Writing this just in case it helps:

If you have installed an app that collects and sends your email address (a way to contact you) and the list of the apps you have installed (or running from time to time) (shows what you are interested in), then they can send you spam emails (directed spam because they have some idea about what you like).
    It doesn't help if you delete that app if it has already sent your data to a server at some point before.

Without making any statement, but just by guessing, I assume the vendors for the apps you are spamed about are paying the company that sits with your data (email, interest) somehow. Those vendors don't need to have any app on your BB, but might still be able to pay to get your attention (spam you).
    Which permission(s) would I need to deny for apps to not have access to my 'installed apps' list? Also, if I deny the WiFi and internet permissions, is that enough to prevent these apps from transmitting whatever data they're collecting?
    Last edited by raino; 07-15-12 at 04:12 PM.
    07-15-12 04:08 PM
    I too had the Flashlight 2 in 1 app by Motek Americas Inc on my 9810 and for a while there I got spammed each and every day for a week straight. It calmed down to once a week though.

It just happened today too (hijacks the Torch's vibration setting into a really long vibe alert) but I can not see any spam emails in my message folders so I must have deleted it right away. Anyhow, I have suspected it was from the Motek App previously and now seeing how many of you have the same app with the spamming comments I decided to delete it and will monitor what transpires going forward. If I get more then I will report back.

It was a good app otherwise but now I don't trust them though so I will never purchase it from them. I think I might buy a version from their competitors instead.
    08-22-12 12:24 PM
    I'm starting to get these on a regular basis now. I've been a die hard blackberry user for nearly a decade now and I've put up with a lot of "issues" along the way without questioning my mobile device choices, but THIS it the kind of BS that could very well tip the scales in favor of another platform.

Are you listening RIM? This is NOT the time for your company to start pissing off the customer base you still have!
    You got it! Talk about a quick way to make a die-hard BB lover bounce. ADS/SPAM
    09-16-12 03:06 PM
    Hi, allow me to clear up some misunderstanding with our in-app notifications. We use them to let our customers know of new updates and features, helpful usage tips, requests for reviews, new messages from apps such as PinShare, and cross promoting other Motek apps. We do not send you notifications on behalf of other developers; only our products. All our notifications look like miniaturized icons of the app which the notification originates from and they are always accessible in their respective inbox from the View Folders option of your messages area. These messages are not addressed to the email accounts registered on the device.

We do not send unsolicited messages to the contacts on your phone and we do not share your personal information with 3rd parties.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about Motek apps or app permissions.

nige
    10-04-12 04:03 PM
    If you can get the developer's name, go to options>device>application management and deny them permissions for connectivity (internet, WiFi, etc.) and user data. This might work.
    Thank you Raino - worked like a charm. No more SPAM from NewGen!
    10-21-12 03:11 AM
    Hi, allow me to clear up some misunderstanding with our in-app notifications. We use them to let our customers know of new updates and features, helpful usage tips, requests for reviews, new messages from apps such as PinShare, and cross promoting other Motek apps.
    Those notifications are still unwanted, unsolicited, and basically SPAM... stop them!
    raino and DaFoxGrey like this.
    10-21-12 05:20 AM
    I have your Flashlight app and I get the message icon. Your FAQ says to use View Folders to find the "Inbox (Flashlight 2 for 1)" folder and then I can read and delete the notification.

Well there is is no such folder when I follow that procedure, so I am stuck with your notification clogging up my phone. So I have a notification I did not sign up for that I cannot delete.

I appreciate that your software is free and you may try and make up for that with notifications, but how about giving us an option?
    12-03-12 07:18 PM
    Which permission(s) would I need to deny for apps to not have access to my 'installed apps' list? Also, if I deny the WiFi and internet permissions, is that enough to prevent these apps from transmitting whatever data they're collecting?
    I don't think that there is any BB OS permission that can stop a Java app from getting a list of installed apps.

However, as you have also mentioned it is a good practice to go through the Connection Permissions (found in BB Options > Application Management) for your installed apps and deny any permissions that a particular app shouldn't need.
    For example, a flashlight app shouldn't have access to USB, Bluetooth, Phone, Location Data, Server Network, Internet, WiFi and NFC.

It is also very important to do the same thing for User Data (also found in BB Options > Application Management) so that no app get access to your Emails, Organizer Data, Files, Security Data and Secure Element (used for secure NFC transactions), unless that app really need those to function properly.
    raino likes this.
    12-03-12 10:47 PM
    I've been getting spammed from AppForBB.com for a while now. I just switched BlackBerry and I lled my Flashlight 2 for 1 app t this point, yet I'm still getting spammed with these app ads. It seems to be consistently advertising the Photo Time Stamp app for me lately. I'm going to try re-installing the Flashlight app and blocking the permissions accordingly, which seems a bit of an odd step, as it seems it's going straight to my PIN (don't see these ads in any mailboxes on the computer, so assuming it's either my BlackBerry.net e-mail, or my PIN, but I don't see a header when receiving it, so I'm leaning more-so towards the PIN).
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    03-23-13 08:28 AM
    I've been getting spammed from AppForBB.com for a while now. I just switched BlackBerry and I lled my Flashlight 2 for 1 app t this point, yet I'm still getting spammed with these app ads. It seems to be consistently advertising the Photo Time Stamp app for me lately. I'm going to try re-installing the Flashlight app and blocking the permissions accordingly, which seems a bit of an odd step, as it seems it's going straight to my PIN (don't see these ads in any mailboxes on the computer, so assuming it's either my BlackBerry.net e-mail, or my PIN, but I don't see a header when receiving it, so I'm leaning more-so towards the PIN).
    I had tried to "lock down" Flashlight 2 for 1 in permissions, by blocking access to various "online" systems. The app would then either not work or cause allow/block pop ups for the permissions every time to tried to run it.

Yes, they do seem to be PIN and not email messages. There are no headers and you can not forward them.
    Try blocking PIN on your firewall if you do not use it or block PIN with Contacts as Exceptions.
    Options/Security/Firewall
    That was one thing I had not tried.
    03-25-13 11:52 AM
    K, will definite try going the firewall route, thank you DaFoxGrey.
    03-25-13 10:40 PM
    You must do the following in order to solve this:
    - Options -> Device -> Application Management
    A list of applications will be displayed
    Look for applications from JaredCo or SRID. These are well know free apps spammers.
    Delete them
    Restart your blackberry
    You will not receive those annoying notifications from them in your bb.

If you keep receiving notifications, check your installed apps in the list and delete the one you may be suspicious (one by one) until you find out which one was the cause.

Hope this works!.
    JM
    05-03-13 02:08 PM
    I finally found out mine keeps coming from Camera Timer by Parachute Mobile. Pathetic since its a paid app that keeps pushing spam.

Sent from my Crackberry using Tapatalk
    05-26-13 01:20 PM
    Thanks! That saved me.
    06-16-13 07:15 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD