Yup - it's strange too, cuz no platform seems to have a good voip app. How do you bash BB for that when all platforms have the same problem.
    I am interested to hear the problems of VoIP apps on all the platform, and I am serious. I, myself, know a few issues with mobile VoIP apps, and like to hear your take on it. Because if only we know what the problems are, we can fix it. Not waiting for RIMM, Apple, and Google here.
    12-12-10 08:42 PM
    Yup - it's strange too, cuz no platform seems to have a good voip app. How do you bash BB for that when all platforms have the same problem.
    I don't know what you guys are going on about. A few months ago I tested some of the simpler SIP based VoIP apps for Android and they worked just fine connected over WIFI to a SIP server and yapping on the phone. What's your problem? Worked for me, was a free app. Wasn't even a big/major app at that, it just worked for what it was designed to do. Sure, it could have been more advanced, but it worked for the intended purposes.

Now, on the BB platform, you guys have to take so much time to develop something like this that it's no surprise that some devs charge 400% the amount they would for apps on the other platforms. That's the grip and intended purpose of this thread.
    12-12-10 08:44 PM
    Do me a favor. Take your sip app with your android device to an airport, or a trip to Dubai and see if it still works. Seriously and don't forget to use WIFI without paying $10 for access.

BTW. Which app were you talking about? I would like to see if it works since none of SIP apps from Android market and off market work on three of my Android tablets.
    Last edited by Aviator168; 12-12-10 at 09:18 PM.
    12-12-10 09:15 PM
    No one cares about your Android tablet who's name we've never heard of. Also, Dubai is known for god knows how much network traffic blocking, so your mileage will vary. And yes, the app still worked outside of the network as long as proper NAT and port rules was established for the internal SIP server and the respective public IP. Certain configuration prerequisites are required for the network traffic to flow... it's not the fault of the app if you're not aware that's a requirement. Port blocking on public WIFI networks also can't be blamed on the SIP app itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 12:44 AM
    No one cares about your Android tablet who's name we've never heard of.
    That's why those apps are free.

Also, Dubai is known for god knows how much network traffic blocking, so your mileage will vary. And yes, the app still worked outside of the network as long as proper NAT and port rules was established for the internal SIP server and the respective public IP. Certain configuration prerequisites are required for the network traffic to flow... it's not the fault of the app if you're not aware that's a requirement. Port blocking on public WIFI networks also can't be blamed on the SIP app itself.
    Here you go again. You don't seem to be a problem solver.
    12-13-10 08:37 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD