I stumbled on this from a thread, searched for more entries about it, and found very little. It's under options>security options>memory cleaning. It's defaulted (at least on my phone) to disabled. If enabled, you have a number of additional options such as Clean When Holstered, Clean When Idle and others. Could it actually close apps that have been left open whenever you holster the Storm? I've turned mine on and will monitor and re-post here after using for a couple of days. On a fresh reboot, I have about 40 meg free...I'll keep an eye on how close it stays to that.

I was wondering if anyone is using it, if it works well and if it seems to drain the battery any faster?
    01-09-09 01:03 PM
    I use it two to four times a day depending on use. If you hit the bb button while on the mem clean you can change it to an app. Then you just have to hit it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 01:05 PM
    Nice find. Thanks!
    01-09-09 03:09 PM
    you can actually set it to do it when you holster the phone too. That's what I do.

My memory leak used to take me from 50 megs down to about 32 during the day. IN the 2 days since I turned on the memory cleaner, I haven't been lower than 45.

That to me is pgoress. And it's no intrusive. It scrubs away in the holster, so it doesn't cost me any wasted time waiting for it to do its thing. (which doesn't take more than a few seconds anyway)
    01-09-09 03:11 PM
    I think the clue is in where it's put in the menu system. It's a security application. It's designed to remove cached data that in *theory* *might* be possible to get at. That cached data might be sensitive user data you wouldn't want someone to see.

If your "memory leak" took you down to 32 (and no lower) it's not really a memory leak (which would ultimately take free memory down to zero due to a bug causing the memory leak in the first place). It's probably just cached data which the the memory cleaner purges before the OS would anyway IF it needed more memory. If you've 32 still free, the OS might not bother.

There's processor cycles and thus most likely battery drain chewed up in running the memory cleaner. If that's a good price to pay for seeing 45 instead of 32, so be it. Personally I'd rather have a fraction more battery life, as I'm not concerned by a security risk like the memory cleaner addresses.
    01-09-09 03:45 PM
    Personally I'd rather have a fraction more battery life, as I'm not concerned by a security risk like the memory cleaner addresses.
    That's a good question, how much batter life wold this consume? If I holster it and its "asleep" would the battery usage negate the savings I am getting from the holster?
    01-09-09 04:09 PM
    That's a good question, how much batter life wold this consume? If I holster it and its "asleep" would the battery usage negate the savings I am getting from the holster?
    No idea. But the cleaner seems to run and then stop when it's done. The holster savings last as long as the BB is holstered.

But having 'paid' to have the cache purged, you then probably burn a fraction more battery when you start using the application again, to re-populate the cache (temporarily, and then the cleaner wipes it out again - doh!).

Each to their own, but I really don't understand this pre-disposition to keep free memory as high as possible all the time. If it's "free" it's doing nothing useful whatsoever and is literally wasted capacity. Memory should be USED to cache data (programs/user data/whatever) to speed things up and/or save battery. The only time free memory matters is when there isn't enough free when the OS or an application needs it. In a BB, applications, emails, saved map segments, cached browser pages, etc are also stored in that memory so you need enough free for the normal cut and thrust of normal operations. But you have if you've many megabytes showing free all the time anyway...
    Last edited by wibblyw; 01-09-09 at 04:29 PM.
    01-09-09 04:20 PM
    I have been running it for over a month and have not seen any battery drain. I usually get about two days of use between charges, but I am not a heavy user. Email, phone calls, a few games, a few pics.

There have been a few posts from people who thought it was causing problems for them, but I have not seen anything to make me take it off the phone.
    01-09-09 04:57 PM
    This is a must!!! I have it set automatically as well
    01-09-09 06:00 PM
    I use it about twice a week. I get between 5 and 8 megs out of it. from about 35 to 40 or 43. It seems to work fine for what it's designed to do. It hasn't caused any issues for me.
    01-09-09 06:03 PM
    I use it all the time. It runs when I holster.

01-09-09 06:11 PM
    I run it at least once a day. Like Freeze said...I get about 5-8 megs out of it. No issues or affect on battery life.
    01-09-09 06:37 PM
    I use the cleaning app twice daily. I normally run around 37 megs at the end of a day. After running
    The app I am over 41 megs. I see no unusual battery drain.

01-09-09 06:41 PM
    if i hit memory and go to free space im at 11.4MBs
    is this bad? haha
    01-09-09 08:09 PM
    Easier to set it as an icon and then click it when you want to run it than setting it to auto on lock or idle ... might need to use the phone real quick after it starts and might be slower till its done.
    01-09-09 08:18 PM
    I too have the Memory Cleaner as an App and use occasionally. I dont get much of a difference in available memory though. I just looked and had 36.3 free, then did Memory cleaner and it went to only 37. How do you get such a difference using this app?
    01-09-09 08:36 PM
    I too have the Memory Cleaner as an App and use occasionally. I dont get much of a difference in available memory though. I just looked and had 36.3 free, then did Memory cleaner and it went to only 37. How do you get such a difference using this app?
    Look like my setting on Memory Cleaner are to run when holstered. I holster my phone very often, maybe thats why there isn't a huge difference in memory being free'd up
    01-09-09 08:39 PM
    Easier to set it as an icon and then click it when you want to run it than setting it to auto on lock or idle ... might need to use the phone real quick after it starts and might be slower till its done.
    True, but it only runs for what, 5-8 seconds? I think most of us aren't in THAT much of a hurry.
    01-09-09 08:42 PM
    BTW... I have my set to run on lock, idle, and as an app that I use when I've been active on the phone for a while
    01-09-09 08:48 PM
    Every morning I run Memory Cleaning, then I clear out my Browser Cache, then I clear the java log, THEN I reboot (batt pull or softreset). Works like a charm, and hopefully updates to the OS will eventually all but eliminate the leak.
    01-09-09 08:53 PM
    Good Stuff.... Thanks for the help.
    01-10-09 01:33 PM
    Mines setup to automatically do it when it's put into the holster. So like 100 times a day lol.
    01-10-09 01:37 PM
    40 really? i have never even seen 40 on mine. it runs on 19-20 on avg. most i have seen is 32. do i have a problem?
    01-10-09 01:40 PM
    Not as long as your happy with the way it's running. I deleted VZ NAV, Visual Voice Mail, Yahoo Msgr and from DM a buch of Asian fonts that I don't ever see myself using. That got me to 40 meg, even with a few games, Google Maps and Garmin Mobile.

Grey
    01-10-09 02:05 PM
    I generally try it before doing a battery pull. Sometimes it does help - saves waiting 27 hours for a reboot
    01-10-09 02:23 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD