Hello All,

I finally got the invite to Google Voice. I read the following article:

Google Voice and Verizon - Tips and Tricks

Please observe this excerpt:

" Okay if you use Google Voice and have your Google number in your circle all INCOMING calls are free. The Google Voice app uses random GV numbers to dial out. These calls are NOT free as they are not placed through you GV number although your GV number will show up on the recipients number.

To make free out going calls you need an app from the Android market called GV. Once you�ve set it up all you do is hit your phone button and it asks you [to dial] or [use] GV. Press GV and press your contact and GV automatically dials your Google Voice number, enters your pin, selects 2, and dials your contact number. You will hear all of this just as if you had manually dialed your own Google Voice number. "

Can someone direct me to this app?

I already have the standard Google Voice App installed from m.google.com/voice ...
    06-17-10 12:51 PM

Can someone direct me to this app?

I already have the standard Google Voice App installed from m.google.com/voice ...
    It is the same app just for blackberry. GV is all the same, does not matter what phone you have. I think actual app is only available in android and bb tho
    06-17-10 01:26 PM
    I dial out from my GV on my S2 no problem, and it dials out to the same GV number which is redirected through Google. No minutes used.. While in GV, after you type the number you want to dial, select options "Call from Google Voice" instead of hitting the send button.
    06-17-10 01:26 PM
    I dial out from my GV on my S2 no problem, and it dials out to the same GV number which is redirected through Google. No minutes used.. While in GV, after you type the number you want to dial, select options "Call from Google Voice" instead of hitting the send button.
    I keep getting conflicting info on this... According to this recent post, minutes are used.

free calls with google voice?

Did you verify your billed minutes vs. non-GV calls and GV calls?
    06-17-10 04:15 PM
    I keep getting conflicting info on this... According to this recent post, minutes are used.
    Pureinsanity is mistaken. If you dial out from the GV BlackBerry app, it briefly shows your GV number... but then it dials an access number that is NOT your Google Voice number.

I guess you could add the access number to your F&F, but they may rotate so you don't get the same number all the time.

There are a couple of workarounds:

I can no longer recommend the WorldDialer app. After upgrading to OS .713
    on my Storm2, WorldDialer causes it to hang on the splash screen (aka Verizon Screen of Death) on reboots. I literally spent hours tracking down the cause, and can say with confidence that WorldDialer is causing the problem; it didn't hang until I installed WorldDialer, and it boots fine after deleting the WorldDialer COD with BBSAK.

Option 1) Buy the WorldDialer app, which was designed to use calling cards for international calls, but works great with GV, too. Added benefit: you can program multiple calling cards or GV numbers.

Once you have the app, you can use your GV number to call using the phone screen or your address book. Enter the # or highlight a contact, then hit the Menu key instead of the Send button, and choose "WorldDialer call" from the menu.

It sells for about ten bucks. I bought it on sale for five.
    Option 2) Include the GV dialing string in your address contacts, so you can dial through GV with one click. The contact's number would be:

*82GGGGGGGGGGppXXXXpp2ppNNNNNNNNNN#

G=your 10 digit GV number
    N=the number you want to call
    X=your GV PIN
    p=pause

*82 sends your caller ID if it's blocked. 2 tells GV you want to call out. If you have GV set to not require a PIN if you're calling from a recognized phone, drop the PIN and two pauses from the string.

*82GGGGGGGGGGpp2ppNNNNNNNNNN#
    Last edited by rlmesq; 06-23-10 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Warning about WorldDialer app
    06-17-10 05:38 PM
    I thought for sure that there was a way that you could call out for free using Google Voice. The link I posted said that there was using a special Android GV app.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Has anyone actually checked their phone bills to see if they were charged minutes using GV ?
    06-18-10 06:54 AM
    I haven't called out using the app so I don't know the incoming calls are free as long as the number is in your friends and family.
    06-18-10 11:49 AM
    so far my access # hasnt changed and its been already 6+ months. I have my GV # and my access # in my F&F and havent had a problem since! Just make sure you look at your screen to see the access # thats being dialed. So long as it doesnt change, your good! If it does, the new # will just stick around for a while so just update your F&F list and the next day your good to go again.
    06-18-10 11:58 AM
    so far my access # hasnt changed and its been already 6+ months. I have my GV # and my access # in my F&F and havent had a problem since! Just make sure you look at your screen to see the access # thats being dialed. So long as it doesnt change, your good! If it does, the new # will just stick around for a while so just update your F&F list and the next day your good to go again.
    I can verify that when I looked at my calling history, I have had the same dial out number (access number) as RicanMedic has suggested. I will add it to my Friends and Family plan today.

Rican, have you verified with your phone bill that you haven't been charged minutes and that everything is working free entirely? What about SMS?
    06-21-10 06:24 AM
    What about SMS?
    If you have GV set up to forward SMS sent to your GV number to your BB as SMS, them you'll get charged for the SMS messages you receive.

If you send & receive SMS through GV, it's all done with data so you won't get billed for the SMS.

You won't get charged for SMS sent via email, either. Unfortunately, you can't reply via email due to something funky about email sent through BB servers. To reply, you'll have to use the GV app or send an SMS through your BB.
    06-21-10 06:23 PM
    How long does it take to get an invite? Is there any way to expedite the process?
    06-21-10 08:14 PM
    How long does it take to get an invite? Is there any way to expedite the process?
    It helps if you know somebody with a spare invite who will hook you up.

Google Voice users get five invites with their new account. After the one I sent you, I'm out... sorry!
    06-22-10 04:03 AM
    One more note... if you're downloading the Google Voice app for Blackberry, first change the Browser ID on your BB to Firefox, then go to m.google.com and click on the voice link. If you leave Browser ID set to BB, it will take you to the Google Voice mobile webpage.
    06-22-10 04:05 AM
    So much for waiting for an invitation... Google Voice is out of beta, as of a few hours ago, and open to everyone.

Google Voice Leaves Beta, Now Open to Everyone
    06-22-10 06:22 PM
    How did you get your S2 keyboard to work to login to GV? My kb is not working for it.
    06-22-10 06:53 PM
    How did you get your S2 keyboard to work to login to GV? My kb is not working for it.
    Check your compatibility settings: Options>Applications , select Google Voice (no click), click the BB button, Disable compatibility mode
    06-22-10 07:33 PM
    Check your compatibility settings: Options>Applications , select Google Voice (no click), click the BB button, Disable compatibility mode
    App does not work properly on 713. It is true the compatibility mode has to be disabled, however, after sign in the first screen with the radio buttons (after signin) does not work properly.

When I exited the app the phone threw an exception, which required a battery pull. The app is now deleted...I'm sure google will fix this at some point.
    06-22-10 07:49 PM
    Thanks!
    06-22-10 08:04 PM
    Droid does!!!!!
    06-22-10 11:38 PM
    App does not work properly on 713. It is true the compatibility mode has to be disabled, however, after sign in the first screen with the radio buttons (after signin) does not work properly.

When I exited the app the phone threw an exception, which required a battery pull. The app is now deleted...I'm sure google will fix this at some point.
    The radio buttons are difficult, but they DO work with some patience and trial & error. The app seems to work fine even if you don't set the button to select your phone.

I've never had the problem with throwing exceptions in months of use on an S1 & S2. Did the battery pull resolve that issue? If it didn't repeat, it was probably one of those new app flukes that doesn't persist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-10 01:00 AM
    The radio buttons are difficult, but they DO work with some patience and trial & error. The app seems to work fine even if you don't set the button to select your phone.

I've never had the problem with throwing exceptions in months of use on an S1 & S2. Did the battery pull resolve that issue? If it didn't repeat, it was probably one of those new app flukes that doesn't persist.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It worked without issue after the second install. Thanks for the tip.
    06-23-10 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD