tried out the new AIM client and so far it seems really bad. It doesn't use any of my phone's automatic punctuation/capitalization which isn't so bad except I've gotten used to it while typing on my phone.

The thing that killed it for me was that it doesn't have any notifications when you receive a message. It plays its own sound but if you turn that off there's nothing else. No Blackberry tone, no vibrate settings, no LED light. It doesn't even have the red dot appearing over the icon on my home screen.

I don't know if there's an update coming to improve this thing but so far this new AIM is not worth the effort. Worst instant messenging app I've ever seen.
    10-26-11 05:26 PM
    I've already tried out the new AIM client and so far it seems really bad. It doesn't use any of my phone's automatic punctuation/capitalization which isn't so bad except I've gotten used to it while typing on my phone.

The thing that killed it for me was that it doesn't have any notifications when you receive a message. It plays its own sound but if you turn that off there's nothing else. No Blackberry tone, no vibrate settings, no LED light. It doesn't even have the red dot appearing over the icon on my home screen.

I don't know if there's an update coming to improve this thing but so far this new AIM is not worth the effort. Worst instant messenging app I've ever seen.
    I use Beejive.com. Yeah it cost $10 but it was worth it. Check it out!
    10-26-11 08:19 PM
    I got the same email so I deleted the old app and put the new one on my Bold. Agreed, it's bad. All the reasons pointed out. Here's another, BATTERY SUCKER! I've seen many posts about app's that people claimed were big battery drains and never bought into it or experienced it. Now I have.

Funny thing though, went into app world around Jan 1st and discovered that there were two AIM app's available. The new one and the old one.

Deleted the new one and put the old one back on. Still works fine. Were we bambuzzled with a false email???? Who's responsible?
    01-05-12 10:02 AM
    1991 called. They want their Instant Messaging service back.

My parents still use AOL. I can't believe it!
    anon(2254645) likes this.
    01-05-12 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD