I have installed HanDBase for Blackberry. I have created a fairly large database to test the program. I have tried syncing but either I get no connection at all or everything hangs. Any luck out there in using this program?
    08-26-07 11:37 AM
    I just looked at this, but sorry to say it's not something I've ever used. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to assist...
    08-26-07 11:51 AM
    I have installed HanDBase for Blackberry. I have created a fairly large database to test the program. I have tried syncing but either I get no connection at all or everything hangs. Any luck out there in using this program?
    i am having the same trouble. During sync it hangs. I was able to put the handbase file on micro sd chip - but handbase can not access the file on chip. I received this response from ddh support:
    email 1:
    Thanks for your email. While some newer BlackBerry devices support external memory cards, at this time HanDBase does not support reading databases on them. We store our databases within the unique internal data store of the BlackBerry and we are looking into whether we can also support databases stored on the memory card in the future, via an updated version.
    email 2:
    Thanks for your email. Once you have converted the database on the desktop, you can open the database in HanDBase Desktop. You'll then want to select the File -> Install to Handheld menu option. In the resulting dialog, you'll want to select your Blackberry partnership that you created with HanDBase Desktop during the installation process. Next, close the database and select the Configure -> Blackberry Users menu option. In the resulting dialog, select your Blackberry partnership in the list and click the Synchronize button. This will install the database to the Blackberry.

(when i follow these steps - this is when it hangs on me)
    10-28-08 11:40 PM
    This sync problem is a huge bug in their BB version, and it completely prevented me from using HDB on my BB. They should not be charging for this version, it is not stable with larger DBs (like the ones serious users like us use). It works OK with their tiny demo DBs but still the SYNC is horrendously bad. Total nightmare. Don't bother with their email support, they are in denial. Bottom line is GIVE UP it will not work until they fix it. In contrast, their interfaces for Palm and PocketPC work just great. (PocketPC is marginally better.) I won't even tell you how many times I had to reboot laptop, BB and/or both trying to sync my DBs. They told me to export to .csv and re-import to clean up my DBs, so I tried that and it took away all my views, popups, calcs, etc (all the stuff I really NEED). And even THEN the Sync was molasses slow, would grey-out and not come back half the time, etc. So - hope you didn't buy it - I did and am waiting patiently for a refund. I just tried their PocketPC version and it works like a charm - fast, stable, unbelievable compared to BB. They should just call the BB version a Beta and give it away in hopes somebody will help them debug it. Meanwhile - watch out... my BB crashed completely TWICE and had to be re-loaded from scratch (not so easy to do), including re-activating it through my corporate IT (embarassing!) Don't let this happen to you... uninstall it now and just give up before it crashes your BB! I wasted 2-3 days of my time fighting with this and freaking--out.
    11-17-08 05:59 PM
    Hi,

This is Dave from DDH Software (the makers of HanDBase). I'm sorry to hear of the issues you're experiencing with syncing large databases over. It's true we've struggled with some databases that are large. The reality is that this is not something that happens for everyone or for every large database. During testing, we routinely test with several large databases and we wouldn't have released the program if those had given us problems.

If there are any databases you have that are giving you trouble, and if they are not of a highly personal nature, perhaps you could send them to our support team and we'll try to debug any problems with them for an update we're hoping to have out in the coming weeks.

I'm unable to post our support site due to being a newbie here, but you should be able to find it based on the program name and a .com. From there click the support option at the top. There is a live chat option during much of the business day, as well as normal email/mailform options as well. Either place would be suitable.

Once again, my apologies, and I hope we can remedy any issues you've experienced!
    12-01-08 04:40 PM
    Anyone else using this?
    12-31-08 05:06 PM
    I got it working for me. Took quite a bit of installing and uninstalling, but it does now sync decent sized (1.5MB) databases. Problem is it turns them into 13MB databases when it loads them on the phone. Have app memory to spare or leave it alone.
    08-13-09 12:57 AM
    The secret to getting HDB to sync lies in the sync instructions. Set your default database handling to "do nothing." Then, to update databases, install them one at a time. It will take a while and the PC screen will get a bit frozen, but in 5 or 10 minutes they will load. It's still imperfect and things will get messed up necesitating occasionally uninstalling and reinstalling the software to the handheld, but it is functional once up and running. Two caveats: The latest handheld versions default to "edit record" when a record in the list view is clicked with the trackball/pad. Better to use the BB menu button and select view record unless you like waiting. More importantly, DO NOT attempt to use the "quick search" function. Any database larger than a grocery list for an anorexic monovore is going to hang the device for an hour if you attempt to quick (their word) search it.

Other than that, I love it. It puts all my customer info on the BB. That's all I asked for.
    Last edited by palomartian; 06-16-10 at 10:21 AM.
    06-16-10 10:17 AM
    I like this program, used it through Psion , Palm and now BB. Anyone tried the Android version on a PlayBook? DDH Software NOT developing BB or PB anymore.
    Chris Bishop
    02-19-12 02:07 AM
    Handbase does not work in 7.1 on my 9900. I moved on to DBViewer plus. On the whole I'm better off. Nowhere near the features, but all I need is to read large, simple data bases. For that it is 10 times better.
    02-19-12 02:56 PM
    Don't be scared to contact the developer for HanDBase. In years of reviewing apps, he has been the MOST responsive. I still use HanDBase heavily.
    02-19-12 02:58 PM
    Don't be scared to contact the developer for HanDBase. In years of reviewing apps, he has been the MOST responsive. I still use HanDBase heavily.
    No more updates, sorry. They, like many devs, have no interest in BBOS. No money in it. The whole platform is dying.
    02-20-12 02:27 PM
    DBViewer Plus- before I switch, are there pre-written databases? HanDBase had hundreds. Not all good, but all there to try. Can I export-import my HanDBase databases?
    Chris Bishop
    02-28-12 08:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD