I saw that too...Not sure what the deal is...The keyboard is always showing and it doesn't shift when turned to landscape.

It's a bit clunky to change the options, but beyond that(for me), it's not that big of a deal.

I like having it set(in options) to show my location on Google Maps and let it update. Nice work around for the aGPS problems in google maps...
    When I first installed it, I hit the "Run" option and it was out of compatability mode (full screen, no keyboard). After that, it went into compat. mode.

As far as the Google Maps option, can you ellaborate (I'm inside at work, so can't test it out myself)?
    02-05-09 02:59 PM
    As far as the Google Maps option, can you ellaborate (I'm inside at work, so can't test it out myself)?
    Once you get your location, click the bb button and there is 'show current loc on map' along with other options (GPS details, List Saved Locations, Device Details, Options etc)

The default is set to show your location in BBmaps, but in the options portion of the program you can set the map program to Google Maps, the option just below that allows for your location to update.

Hope this helps...
    02-05-09 03:08 PM
    Once you get your location, click the bb button and there is 'show current loc on map' along with other options (GPS details, List Saved Locations, Device Details, Options etc)

The default is set to show your location in BBmaps, but in the options portion of the program you can set the map program to Google Maps, the option just below that allows for your location to update.

Hope this helps...
    Good stuff, thanks. I'll be testing it after work.
    02-05-09 03:12 PM
    GPS can provide altitude. However, to get a 3-D fix (an altitude fix) you need at least 4 satellites. To use GPS for Aviation purposes, you must have at least 5 satellites (for RAIM purposes). A 2-D fix can be acquired with just 3 satellites.
    02-05-09 03:21 PM
    I have gotten altitude on both Instamapper and GPSed. However, both were inaccurate. I think they do a decent job of showing relative altitude (you're at 800 feet then 900 feet, so you went up 100 feet). GPSed always shows me as being about 750 feet BELOW sea level. Which I believe might be wrong for the Twin Cities since, ya know, it's way off.
    02-05-09 04:07 PM
    jeepguy said it right ...... 2D requires 3 satellites, 3D requires 4 (to provide elevation data). Most dedicated GPS navigation units (marine, avionics, even many street and recreation models now) track 12 GPS satellite signals simultaneously, pick the best 4 for triangulation angles to provide the most accurate fix, and track which one will become the next best one as the poorest one falls off. Then add in the WAAS and other augmentation signals .... way more sophisticated than the GPS system in a BlackBerry (or any other "phone" device).

Stated accuracy of GPS without augmentation systems is 10m -- the typical accuracy you will see with a BlackBerry. YMMV depending on satellite arrangement. With the augmentation systems the accuracy gets down to inches (on more sophisticated devices). Surveyors use a very local very high accuracy augmentation system that is accurate to 0.1"

Remember the cellphone GPS requirement was to provide 100 foot accuracy to locate a device in response to an emergency call. The BlackBerries are providing much better accuracy than that, but they aren't in the accurate elevation game yet.

They're pretty dog-gone accurate though -- compare them with a good navigation GPS sometime and they're pretty amazing for just an "add-on" attribute.
    02-05-09 04:58 PM
    http :// f5bbutil.sourceforge.net/signalloc/download/signalloc. jad
    Thank you sir.
    02-05-09 07:57 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD