Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody else has found that opera mini 5 is not very good on their 9700 or if I'm doing something wrong to make it rubbish?
    I downloaded it to my pc and from their installed it onto the 9700 using the BB desktop manager. The idea of it seems good, multiple tabs ect but with things like facebook (not the app) it still loads the mobile site like the os browser does when identifying itself as blackberry and not firefox. I've got the opera settings to mobile view off so I'm wondering why it still loads the mobile site and when I manually select the full site it won't let me post anything and randomley switches back to the mobile site. That and the fact that it caused facebook to deactivate my account yesterday as it didn't recognise the source from Norway.
    Its slow, cumbersome to use and the cursor jumps around the page instead of gliding and most sites I've viewed appear muddled up and not postioned correctly.
    Have I installed the wrong version for the 9700 or is this just how opera mini is? In which case, what is the purpose of it, is it designed to be used for a specific purpose as the os browser is seems to be far better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 10:42 AM
    one word: Junk
    05-13-10 10:52 AM
    If you read around, many many people are dissatisfied with opera mini and the cursor jump has been discussed a ton of times.
    05-13-10 10:53 AM
    Thanks guys. That's a shame, I was hoping I'd done something wrong. Never mind, deleting time again then.
    Thanks again

05-13-10 10:57 AM
    Hi,
    Just wondering if anybody else has found that opera mini 5 is not very good on their 9700 or if I'm doing something wrong to make it rubbish?
    I downloaded it to my pc and from their installed it onto the 9700 using the BB desktop manager. The idea of it seems good, multiple tabs ect but with things like facebook (not the app) it still loads the mobile site like the os browser does when identifying itself as blackberry and not firefox. I've got the opera settings to mobile view off so I'm wondering why it still loads the mobile site and when I manually select the full site it won't let me post anything and randomley switches back to the mobile site. That and the fact that it caused facebook to deactivate my account yesterday as it didn't recognise the source from Norway.
    Its slow, cumbersome to use and the cursor jumps around the page instead of gliding and most sites I've viewed appear muddled up and not postioned correctly.
    Have I installed the wrong version for the 9700 or is this just how opera mini is? In which case, what is the purpose of it, is it designed to be used for a specific purpose as the os browser is seems to be far better?

No you haven't installed the wrong version. I feel the same way you do on this new version of Opera mini, and like you, can't stand how the cursor jumps around, though I think they made it so you can scroll through long web pages faster, though I still rather the scrolling in 4.2. With that said, I much rathered the UI of the older Opera mini versions, up to the last one(4.2), as a matter of fact, the only reason I don't have 4.2 installed along with 5.0 on my 9700, is because for some reason you can't have both versions of Opera mini on the 9700. However the pros do outweigh the cons in my opinion in 5.0, such as the ability to more easily download photos off websites, and the inclusion of the Download manager for downloading audio files. I don't really use the tabs feature, but its nice to have. So in conclusion, let's just hope that the upcoming webkit browser is ALL that we are hoping it will be and MORE.
    05-13-10 11:19 AM
    To get to the full site of Facebook by using OM, this is what I do:
    - go to facebook as usual and OM will automatically link you to mobile site
    - scroll down to the mobile site and click on "touch site"
    - click on full site link and you are there.. Bookmark it!

05-13-10 11:33 AM
    actually i couldnt stand the mini 5 and went back to 4.2, dont have any issues with it
    05-13-10 12:15 PM
    Opera worked really well on my nokia s60 os, I was very disappointed to see how slow, unwieldy and basic it is for BB...........it not you lincs
    05-13-10 12:18 PM
    I think I've been living in the dark ages. Just found bolt v2 and realised that I can delete a few apps now as I can upload pics and videos and use chat on fb, not had a proper play yet but loading a few other sites it seems miles ahead of opera. Happy now

05-13-10 02:48 PM
    In my case when I was using Beta Opera5, it worked well enough and was super fast, but noticed sometimes when I would type a reply on CB or anywhere for that matter and submit it, it would go to the previous screen...and I lost my reply, month matter what I did...and I type a lot, lol! I still use it to check sites I don't reply with a message as it is much faster than the native browser and Bolt, but Bolt 2.0 is so much more stable and still a lot faster than the native BB browser...

I look forward to webkit as the BB browser does render pages a lot better, so we shall see how that pans out.

05-13-10 03:34 PM
    opera mini 5 is junk.. Its very hard to use on the Tour too.. Opera has a mind of its own what kind of websites it wants to open...
    05-13-10 03:42 PM
    actually i couldnt stand the mini 5 and went back to 4.2, dont have any issues with it
    Same here. Like the size and speed of 4.2
    05-13-10 03:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD