this is no bull **** if you don't believe me ill send you pictures of all the apps on my phone or better yet ill just make a small video and post but i have been running .148 on my blackberry storm and before that i had .141 my storm starts up right now is at 29.7mb app memory and battery lasts all day with intensive use i use email alot due to school and work, i text non stop the and check crackberry ever 3 min for new stuff because yeah im addicted no crashes ever but there is lag when im trying to check email use windows messenger and listen to music aside from that this phone works really well only problem is i want a "official os" to finally make my phone perfect

currently i have

application folder:
    weatherbug
    meterberry
    myspace
    facebook
    opera mini
    bbtran
    poynt
    berrytorch
    google synch
    beamreader
    level
    bolt
    shazam
    youtube
    youmail
    metronome
    wattpad
    pandora
    fmylife
    google maps
    starry night
    qik
    morse code
    capture it
    blackberry wallet
    amazone.com

game folder:
    brickbreaker
    crackberry smash
    stormsketch
    lightsaber
    berry labyrinth
    tiltrus
    teselaberry
    flight path
    shotgun
    ibee farting
    cointoss
    chess
    schizotone
    tankace
    par 72
    lights out
    stormsimon
    stormsweep
    stormdice
    tonepad

instantmessenger folder:
    windows messenger
    yahoo messenger

download folder:
    appworld
    crackberry app store
    05-22-09 05:52 PM
    Yep, you are correct sir. My memory started going downhill long before I got the Storm.
    05-22-09 05:55 PM
    hahaha zinng!
    05-22-09 05:59 PM
    And that's why you are not sitting at 56 MB free like the rest of us.
    05-22-09 06:33 PM
    Now take every one of those apps off your phone, uninstall whatever themes you have saved on the phone, go back to the way the phone was stock (without downgrading the OS), and let us know what your app memory looks like then. That would be the only way to prove your statement, "The amount of apps on your phone does not affect your memory."
    05-22-09 06:34 PM
    I don't think the apps installed makes a difference. Hear me out... App memory total=128MB; Storm has 128MB RAM. RAM is not consumed by installed programs, but by running programs. I haven't done any tests on this theory, but it makes sense to me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 06:43 PM
    I don't think the apps installed makes a difference. Hear me out... App memory total=128MB; Storm has 128MB RAM. RAM is not consumed by installed programs, but by running programs. I haven't done any tests on this theory, but it makes sense to me.

Fair enough... then this would be the perfect test...
    05-22-09 06:47 PM
    Nothing to sneeze at, but I have 63 apps and, YES, it does affect your memory a bit. At least when you have a custom theme and friends who send you lame MMS messages every 10 min.

05-22-09 06:48 PM

Here goes my explaination as to why it does take memory.

First of all, the Storm doesn't have any RAM. It has flash memory that is partitioned in two sections, Device Memory and Application Memory.

When you install an application, it goes into the Device Memory. BUT, the application meta-data is also loaded into the Application Memory, regardless if it is started or not (this enables RIM to display an icon in your menus). In order to do that, RIM needs to load the .cod package into App memory. So, if you download an application that is, let's say 800 kb, you just lost 800 kb of Applicaton Memory (some of it will be collected by the garbage collector, but not all of it). Add 25 kb per application for state information and icon placement.

It adds up pretty quickly the more you have applications.
    05-22-09 06:52 PM
    Yeah well I believe in actually having a smart phone do as much as it posibly can. I don't want to have 50+ mb of memory with nothing on it that's just boring I would go back to a self defence nokia if I was to do that.
    But yeah morf ill do a full wipe tonight and get back to you on that. I'm listening to music, talking to my gf on win live, and typing this reply with a steady 25mb mem and 76% battery life haven't quickpull or charged since 5am today. I also have no themes they are always leaky faucets

05-22-09 06:54 PM
    Yeah well I believe in actually having a smart phone do as much as it posibly can. I don't want to have 50+ mb of memory with nothing on it that's just boring I would go back to a self defence nokia if I was to do that.
    But yeah morf ill do a full wipe tonight and get back to you on that. I'm listening to music, talking to my gf on win live, and typing this reply with a steady 25mb mem and 76% battery life haven't quickpull or charged since 5am today. I also have no themes they are always leaky faucets

I'm just curious what it will show. I don't really expect you to wipe your phone for the sake of an experiment, but in all honesty, I would love to see the results. There are a lot of conflicting facts/theories about this. It would just be an interesting experiment.
    05-22-09 06:56 PM

First of all, the Storm doesn't have any RAM. It has flash memory that is partitioned in two sections, Device Memory and Application Memory.

When you install an application, it goes into the Device Memory. BUT, the application meta-data is also loaded into the Application Memory, regardless if it is started or not (this enables RIM to display an icon in your tmenus). In order to do that, RIM needs to load the .cod package into App memory. So, if you download an application that is, let's say 800 kb, you just lost 800 kb of Applicaton Memory (some of it will be collected by the garbage collector, but not all of it). Add 25 kb per application for state information and icon placement.

I could have sworn that I read the Storm has RAM but of course I can't find anything that supports that so I'll chalk it up to me misremembering. Thanks for the explanation! Along with that explanation, my theory makes no sense but something else occurs to me: if it's partitioned flash, is there any hope of partitioning the memory differently? I can do it to my computer, why not my berry?

05-22-09 07:03 PM

When you install an application, it goes into the Device Memory. BUT, the application meta-data is also loaded into the Application Memory, regardless if it is started or not (this enables RIM to display an icon in your menus). In order to do that, RIM needs to load the .cod package into App memory. So, if you download an application that is, let's say 800 kb, you just lost 800 kb of Applicaton Memory (some of it will be collected by the garbage collector, but not all of it). Add 25 kb per application for state information and icon placement.

This was proven wrong earlier in a different thread when they were trying to figure out how to make normal memory into app memory. It is somewhat true about the icons but if you have only 16 icons on your home screen your fine
    Again don't use themes because there's a reason why rim hasn't fixed the color banding it saves parts of the phones resources for parts that actually matter. Any theme used that's not the original will always eat up memory

05-22-09 07:08 PM
    Well Here is the Challenge and this is no easy task
    This is only for the true hardcore programmers noobs need not apply

Right now i got the latest in the hybrid os 141/5 and it is great. given the fact that i only use my microsd for all media i dont need the device memory at all, now it seems to me that the device memory and the application memory use the same physical source of memory, seeing as how there are some amazing programmers and developers and hackers out there, i decided to try my best in provoking them to take on this task.

The Task is simple Get rid of device memory, by merging it onto application memory!

And what are the spoils of victory here well that's simple who ever can successfully do this task will flip the Storm user community upside down, this will make the storm a beast with nearly unlimited amount of progarms running at least at this point of time and will also make the storm nearly lag free in all respects!

so there it is
    that pretty much started the whole idea

QUOTE=Romple;2544059]The Storm uses a Samsung MCP fusion memory chip. It has NAND flash memory and mobile DDR 2 ON THE SAME CHIP...

There is no "partition". There's two physically different types of memory on one chip - oneNAND and MobileDDR.

Here, this is the type of chip in the Storm:

SAMSUNG Semiconductor - products - fusion memory

If you want more app memory, RIM needs to use a higher density chip, and do some programming so the CPU can properly address it all...[/QUOTE]

and thats what pretty much killed the idea
    05-22-09 07:40 PM
    I have quite a few and start up with 24.9mb or so, but not as much as you. The apps that run constantly run down your mem.

05-22-09 07:49 PM
    Wow, lots of misinformation here.

Facts:
    - Installing applications decreases free application memory.
    - The Storm has RAM.
    - Application memory is not RAM.

The Storm has 1 GB of internal flash, or device memory. 128 MB of that flash is allocated as application space, the rest is allocated as data space. The Storm also has 192 MB of traditional RAM. These memory spaces are used as follows:

1. When they are running, the Operating System (OS) and applications both use the 192 MB of traditional RAM like your computer does. Temporary, volatile storage.

2. All applications are stored in the application space. Whatever room is free in the application space is used by the OS for paging when your phone is running, similar to what your computer does with its hard drive and swap file. Applications can only be stored and run from the application space.

3. The data space is used for an internal file system, as well as storage of things like pictures, ring tones, etc. You cannot store and run applications from the data space.

So, when you install applications the free space in the application block decreases. And because the application block is also used for paging, the free space fluctuates over time as you use your phone.
    05-22-09 08:39 PM
    that pretty much started the whole idea
    and thats what pretty much killed the idea
    That person was confusing application memory with RAM, and was claiming that the amount of application memory couldn't be increased because it was a fixed size on the chip. This is wrong. The chip does contain both flash and RAM, but application memory is flash, not RAM. It is a "partition" of the total flash space.
    05-22-09 08:45 PM
    so moving away from the original thread is it actually possible to change the partition size of the flash memory disregarding the huge drain on the batter? i would definatly get a bigger battery if that ment adding even more applications than i already have on my phone?
    05-22-09 08:58 PM
    this is no bull **** if you don't believe me ill send you pictures of all the apps on my phone or better yet ill just make a small video and post but i have been running .148 on my blackberry storm and before that i had .141 my storm starts up right now is at 29.7mb app memory and battery lasts all day with intensive use i use email alot due to school and work, i text non stop the and check crackberry ever 3 min for new stuff because yeah im addicted no crashes ever but there is lag when im trying to check email use windows messenger and listen to music aside from that this phone works really well only problem is i want a "official os" to finally make my phone perfect

currently i have

application folder:
    weatherbug
    meterberry
    myspace
    facebook
    opera mini
    bbtran
    poynt
    berrytorch
    google synch
    beamreader
    level
    bolt
    shazam
    youtube
    youmail
    metronome
    wattpad
    pandora
    fmylife
    google maps
    starry night
    qik
    morse code
    capture it
    blackberry wallet
    amazone.com

game folder:
    brickbreaker
    crackberry smash
    stormsketch
    lightsaber
    berry labyrinth
    tiltrus
    teselaberry
    flight path
    shotgun
    ibee farting
    cointoss
    chess
    schizotone
    tankace
    par 72
    lights out
    stormsimon
    stormsweep
    stormdice
    tonepad

instantmessenger folder:
    windows messenger
    yahoo messenger

download folder:
    appworld
    crackberry app store

Is that because of the .148 OS? You have 4 times my apps and I start at 29M. Maybe its time to switch.
    05-22-09 09:08 PM
    user error?
    05-22-09 09:25 PM
    or maybe this user is just that freaking amazing ever think about that =p try it out no joke the storm can handle the abuse of this addict
    05-22-09 09:28 PM
    so moving away from the original thread is it actually possible to change the partition size of the flash memory disregarding the huge drain on the batter? i would definatly get a bigger battery if that ment adding even more applications than i already have on my phone?
    RIM would have to do this.
    05-22-09 09:29 PM
    RIM would have to do this.
    well... thanks for bursting my bubble =] jk great job on clarifying this. so i guess it must be the storms new os that is doing a good job of keeping the memory stable i do still need that battery pull once a day to keep it running and i dont experience lag untill around 1am when the memory is down to 15mb
    05-22-09 09:38 PM
    I barely have any apps on my phone and I'm lucky to boot with 25 mb. I'm running 148 right now and this has been the case with the other leaks as well..... I'm also running the stock theme.

05-22-09 09:42 PM
    I barely have any apps on my phone and I'm lucky to boot with 25 mb. I'm running 148 right now and this has been the case with the other leaks as well..... I'm also running the stock theme.

Try wiping your phone and reinstsalling the OS. I did that and went from 25mb to 55mb (before installing any apps).

Also why doesn't RIM just expand the applications space, especially if it means re adjusting the partitions? The memory availability is there we just can't use it. They should definitely do this, especially with App world out now.

05-22-09 10:02 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD