I started one or two other threads about how I always get App Error 523 (I have .86 now but I have always been getting it every few hours/sometime during the day with every beta OS). I have wiped several times and practically uninstalled all 3rd party apps at some point, and nothing has ever seemed to stop it from happening. I pasted my Event Log from right before and after the error/crash (hopefully it copied enough at the lowest part that it shows from right before the crash and not just after the reboot). Can anyone make anything useful of this? I'm convinced it is OS related except that my buddy's Storm with .86 and MORE 3rd party apps has never gotten it once and some others haven't either. Keep in mind this usually happens to mine with no notice at any given time when I pick it up, and nothing suspicious happening prior to it. Like I said, ever since trying .83, and now .86, this has always happened randomly, even after wipes and restores. Help me!! (ALSO, this is happening not only on my current Storm, but both ones I has prior to this one that has been returned...and basically no 3rd party apps are running in the b/g).

EDIT: All events that I had captured were after the error unfortunately...see below for REAL entries right during error/crash
    Last edited by just4747; 01-20-09 at 10:37 AM.
    01-20-09 09:43 AM
    I used to get this error as well when I would either text message or blackberry message alot. It was why I returned the device as Verizon could not provide a solution.
    01-20-09 09:56 AM
    Pshh I've literally gotten the error again just now, within 30 minutes of having it the time I mentioned above. It's ridiculous. I thought maybe it happens more where at work where I get service a lot less, but truthfully it happens almost as much at home. Jesus, nothing special or out-of-the-ordinary is happening on the phone when this happens (that I can see) and like I said, this wasn't exclusive to this phone..it happened to both Storm's I had earlier. What could be causing this so fricken often????? It is wasting my time every time it has to reboot forever and it is killing my battery each time as well. ****in' Storm..

EDIT:

This time I see the exact log entries RIGHT before the app error 523 happened. I will type them below..this is some good info I think. Help me!, someone knowledgeable must be able to make something of these (keep in mind it goes from bottom to top in time-order):

Everything later (above) this is Startup processes
    a System (System Startup) 1/20 10:44:36
    a System (VM: 100086 gc=0 idle=0 native=net.rim.vm.Process.destroy) 1/20 10:44:36
    a System (System process died) 1/20 10:44:36
    a System (App Error 523) 1/20 10:44:36
    a System (VM: +BORK) 1/20 10:44:36
    a Java Exception (this entry is really long, so didn't type it) 1/20 10:44:36
    a Java Exception (VM:SPD1 net_rim_cldc Object wait 0x928A net_rim_os-4 MdpWaitingQueueNotificationThread run 0x1B69)1/20 10:44:36
    Earlier (lower) than these are several (upwards of 50+) entries that are named "a Java Exception" also, each with different info inside
    Last edited by just4747; 01-20-09 at 10:40 AM.
    01-20-09 10:04 AM
    Amen brother. Can't tell you how many times I pull it out of the holster only to find it's stuck on Apperror....
    01-20-09 10:13 AM
    Keep this at the top because I know that many people are suffering from this without a clue as to why. See above for the event log right during the App Error 523! Help!!!
    01-20-09 10:39 AM
    I have never experienced this error on my Storm. My wife, however, got this error more than a few times on her's and she is quite annoyed by these. Rather weird, considering the OS is the same on the both phones (.86) and the set of installed apps is almost identical. Hardware differences?
    01-20-09 12:19 PM
    Same here...I get it all the time (with all 3 Storms I've had) but a co-worker who also has the Storm with .86 and similar 3rd party apps, has never gotten it. We also work in the same room so service is about the same for both I would assume (in case signal is related in any way).
    01-20-09 12:24 PM
    Come on, doesn't someone with coding/BB knowledge have any idea what exactly is happening in those events and if there's a possible workaround?
    01-21-09 09:16 AM
    Could you provide more info?

-are you activated with BES?
    -do you have content protection or encryption enabled?
    -does it give you just the 523 error and hang? or does it reboot seconds after.

Just by taking a quick look at the event log looks like something that has to do with VVM was causing this? do you have VVM installed?
    01-21-09 09:26 AM
    Sure, sorry..

-BIS, not BES...it's a personal device.
    -I don't believe any kind of protection or encryption is enabled.
    -It is the App Error 523 screen that everyone pretty much knows..the completely white screen (landscape view only) with little letters spelling out app error 523 in the middle and the tiny Reset button below that. You have to press the tiny button for it to reboot or it'll sit like that until you do.

I have the default VVM app completely uninstalled and I currently use the combination of the YouMail service with the VyMail Visual VM app. It is installed and working properly on my device as of right now but I have also gotten the error when I had been removing apps (including that one) to see what was causing the issue.

EDIT: and the events mention "VM" not "VVM", so I don't think it is referring to Visual Voicemail like you said. All I see that could be something is the "VM" and the "a Java Exceptions" which there were TONS of below (earlier) than the events I pasted above, each with different info when you click on one in the log. This part also intrigues me as it seems like it has something to do with whatever process needed to end when the error happened: "(VM: 100086 gc=0 idle=0 native=net.rim.vm.Process.destroy)"
    Last edited by just4747; 01-21-09 at 10:14 AM.
    01-21-09 09:57 AM
    I got it once due to weatherbug. Haven't seen it since though.
    01-21-09 10:12 AM
    I was getting it frequently as well until I uninstalled Viigo. I haven't seen it since.
    01-21-09 10:19 AM
    I posted a similar comment with my own event log over in another thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/ap...ml#post1448772

I recently wiped my phone, installed .86, installed the gmail app, installed google maps, and then received the app error. I didn't have anything else installed. I uninstalled gmail and google maps and haven't had an app error since. (It's only been two days, but that's better than the way it had been going) That leads me to believe it's being caused by one of those two programs. Do you use either of them?

And the last time this happened, I noticed my gmail app icon had changed to one of the default folder icons. It then switched back before my eyes and a message popped up saying something about settings had been changed. I clicked ok and got the error. Has anyone experienced anything like that?

Also, if you don't want to type out your event log, you can copy the event log's contents and paste it into an email to yourself. Then you can copy the text you want and paste it here for us to see. If you use the "code" tags, it will keep it from getting too long in your post.
    01-21-09 10:29 AM
    Neither of those apps are on my phone. I think this might be caused by VyMail (in my case; see bolded paragraph below for my thoughts on that) since I keep seeing "VM" in the eventlog (unless that's something else common?). BUT no one else that uses VyMail is having this error so that throws me off completely. Also, I had just gotten the error again and I happen to be waiting for my text message from YouMail to show I had a new voicemail, plus VyMail would have grabbed the info from YouMail to visually show in the list that I had a new voicemail.
    Coincidence?

The only other thing running all the time is Google Talk but I have already gotten rid of it before and still got the error.

So in the end I think the apps themselves are fine, they just aren't always compatible with some of these beta OSs at certain times. I hope that's the case because I really want VyMail and a few other apps on my phone without having to worry about them...

Oh and I know about the pasting log thing, but I only needed those few entries, plus there was too much info copied to be able to paste into an e-mail..it said text too long.
    Last edited by just4747; 01-21-09 at 10:44 AM.
    01-21-09 10:39 AM
    I use VyMail as well, but it wasn't installed on my phone at the time of my last app error. It does seem more and more likely that these are random crashes.
    01-21-09 10:43 AM
    Yeah I just really hope a next beta OS fixes this because it's happening so frequently no matter what I try. There's already so much the next betas need to fix, the chances of them fixing every little complaint we all have are so unlikely... kinda sucks.
    So I'm guessing that someone with the first official VZW OS (.76 right?) wouldn't get these errors/crashes with any of these apps loaded (or not loaded)? I wonder if it differs since we're all using betas by now..
    01-21-09 12:00 PM
    The first official verizon OS was .65. And I don't remember getting app errors before .83, so it could be beta issues. Only time will tell I guess.
    01-21-09 12:04 PM
    I'd say wipe using java commander and reloading the OS. if that doesn't work then time for a new phone. looks like you've done a good bit of troubleshooting yourself, always good to see
    01-21-09 12:22 PM
    Nope whtciv, done all of that. I said above that I wiped several times and reloaded the OS and restored and/or reinstalled every app that I wanted to have and still get the error randomly. And it's definitely not a device-specific issue because not only have I had THREE Storms in total that would all randomly get this error but also as you can see, many others do as well. So I believe it is simply a compatiblity problem with the beta OSs and either certain 3rd party apps or just default Storm apps (I say that because people have been known to get this error even with no 3rd party apps on the phone!).

Hopefully someone can figure out something...
    01-21-09 03:08 PM
    hopefully.....about ready to ship this thing
    01-22-09 12:53 PM
    Anyone experiencing the app error 523 try upgrading to .90? I'll report back after I've upgraded tonight.
    01-22-09 01:06 PM
    I had this issue with .86, even after I downgraded to .75 it continued. It was so bad I had VZ send replacement (fourth one BTW). I theorized that .86 did something really nasty to the phone.

I upgraded the replacement to .85 and it worked great. Now I'm on .90 and so far so good.
    01-22-09 02:27 PM
    Did you do a backup of everything from your old phone and then restore it to the replacement phone? I'm wondering if a database corruption might be the culprit.
    01-22-09 02:31 PM
    It could be the cause..I've always restored my databases like phone book and memos back over but doesn't app error mean a specific application running or installed? Not sure, but it could be since all 3 Storm's I've had have had this error.
    01-23-09 08:24 AM
    It's just a guess, but I'm going to try selectively restoring databases and see what happens. I was running .90 just fine until I reinstalled gmail though. I'm about 95% sure my problems are related to gmail.
    01-23-09 08:27 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD